|Introductions and general accounts of the family can be found here.
This is a draft genealogy of the family of Sutherland, sometime Earls of Sutherland, and Lords of Duffus. For more details, some individuals have fuller records which you can access by clicking their name. This may also include information about spouses and their children.
This page is split into 3 parts:
Part 1: The Earls of Sutherland
Part 2: The Sutherlands of Forse and the Sutherlands of Langwell
Part 3: The Sutherlands, Lords of Duffus
Part 4: Unconnected Sutherlands
***** Part 1 - Earls of Sutherland *****
A1. Freskin, of Sutherland.
B1. William, kn. 1160, d. aft. 1204.
- C1. Hugh de Moravia, kn. 1195, d. bef. 1222, bur. at the church of Duffus.
- D1. William Sutherland, 1st Earl of Sutherland, d. 1248, bur. Cathedral of Dornoch.
- E1. William Sutherland, 2nd Earl of Sutherland, kn. 1263, d. 1306/7.
- F1. William Sutherland, 3rd Earl of Sutherland.
- F2. Kenneth Sutherland, 4th Earl of Sutherland, killed at the battle of Halidon Hill 19 Jul 1333, m. Mary/Marjory, daughter of Donald, 6th Earl of Mar (in her 2nd marriage; m. 1stly to John, 9th Earl of Atholl).
- G1. William Sutherland, 5th Earl of Sutherland, d. 1370, m. 1stly Margaret Bruce, daughter of King Robert Bruce and his wife Elizabeth de Burgh; m. 2ndly Joanna Menteith (in her 4th marriage, m. 1stly Malise, 7th Earl of Strathearn, m. 2ndly John Campbell, Earl of Atholl, m. 3rdly Maurice Moray, Earl of Strathearn).
- H1. *by 1* John Sutherland, d. 1361 from the plauge as a hostage in England.
- H2. *by 2* Robert Sutherland, 6th Earl of Sutherland, d. 1442, m. Margaret Stewart, daughter of Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan.
- I1. John Sutherland, 7th Earl of Sutherland, d. 1460, m. abt. 1432 to Margaret Baillie (d. bef. 19 May 1510), daughter of Sir William Baillie of Lamington and his wife Marion Seton.
- J1. Alexander Sutherland, Master of Sutherland,, d. bef. Feb 1456.
- J2. John Sutherland, 8th Earl of Sutherland, m. 1stly N. N. MacDonald, daughter of Alexander MacDonald, Lord of the Isles; m. 2ndly Fingole, daughter of William of Calder, Thane of Cawdor; m. 3rdly Catherine.
- K1. *by 1* John Sutherland, 9th Earl of Sutherland.
- K2. *by 1* Elizabeth Sutherland, countess of Sutherland, d. 1535 at Aboyne, m. Adam Gordon (d. 17 Mar 1537/8), son of George Gordon, 2nd Earl of Huntly. The Earldom of Sutherland devolved upon the issue of this marriage, for which see under the family of Gordon.
- K3. *by 2 or illeg.* Alexander Sutherland.
- J3. Nicholas Sutherland, kn. 1448.
- J4. Thomas Beg Sutherland, possible ancestor of the Sutherlands of Strathullie.
- J5. Robert Sutherland.
- J6. Janet Sutherland, m. Alexander Dunbar of Altcash and Kilcolmkill, murdered 1498. She d. ca. 1512.
- J7. *illeg.* Thomas Mor Sutherland, whose two sons are said to have been murdered by their uncle, Earl John.
- H3. *by 2* Kenneth Sutherland, 1st of Forse, m. N. N. Keith, of Forse. For their issue, see Part 2, below.
- H4. *illeg.* William de Murriff, possibly of this or an earlier Earl William of Sutherland.
- G2. Nicholas Sutherland, 1st of Duffus, m. Mary, daughter and co-heiress of Reginald le Cheyne and Mary, Lady of Duffus. For their issue, see Part 3, below.
