This Italian favorite features firm ciabatta bread packed with crisp, breaded chicken, garlicky broccoli rabe, and melted provolone.
Makes 4 sandwiches
4 (4-6 ounces) chicken cutlets (about ½-inch thickness)
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch broccoli rabe, stems removed*
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon salt
4 torpedo rolls or ciabatta rolls
8 slices provolone cheese
1. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk, crushed red pepper, and salt.
2. Place flour in a separate wide, shallow bowl. Repeat with breadcrumbs.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil.
4. Dip one chicken cutlet at a time in the flour, then in the egg mixture, allowing excess to drip into the bowl. Dredge in the bread crumbs, ensuring that the entire cutlet is evenly coated. Add to the skillet, and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp. Place on a paper-towel lined dish. Repeat with remaining slices.
5. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Boil broccoli rabe for 2 minutes; drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water. “Shocking” the rabe will maintain its vivid green color.
6. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic. Sauté until garlic starts to turn golden. Add broccoli rabe, crushed red pepper, and salt. Sauté 1-2 minutes more until just tender.
7. Place one split roll on a clean work surface. Place chicken cutlet on the bottom half of the roll. Top with ¼ of the broccoli rabe and 2 slices of cheese. Place under a broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
*Shopping Note: Broccoli rabe, also known as rapini, rape, and broccoli raab, is a popular Italian vegetable. It looks like slender broccoli and has a sharp, slightly bitter flavor. It is available at Italian markets as well as most major supermarkets.
Substitute veal cutlets for chicken.