|A1. John Chaytor, of Newcastle, had issue:
B1. Christopher Chaytor, of Beautrove, (or Butterby), co. Durham, b. 1494, surveyor general, m. Elizabeth Clervaux, daughter of William Clervaux, of Croft, and his 2nd wife Margaret Thirkeld, of Melmerby.
*** Part 2 ***
- C1. Anthony Chaytor, of Croft, m. 1stly Margaret Witham, daughter of William Witham, of Cliffe, co. York; m. 2ndly Margery Thorneton, daughter of William Thorneton, Esq. of Newton, co. York.
- D1. *by 2* William Chaytor, of Croft, knight, m. Frances Bellingham, daughter of Sir James Bellingham, Knight, of Levens, co. Westmoreland.
- E1. Thomas Chaytor, Esq. of Croft, m. Mary Lewis, daughter of Thomas Lewis, Esq. of Marr, co. Yorkshire.
- F1. John Chaytor, Esq. of Croft, m. 1stly Sarah Allanson, daughter of Sir William Allanson, of York; m. 2ndly Elizabeth Davidson, daughter of Sir Thomas Davidson, co. Durham. The issue of both marriages all d. young.
- E2. Henry Chaytor, d. 1664 without issue, governor of Bolton Castle, m. Margaret Hebburne (in her 2nd marriage, m. 1stly Robert Dodsworth, Esq. of Barton, co. York), daughter of Arthur Hebburne, of Hebburne.
- E3. Agnes Chaytor, m. 1stly to Nicholas Foster, Esq. of Barnbrough, co. Northumberland; m. 2ndly N. N. Dawson, Esq. of Ripon; m. 3rdly Sir Francis Liddell, Knight, of Redheugh, co. Northumberland.
- D2. *by 2* Richard Chaytor, d. without issue.
- D3. *by 2* Thomas Chaytor, d. without issue.
- D4. *by 2* Margaret Chaytor, m. 1stly Ralph Hutton, Esq. of Mainsworth, co. Durham; m. 2ndly Christopher Richmond, Esq. of Highhead Castle, co. Cumberland.D5. Mary Chaytor, m. Charles Hutton, her brother-in-law.
- C2. Hugh Chaytor, equery to Queen Elizabeth, d. without issue.
- C3. Christopher Chaytor, died without issue.
- C4. Thomas Chaytor, Esq. of Butterby, m. 1stly Eleanor Thornell, m. 2dnly Jane Tempest, daugher of Sir Nicholas Tempest, Baronet, of Stella.
- D1. Henry Chaytor, Esq. of Butterby, d. unmarried 1629.
- D2. Nicholas Chaytor, Esq. d. 10 Feb 1665, m. Ann Lambton, daughter of William Lambton, Esq. of Houghtonfield, co. Durham, by his wife Ann Barnes (niece of the bishop of Durham).
- E1. Sir William Chaytor, Baronet of Croft, d. 1720, m. Perigrina Cradock, daughter of Sir Johseph Cradock, Knight, of Richmond.
- F1. Henry Chaytor, Major, d. without issue.
- F2. Thomas Chaytor, d. without issue.
- F3. Anna Chaytor, d. unmarried.
- E2. Henry Chaytor, m. Isabell Morley, daughter of Anthony Morley, Esq. of Ingleton.
- F1. Henry Chaytor, Esq. of Croft, m. Jane Smales, daughter of Mattew Smales, Esq. of Gilling, co. York.
- G1. William Chaytor, Esq. of Croft, d. May 1819, recorder of Richmond, m. Jane Lee.
- H1. Sir William Chaytor, Baronet, b. 29 Apr 1771, d. 28 Jan 1847, m. 18 Aug 1803 to Isabella Carter (d. 23 Dec 1855), daughter of John Carter, Esq. of Tunstall and Richmond, his sister-in-law. For their issue, see Part 2, below.
- H2. Mathew Chaytor, d. unmarried 1825.
- H3. John-Clervaux Chaytor, Esq. of Spennithorne Hall, co. York, b. 9 Jun 1782, m. 16 Jan 1810 to Ann Carter, daughter of John Carter, Esq. of Tunstall and Richmond.
- I1. Christopher-William-Carter Chaytor, b. 1 Feb 1814.
- I2. Mathew-John-Carter Chaytor, d. young.
- I3. Charlotte Chaytor.
- I4. Anne Chaytor.
- I5. Elizabeth Chaytor.
- I6. Mary Chaytor.
- H4. Jane Chaytor, d. unmarried 1811.
- H5. Mary Chaytor.
- H6. Charlotte Chaytor, d. unmarried 1792.
- H7. Elizabeth Chaytor, m. 12 Dec 1804 to Timothy Hutton, Esq. of Clifton Castle, co. York.
- H8. Harriet Chaytor, d. unmarried 1798.
- G2. Henry Chaytor, vicar of Catterick, co. York, d. Jun 1789 at Croft, m. 1stly Betty Gregson, daughter of N. N. Gregson, Esq. of Bondgate, Westmoreland; m. 2ndly Anne Robinson, daughter of Charles Robinson, Esq. of Appleby, co. Westmoreland.
- H1. Betty Chaytor, m. George Pearson, Esq. of Harperly Park, co. Durham.