- G3. Eustachia Sutherland, m. abt. Dec 1330 to Gilbert Moray, son of Reginald Moray of Culbin.
- D2. Walter, of Duffus, d. abt. 1263, bur. at the church of Duffus, m. Euphemia Ross, daughter of Ferquhard, Earl of Ross.
- D3. Andrew, parson of Duffus, Bishop of Moray, d. 1242.
- C2. William de Moravia, lord of Petty and Bracholy, Boharm and Arteldol, d. bef. 1226, supposed ancestor of the Morays of Bothwell.
- C3. Andrew, parson of Duffus, kn. 1221.
***** Part 2 - Sutherlands of Forse *****
H3. Kenneth Sutherland, 1st of Forse, m. N. N. Keith, of Forse.
I1. John Sutherland, 2nd of Forse, of whom nothing else is known.
J1. Richard Sutherland, 3rd of Forse.
K1. John Sutherland, 4th of Forse.
L1. Robert Sutherland, who died in his father's lifetime.
- M1. Richard Sutherland, 5th of Forse, d. without issue.
- M2. William Sutherland, 6th of Forse, m. 1558 to Janet, daughter of William Sinclair of Olrig, but he also d. without issue.
- M3. Alexander Sutherland, 7th of Forse.
- N1. Donald Sutherland, 8th of Forse.
- O1. Alexander Sutherland, 9th of Forse, d. bef. 1645.
- P1. James Sutherland, 10th of Forse, d. bef. 1665 m. Janet, daughter of Hugh Gordon of Ballone.
- Q1. George Sutherland, 11th of Forse, m. Jean, daughter of Robert Gray of Skibo.
- R1. George Sutherland, 12th of Forse.
- S1. Francis Sutherland of Forse, d. without issue.
- S2. John Sutherland, 13th of Forse, m. Æmilia Sinclair, daughter of John Sinclair of Ulbster.
- T1. George Sutherland, 14th of Forse.
- T2. John Campbell Sutherland, 15th of Forse, m. Margaret Munro.
- T3. Harriet Sutherland, m. Colonel N. N. Sutherland.
- T4. Elizabeth Sutherland, m. George Sinclair.
- T5. Mary Sutherland, m. William Maclean, Captain.
- T6. Katharine Sutherland, m.
- S3. Katharine Sutherland, m. William Sinclair of Freswick.
- R2. Robert Sutherland of Achinarras, m. 1708 to Esther Sutherland, co-heiress of Langwell (see below). The estate of Langwell devolved on the issue of this marriage.
- S1. James Sutherland, 4th of Langwell, m. 1738 to Rachel, daughter of Sir James and Dame Elizabeth Dunbar of Hempriggs.
- T1. Robert Sutherland, 5th of Langwell, m. 1762 to his cousin, Anne Sinclair, heiress of Brabster. He sold the lands of Langwell.
- U1. James Sutherland, d. aged 19.
- U2. George Sinclair Sutherland, 5th of Brabster, d. 1840, m. Margaret Gibson, daughter of George Gibson.
- V1. Robert Sutherland, Lieutenant-Colonel in the East India Company, d. 1863, m. his cousin, Margaret Robeson (d. 1869), daughter of Donald Robeson.
- V2. James Sutherland, 6th of Brabster, sold the estate of Brabster. Has issue two sons.
- V3. George Sutherland, d. 1869, without issue.
- V4. Alexander Sutherland, d. 1862, without issue.
- V5. John Sutherland, Captain in the East India Company, d. 1844, without issue.
- V6. David Sutherland, a merchant in America, with issue.
- V7. William Sutherland, M.D. in Australia, with issue.
- V8. Janet Sutherland, d. 1865, unmarried.
- V9. Anne Sutherland, d. 1824, unmarried.
- V10. Margaret Sutherland, d. 1868, unmarried.
- V11. Camilla Sutherland, d. 1849, unmarried.
