Google Earth is a more advanced mapping tool than Google Maps. It is a separate program that opens outside your browser but it also requires you to be online since maps are hosted on the web. The download for making simple maps and viewing maps is free
Download Google Earth
A more advanced version, Google Earth Pro, allows you to develop your own layers, create complicated tours, and convert GIS SHP files into KML or KMZ to view in Google Earth. There is a program for educators that provides Google Earth Pro
If you would like to embed Google Earth into a Google Site like we have on this page follow these steps, modified from the Google Earth help website:
1. Save the KML or KMZ file to your computer
2. You need to upload the KML or KMZ file to a website:
When you host a KML or KMZ, you are uploading a KML or KMZ file onto a public site with a URL. Hosting a KML or KMZ file allows you to:
3. To embed Google Earth you need to create a page in your Google Site and get into edit mode.
in the set up your gadget dialog box select >add gadget by url
then paste in the url below
4. The gadget will have a dialog box (click "properties") that appears in edit mode where you can paste in the url you got from your file cabinet page (see steps 1 and 2 above) that hosts your KML or KMZ file.
5. To view the embedded Google Earth map in your Google Site you will need a plug-in