Fontana Ordinances

  • Sec. 74-87. - Operation on certain premises prohibited and designation of snowmobile routes.


    No person shall operate a snowmobile on or over any public park, place, highway, street, alley or over any other facility owned or operated by the village, or other public entity, including but not limited to the Fontana Grade School or village parking lots, except:


    Persons may operate a snowmobile on and over the routes established in subsection (b) of this section, and under the conditions set forth in subsection (b); or


    Persons may operate a snowmobile over the property set forth in subsection (a)(1) only as to travel between a residence and the nearest designated route set forth below for the purpose of driving into or out of the village or to and from a snowmobile dealership in the village for service.


    Except as provided in §§ 350.02 and 350.045, Wis. Stats., or for snowmobile events authorized in accordance with § 350.04, Wis. Stats., the following routes and trails are designated as routes of travel for snowmobiles, but only as access into and out of the village, and are not to be used for practice or amusement purposes:


    On Shabbona Drive from the Castle Gate to the intersection of Shabbona Drive and Sauganash Drive.


    Indian Hills Road from South Shore Drive south to the village limits.


    Main Street.


    Dewey Avenue.


    Stearns Road west to the village limits.

    The highways designated as snowmobile routes shall be marked in accordance with § 350.13, Wis. Stats., establishing uniform trail signs and standards.

    (Code 1989, § 12.30(3))

  • Sec. 74-88. - Additional regulations applying to the operation of snowmobiles within the village.


    Speed limit. In addition to the requirements of § 350.10(1), Wis. Stats., no person shall operate a snowmobile at a speed in excess of the posted or statutorily fixed speed limit.


    Unattended snowmobiles. No person shall leave or allow a snowmobile to remain unattended on any public highway or property while the motor is running or with the starting key in the ignition.

    (Code 1989, § 12.30(4))

  • Sec. 74-89. - Prohibited operation of snowmobile.


    Penalties; intoxicants; refusal.


    Except as provided under subsections (b) and (c) of this section, a person who violates § 350.101(1)(a) or (b) or § 350.104(5), Wis. Stats., shall forfeit not less than $400.00 nor more than $550.00.


    Except as provided under subsection (c) of this section, a person who violates § 350.101(1)(a) or (b) or § 350.104(5), Wis. Stats., and who, within five years prior to the arrest for the current violation, was convicted previously under the intoxicated snowmobiling law or the refusal law shall be fined not less than $300.00 nor more than $1,000.00 and shall be imprisoned not less than five days nor more than six months.


    A person who violates § 350.101(1)(a) or (b) or § 350.104(5), Wis. Stats., and who, within five years prior to the arrest for the current violation, was convicted two or more times previously under the intoxicated snowmobiling law or refusal law shall be fined not less than $600.00 nor more than $2,000.00 and shall be imprisoned not less than 30 days nor more than one year in the county jail.


    A person who violates § 350.101(1)(c) or § 350.104(5), Wis. Stats., and who has not attained the age of 19 shall forfeit not more than $50.00.


    Penalties related to failure to stop and for causing injury while under influence of intoxicants. A person who violates § 350.101(2) or § 350.17(2), Wis. Stats., shall be fined not less than $300.00 nor more than $2,000.00 and may be imprisoned for not less than 30 days nor more than one year in the county jail.


    Sentence of detention. The legislature intends that courts use the sentencing option under § 973.03(4), Wis. Stats., whenever appropriate for persons subject to subsection (a)(2) or (3) or subsection (b) of this section. The use of this option can result in significant cost savings for the state and local governments.


    Calculation of previous convictions. In determining the number of previous convictions under subsection (a)(2) and (3), convictions arising out of the same incident or occurrence shall be counted as one previous conviction.


    Reporting convictions to the department of natural resources. Whenever a person is convicted of a violation of the intoxicated snowmobiling law, the clerk of the court in which the conviction occurred, or the justice, judge or magistrate of a court not having a clerk, shall forward to the department of natural resources the record of such conviction. The record of conviction forwarded to the department of natural resources shall state whether the offender was involved in an accident at the time of the offense.


    Alcohol, controlled substances or controlled substance analogs; assessment. In addition to any other penalty or order, a person who violates § 350.101(1) or (2) or § 350.104(5), Wis. Stats., or who violates § 940.09 or § 940.25, Wis. Stats., if the violation involves the operation of a snowmobile, shall be ordered by the court to submit to and comply with an assessment by an approved public treatment facility for an examination of the person's use of alcohol, controlled substance or controlled substance analogs. The assessment order shall comply with § 343.30(1q)(c)1.a. to c., Wis. Stats. Intentional failure to comply with an assessment ordered under this subsection constitutes contempt of court, punishable under ch. 785, Wis. Stats.


    Replacement of signs, standards. In addition to the other penalties under this section, the court may order the defendant to restore or replace any uniform snowmobile trail sign or standard that the defendant removed, damaged, defaced, moved or obstructed.

OPEN CARRYING OF FIREARMS: The Village has amended its ordinance to come in compliance with the open carry law which allows  the carrying of firearms in plain view except in public buildings, public parks/property and private business where posted.

SMOKING: The Village has adopted the state law regarding the banning of smoking in many public places.

DOGS: Dogs are allowed on the beach from October 15th until April 1st but are prohibited the rest of the year.  Dogs are  permitted in Reid Park and baseball diamonds, but they must be on a leash and all waste must be picked up.  Dogs are now allowed at the village compost area near the Duck Pond Recreational area.  Please have control of your pets at all time and make sure to pick up their waste. Dogs over six months of age must be licensed by the Village. Licenses can be obtained at the Village Hall.

HOUSE NUMBERING: To help locate homes faster in emergencies and non emergencies  the Village has an ordinance requiring your house number (house number, not pier number) to be visible .  We suggest numbers that are at least 3-4 inches in height and in a color that sticks out from your house so it will be clearly visible. If your house is not visible from the street number your mail box. This helps any responding emergency personnel to find the location quickly.

FIREWORKS: Possession and use of fireworks are prohibited inside the Village unless a permit is obtained from the Village Board. Fireworks are best defined as anything that explodes and/or can fly.  Please contact the Village Hall for more information.

FALSE ALARMS: In an effort to curb costly and time consuming false alarms the Village adopted an ordinance requiring all home and businesses with intrusion, fire and medical alarms to be registered with the Police Department. The registration is free and only takes a few moments. If you have more than three false alarms in a 12 month period you will be cited.

THE BEACHES: For everyone's safety, grills and glass items are prohibited on the public beaches. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on the beaches as they are in all public areas such as parks, streets or piers

TRANSIENT MERCHANTS/DOOR TO DOOR SALESMEN: Transient merchants are defined as someone selling a product such as a cleaning product, magazine subscriptions or someone selling a service such as driveway blacktopping or painting. Transient merchants (door to door sales people) must have a license issued by the village. Non profit groups such as the Girl Scouts or religious organizations are not considered transient merchants and do not need the license.

When a transient merchant applies for a license the Village conducts a background check of the applicant and documents who they are to provide a level of verification should there be any complaints. The Village license is not an endorsement of their product or service. We have found that even though we post signs telling peddlers to register, most refuse to do so. Some sales people will claim they do not need a Village license since they may have a state license, which is untrue. If you are approached at your home or place of business by a sales person selling a product or service, ask to see their 'village permit' if they cannot or will not produce one, they are selling illegally and you should ask them to leave. We ask that you then promptly call the police and report the person. Help us protect you and your neighbors from con artists and questionable products and service. Please call us promptly.