- V12. Elizabeth Sutherland, m. the Rev. Mr. McGregor, with issue.
- U3. Alexandrina Sutherland, m. James Macbeath, with issue.
- T2. Elizabeth Sutherland, m. 1761 to Walter Gray, of Easter Lairg.
- S2. George Sutherland, Major, was twice married.
- T1. *by 1* George Sutherland, Lieutenant-Colonel.
- T2. *by 1* Robert Sutherland.
- T3. *by 1* Esther Sutherland, m. William Sutherland, Captain.
- T4. *by 1* Janet Sutherland, m. John Gray of Jamaica.
- T5. *by 1* Jane Sutherland, m. the Rev. Alexander Sage, of Kildonan.
- T6. *by 1* Elizabeth Sutherland, m. Joseph Gordon, of Navidale.
- T7. *by 1* Charlotte Sutherland, m. N. N. M'Farquhar of Jamaica.
- T8. *by 1* Willamina Sutherland, m. Robert Baigrie, of Midgarty.
- T9. *by 1* Roberta Sutherland, m. Robert Pope, of Navidale.
- T10. *by 2* Janet Sutherland, m. Kenneth M'Kay, of Torball.
- S3. Margaret Sutherland, m. 1732 to Alexander McKenzie, younger of Ardloch.
- S4. Elizabeth Sutherland, m. Benjamin Williamson, 2nd of Banniskirk.
- R3. William Sutherland of Wester Nottingham and Giese, m. 1stly Katharine Sinclair; m. 2ndly abt. 1684 to Mary Sinclair (in her 2nd marriage, m. 1stly George Sinclair of Forss), daughter of Sir James Sinclair of Murkle.
- S1. *by 1* William Sutherland of Geise.
- S2. *by 1* Adam Sutherland.
- S3. *by 1* Jane/Janet Sutherland, m. 1695 to John Sinclair of Forss.
- R4. Alexander Sutherland of Burrigill, Captain, d. aft. 1693.
- R5. ? Hugh Sutherland, in Breckachy.
- Q2. Adam Sutherland.
- Q3. Robert Sutherland.
- Q4. Hugh Sutherland.
- Q5. Alexander Sutherland of Earnside, Major, m. Jean Campbell.
- Q6. Jean Sutherland.
- Q7. Margaret Sutherland.
- Q8. Elspeth/Elizabeth Sutherland, m. 1663 to John Sutherland of Ausdale; m. 2ndly 1669 to James Sutherland of Langwell, see below.
- Q9. Katharine Sutherland.
- Q10. Esther Sutherland.
- P2. John Sutherland, of Rangag, ancestor of the Sutherlands of Langwell.
- Q1. William M'Ian Sutherland, 1st of Langwell.
- R1. James Sutherland, 2nd of Langwell, d. 1708; m. 1stly Elspeth Sutherland, daughter of James Sutherland, of Forse (see above); m. 2ndly Anne, daughter of Patrick Sinclair of Ulbster (in her 2nd marriage, m. 1stly Francis Sinclair of Stirkoke); 3rdly Elizabeth, daughter of William Sinclair of Dunbeath; m. 4thly Anne, daughter of Robert Sinclair of Durran.
- S1. *by 2* Esther Sutherland, 3rd of Langwell, m. 1stly William Budge of Toftinghall; m. 2ndly 1708 to Robert Sutherland of Achinarras (see above).
- S2. *by 4* Anne Sutherland, of Risgill or Swiney.
- S3. *by 4* Janet Sutherland, m. George Sinclair of Brabster.
- R2. Adam Sutherland, m. Janet, daughter of Donald Henderson.
- R3. David Sutherland, m. 1stsly Catherine Polson; m. 2ndly Mary Sutherland of Latheron.
- S1. William Sutherland, 1st of Westerloch, d. aft. 1762, m. N. N. Sutherland.
- T1. John Sutherland, 2nd of Westerloch, m. Anne, daughter of Alexander Innes. Apart from the below son, there were a further five daughters.
- S2. Angus Sutherland.
- S3. Elizabeth Sutherland, m. Donald Calder of Strath.
- R4. George Sutherland.
- R5. Anne Sutherland, m. 1stly John Innes of Oust; m. 2ndly Alexander Calder of Achingale.
- Q2. David Sutherland, of Langwell.
- P3. Adam Sutherland.
- P4. Janet Sutherland, m. 1621 to Francis, son of James Sinclair, 1st of Murkle.
- P5. Elizabeth Sutherland, m. 1643 to William Sinclair of Dun.
- O2. Margaret Sutherland, m. 1stly David Sinclair of Dun; m. 2ndly Charles Caldell of Lynegar.
***** Part 3 - Sutherland, Lords Duffus *****
G2. Nicholas Sutherland, 1st of Duffus, m. Mary, daughter and co-heiress of Reginald le Cheyne and Mary, Lady of Duffus.
***** Part 4 - Unconnected Sutherlands *****
- H1. John Sutherland, 2nd of Duffus, d. bef. 1433 without issue.
- H2. Henry Sutherland, of Torboll, d. bef. 1434, m. Margaret Mureff or Moray.
- I1. Alexander Sutherland, 3rd of Duffus.d. abt. 1484.
- J1. William Sutherland, of Berrydall, d. aft. May 1474.
- K1. Alexander Sutherland of Strabrock, d. bef. 8 Oct 1478.
- L1. Christina Sutherland, m. abt. 1489 to William Oliphant, 2nd son of the 1st Lord Oliphant.
- K2. William Sutherland, 4th of Duffus, also of Quarrelwood, m. Janet Innes.
- L1. William Sutherland, 5th of Duffus, d. bef. 1 Jun 1529, m. Janet Innes, daughter of Alexander Innes of Innes.
- M1. William Sutherland, 6th of Duffus, killed bef. Sep 1530.
- N1. William Sutherland, 7th of Duffus, d. 1543, m. Elizabeth Stewart (in her 1st marriage; m. 2ndly James Murray of Culbardie. She d. aft. Aug 1579)
- O1. Alexander Sutherland, 8th of Duffus, d. aft. 24 Mar 1570, m. contr. 26 Jan 1553 to Janet, daughter of James Grant of Freuchie (in her 1st marriage; m. 2ndly contr. 26 Sep 1577 at Elgin to James Dempster of Auchterless. She d. Oct 1600.
- P1. Alexander Sutherland, b. 1554, m. 1568 at Lammas to Elizabeth Sinclair (in her 1st marriage; m. 2ndly Hugh Mackay of Farr). He died without issue.
- P2. William Sutherland, 9th of Duffus, d. aft 24 Mar 1570, m. contr. 26 Jan 1552/3 to Janet, daughter of James Grant of Freuchie (in her 1st marriage; m. 2ndly 1577 to James Dempster of Auchterless. She d. 1600).
- Q1. William Sutherland, 10th of Duffus, d. Oct 1626, m. contr. 19 Sep 1612 to Jean, daughter of John Grant of Freuchie (in her 1st marriage, m. 2ndly Thomas Mackenzie of Pluscarden).
- R1. Alexander, 1st Lord Duffus, b. abt. 1623, d. 31 Aug 1674, m. 1stly Jean, daughter of Colin Mackenzie, 1st Earl of Seaforth (in her 2nd marriage, m. 1stly John Sinclair, Master of Berridale. She d. 31 Mar 1648); m. 2ndly 13 Jan 1653 to Jean, d. 10 Mar 1653, daughter of Robert Innes of Innes; m. 3rdly Margaret, d. Jan 1667, daughter of James Stewart, 5th Earl of Moray; m. 4thly Margaret, daughter of William, 11th Lord Forbes (in her 1st marriage; m. 2ndly abt. 1675 to Robert Gordon, 3rd Baronet of Gordonstoun).
- S1. *by 1* James Sutherland, 2nd Lord Duffus, d. 24 Sep 1705, m. contr. 5 Sep 1674 to Margaret, d. Aug 1706, daughter of Kenneth Mackenzie, 3rd Earl of Seaforth.
- T1. Kenneth Sutherland, 3rd Lord Duffus, d. bef. 18 Mar 1734, m. contr. 30 Mar 1708 to Charlotta Christina, d. 1771, daughter of Erik Sjöblad, governor of Göteborg.
U2. Charlotta Sutherland.
- U1. Eric Sutherland 4th Lord Duffus, bap. 29 Aug 1710, d. 28 Aug 1768 at Skelbo, m. Elizabeth, d. 21 Jul 1800, daughter of Sir James Dunbar of Hempriggs.
- V1. James Sutherland, d. 30 Jan 1827 at Harley Street, Marylebone, unmarried.
- V2. Axel Sutherland, d. without issue.
- V3. Elizabeth Sutherland, m. 1stly Captain Alexander Sinclair; m. 2ndly Charles Sinclair of Olrig; m. 3rdly 5 Dec 1772 to Rev. James Rudd, rector of Newton Kyme, Yorks.
- W1. Erick Rudd, Rev. of Thorne, Doncaster.
- W2. James Sutherland Rudd.
- V4. Charlotte Sutherland, m. Sir John Sinclair of Mey by whom she was the mother of James, 12th Earl of Caithness.
- V5. Anne Sutherland, m. George Mackay of Skibo.
- U3. Anna Sutherland, m. count Gustaf Adolf Palbitzki, of Sweden.
- T2. James Dunbar, of Hempriggs, advocate, Baronet of Hempriggs, changed his name to Dunbar, m. aft. 1704 to Elizaeth, daughter of Sir William Dunbar, Baronet, of Hempriggs (in her 2nd marriage; m. 1stly Sir Robert Gordon, 3rd Baronet of Gordonstoun; she d. 11 Mar 1756).
- U1. Sir William Dunbar, Baronet, of Hempriggs, d. 1792, m. 1stly 6 Jan 1729 to Elizabeth, d. 3 Jun 1746, daughter of Alexander Dunbar of Westfield; m. 2ndly 21 Mar 1747 to Jean, d. 9 Aug 1749 without issue, daughter of David Sinclair of Southdun; m. 3rdly 21 Oct 1749 to Henrietta d. Sep 1795, daughter of Hugh Rose of Kilravock.
- V1. *by 1* Kenneth Dunbar, b. 14 Oct 1729.
- V2. *by 1* James Dunbar, b. 12 Nov 1730, d. young.
- V3. *by 1* Sir Benjamin Sutherland Dunbar, 5th Lord Duffus, b. 28 Apr 1761, d. May 1843, m. 10 Dec 1784 at Bighouse to Janet, d. 15 Mar 1857, daughter of George Mackay of Bighouse.
- W1. William Dunbar, d. young.
- W2. George Dunbar, 6th Lord Duffus, b. 6 Jun 1799, d. 28 Auf 1875 unmarried.
- W3. Robert Sutherland Dunbar, of Latheron, Captain, b. 12 Apr 1801, d. 18 Aug 1857, unmarried.
- W4. Louisa Dunbar, d. 10 Jun 1865, m. 17 Sep 1805 to Garden Duff of Hatton (d. 15 Mar 1858).
- W5. Elizabeth Dunbar, d. 21 Aug 1811, unmarried.
- W6. Henrietta Dunbar, d. 3 Nov 1820, m. 20 Mar 1810 to William Sinclair of Southdun (d. 1831).
- V4. *by 2* Robert Sutherland Dunbar.
- V5. *by 1* Elizabeth Dunbar, b. 3 Apr 1732.
- V6. *by 1* Margaret Dunbar, b. 26 Jul 1733.
- V7. *by 1* Grizel Dunbar, b. 1 Feb 1735.
- V8. *by 1* Christian Dunbar, b. 18 May 1736.
- V9. *by 1* Janet Dunbar, heiress of Westfield, d. 16 Sep 1769, m. 26 Feb 1762 Thomas Dunbar of Grangehill.
- V10. *by 2* Elizabeth Dunbar.
- V11. *by 2* Alexandrina Dunbar.
- V12. *by 2* Williamina Dunbar.
- U2. James Dunbar, officer, d. 1742 in Jamaica, without issue.
- U3. Janet Dunbar, m. 1stly 1 Jan 1738 to John Sinclair of Barrock; m. 2ndly Harry Innes of Borlum and Sandside.
- U4. Charlotte Dunbar, m. 23 Dec 1731 to William Sinclair of Keiss.
- U5. Elizabeth Dunbar, m. Eric Sutherland, son of the 3rd Lord Duffus, above.
- U6. Eachel Dunbar, m. James Sutherland of Langwell, above, Part 2.
- T3. William Sutherland of Roscommon, m. contr. 20/22 Oct 1702 to Helen, d. Jul 1740, daughter of William Duff o Dipple.
- T4. John Sutherland.
- T5. Alexander Sutherland.
- T6. Elizabeth Sutherland.
- T7. Frances Sutherland.
- T8. Henrietta Sutherland, b. 21 Feb 1684.
- T9. Mary Sutherland, m. James Sinclair of Mey.
- T10. Katharine Sutherland, m. John Cuthbert, town-clerk of Inverness.
- S2. Margaret.
- S3. Henrietta, m. George, 4th Earl of Linlithgow.
- R2. William Sutherland, of Inverhassie, kn. 1694.
- S1. James Sutherland, d. bef. 1722.
- T1. James Sutherland, of Evelix, m. 8 Aug 1726 to Margaret, daughter of John Sutherland of Rearquhar.
- U1. Hugh Sutherland, Lieutenant, m. Magdalen Clunes, daughter of John Clunes of Neilston.
- R3. John Sutherland, Lieutenant-Colonel, d. bef. 23 Jan 1658, m. contr. 7 & 10 Mar 1656 to Isabella, daughter of David Ross of Balnagown (in her 1st marriage, m. 2ndly contr. 9 May 1659 to James Innes of Lichnet).
- R4. Anna Sutherland, d. aft 1663, m. Patrick Grant.
- Q2. James Sutherland, of Kinminitie, d. bef. Aug 1680, m. Margaret, daughter of Sir John Seaton of Monylangain.
- R1. Alexander Sutherland of Kinminitie, m. Jean, daughter of Thomas Forbes of Waterton.
- S1. Alexander Sutherland, m. 1stly Marie Ogilvy, daughter of the 1st Lord Banff; m. 2ndly ?.
- T1. Alexander Sutherland, of Kinminitie, d. Jul 1725, m. Elizabeth Edwards (in her 1st marriage; m. 2ndly Sir Kenneth Mackenzie of Grandvale).
- U1. Alexander Sutherland, of Kinminitie, d. bef. 1726.
- U2. Mary Sutherland, m. Alexander Sutherland of Clyne (below).
- T2. Mr. James Sutherland, of Croftcroy, advocate, d. without issue.
- S2. Thomas Sutherland, d. 17 Apr 1692, m. 1686 to Violet, daughter of Michael Strachan of Auchnagat (in her 1st marriage; m. 2ndly George Gordon, younger of Glastyrin).
- T1. James Sutherland, b. abt. Sep 1688.
- R2. Margaret Sutherland, m. 1763 [sic. -unsure if this should be 1673 or 1663 -FiveGateways] to James Irvine in Artomford.
- R3. Jane Sutherland, m. Sir Alexander Abercromby of Birkenbog.
- Q3. John Sutherland, of Clyne.
- R1. John Sutherland, of Clyne.
- S1. Patrick Sutherland, of Clyne, d. without issue.
- S2. James Sutherland of Clyne.
- T1. Alexander Sutherland, of Clyne, fell over a staircase in 1742 from which he died, m. Mary Sutherland, daughter of Alexander Sutherland of Kinminitie (above).
- U1. James Murray Sutherland, of Clyne and Pulrossie, d. 9 Jul 1783 without issue.
- U2. Henrietta Sutherland.
- U3. Elizabeth Sutherland.
- T2. Patrick Sutherland, Captain.
- Q4. Margaret, d. 1616, m. contr. 24 Nov 1610) to Colonel Robert Monro of Fowlis.
- Q5. Janet, m. George Ogilvy, first Lord Banff.
- P3. James Sutherland, b. 1561, m. Violet, daughter of Thomas Fraser of Strichen.
- Q1. John Sutherland.
- R1. Williem Sutherland, m. Margaret, daughter of William Innes of Kinnermonie.
- S1. David Sutherland, of Kinstearie. He had a great-grandson, James, who in 1766 was the only son, and of Kinstearie.
- S2. Hugh Sutherland.
- T1. John Sutherland, m. Christian, daughter of William Sutherland of Rearquhar.
- U1. John Sutherland.
- V1. James Sutherland of Rearquhar.
- V2. Janet Sutherland, m. John Clunes of Neilston.
- W1. Magdalene Clunes, m. Hugh Sutherland of Evelix (see above).
- W2. Anne Clunes, m. Duncan Sutherland of Kinauld.
- W3. Hugh Clunes, d. without issue.
- U2. James Sutherland.
- U3. Margaret Sutherland, m. James Sutherland of Evelix (see above).
- P4. Elizabeth Sutherland, m. contr. 9 Nov 1590 to Archibald Douglas of Pittendreich, illeg. son of the Regent Morton.
- Q1. Elizabeth Douglas, m. John Innes of Leuchars.
- O2. William Sutherland, of Evelix, d. abt. 1570.
- O3. Nicholas Sutherland, d. aft. 1566.
- M2. Alexander Sutherland, rector of Duffus, d. aft. 1551.
- M3. Elizabeth Sutherland, m. John, 3rd Earl of Caithness.
- K3. Isabel Sutherland, m. abt. 9 May 1474 to Hew Rose, younger of Kilravock.
- J2. Angus Sutherland, of Torboll.
- K1. Nicholas Sutherland, d. without issue.
- K2. Donald Sutherland, d. without issue.
- K3. Hugh Sutherland of Torboll, d. bef. 1525, m. Agnes Mcleod.
- L1. Christina Sutherland, m. 1stly David Stewart of the Doill; m. 2ndly Adam Reid.
- J3. Isabella Sutherland, m. Alexander Dunbar of Westfield.
- J4. Dorothea Sutherland, m. Alexander Ross of Balnagown (killed at the battle of Allt Charrais, 11 Jun 1486).
The below are persons or smaller family groupings by the surname Sutherland whom we have not been able to connect to the main line.
A1. William Sutherland, m. Anne Cunningham (in her 2nd marriage, m. 1stly John Bruce, of Ham, and was mother of Janet Bruce, m. to Angust Sutherland, below).
A1. Angus Sutherland, merchant at Thurso, m. Janet Bruce, of Ham.
B1. William Sutherland, of Ham.
Sources: White, G. H. (1953) The Complete Peerage, vol. XII. London: The St. Catherine Press. // Balfour Paul, J. (1906) The Scots Peerage, vol. 3. Edinburgh: David Douglas. // Balfour Paul, J. (1911) The Scots Peerage, vol. 8. Edinburgh: David Douglas. // Fraser, W. (1894) The Sutherland Book. Edinburgh: Privately Printed. // Henderson, J. (1884) Caithness Family History. Edinburgh: David Douglas. // Gordon, R. (1813) A Genealogical History of the Earldom of Sutherland, from its origin to the year 1630; written by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun, Baronet. With a Continuation to the Year 1651. Edinburgh: Ramsay & Co.