- I1. Elizabeth-Jane Pearson, m. George-Hutton Wilkinson, with numerous issue.
- H2. William Chaytor, d. young.
- H3. Henry Chaytor, lieutenant-colonel, m. Jane Marriot, daughter of William Marriot, Esq.
- I1. Henry Chaytor, b. 1799.
- I2. William-Charles, b. 1800.
- I3. John Chaytor, b. 1802.
- I4. Gustavus-Adolphus Chaytor, b. 1806.
- I5. Ann-Jane Chaytor.
- I6. Mary Chaytor.
- H4. Charles Chaytor.
- H5. Charlotte Chaytor.
- H6. Maria Chaytor.
- H7. Hannah-Jane Chaytor.
- H8. Anne Chaytor.
- H9. Mary Chaytor.
- H10. Isabella Chaytor.
- H11. Juliana Chaytor.
- H12. Harriot Chaytor.
- G3. Mathew Chaytor, ensign, died without issue in Germany.
- G4. John Chaytor, d. young.
- G5. Jane Chaytor, m. John Trotter, M.D., of Darlington.
- G6. Alice-Mary Chaytor, d. 5 Jul 1833, m. Caleb Redshaw, afterwards Morley, Esq. of Beamsley, Craven.
- H1. Josias Morley, of Beamsley and Marrick Park, co. York, d. Feb 1827, m. M. Colling.
- I1. Francis Morley, of Marrick Park, b. 5 Apr 1810.
- I2. Thomas Morley, b. 6 Feb 1814.
- I3. Mary Morley.
- I4. Dorothy Morley.
- H2. John Morley, m. Mary Miller.
- H3. William Morley
- H4. Thomas Morley, left issue.
- F2. Isabella Chaytor, m. N. N. Hobbins, Esq.
- E3. Walter Chaytor, d. in Germany without issue.
- E4. Ann Chaytor, m. N. N. Ogle, Esq.
- E5. Isabell Chaytor.
- E6. Jeronima Chaytor.
- D3. Robert Chaytor, died without issue.
- D4. Thomas Chaytor, died without issue.
- D5. Jeronima Chaytor, m. Thomas Swineburne, Esq. of Barmton, co. Durham.
- D6. Isabell Chaytor, m. James Belasyse, Esq. of Owton, co. Durham, son of Sir William Belasyse, of Newborough Abbey, co. York and his wife Margery, daughter of Sir Nicholas Fairfax, of Gilling.
- D7. Troth Chaytor, died without issue.
- D8. Mary Chaytor, died without issue.
- C5. Margaret Chaytor.
- C6. Jane Chaytor, m. Ralph Wylly, Esq. of Houghton, co. Durham.
- C7. Elizabeth Chaytor.
- C8. Beatrix Chaytor.
H1. Sir William Chaytor, 1st Baronet, of Croft, and his wife Isabella Carter, had issue as follows:
- I1. Sir William Richard Carter Chaytor, 2nd Baronet, of Croft, b. 7 Feb 1805, M.P. for Durham City, d. 9 Feb 1871, m. 1stly 27 Sep 1836 to Annie Lacy, of Easingwold (d. 11 Sep 1837); m. 2ndly 16 Mar 1852 to Mary Smith (d. May 1904), daughter of John Whitney Smith, of Northallerton.
- J1. *by 1* Sir William Chaytor, 3rd Baronet, of Croft, b. 10 Sep 1837, d. 8 Aug 1896, m. 25 Aug 1866 to Mary van Straubenzee (d. 11 Oct 1917), daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Henry van Straubenzee, of Spennithorne and his wife Henrietta Wrottesley (daughter of the 1st Baron Wrottesley).
- K1. William Henry Edward Chaytor, 4th Baronet, of Croft, b. 14 Jun 1867, d. 25 Apr 1908, unmarried.
- K2. Walter Clervaux Chaytor, 5th Baronet, of Croft, b. 27 Feb 1874, d. 9 Jul 1913, m. 7 Jan 1909 to Alexandra Leila Hervey, daughter of the Reverend Canon F. A. J. Hervey (in her 1st marriage, m. 2ndly 15 Sep 1914 to George Pym Gore, of Cleveland House, son of Spencer William Gore [Arran, E.]).
- K3. Edmund Hugh Chaytor, 6th Baronet, of Croft, b. 11 Nov 1876, d. 6 Feb 1935, m. 19 Feb 1912 to Isobel Scott (in her 1st marriage, m. 2ndly 27 Jun 1935 to Edwin Burton Fiske, of Denewood), daughter of Thomas Scott, of Darlington.
- L1. William Henry Clervaux Chaytor, 7th Baronet Chaytor........
- L2. Lilian Mary Chaytor, m. 26 Oct 1935 to Sir Ralph Henry Lawson, 4th Baronet.
- L3. Isobel Clare Chaytor, m. 12 Sep 1936 to Captain Hugh Manford Vaux, son of Major C. Vaux, of Low Startforth Hall.
- L4. Anne Chatyor, m. 6 Jul 1946 to Peter Dickinson, son of Robert Dickinson.
- K4. Clervaux Arthur Chaytor, b. 21 Apr 1879, Lieutenant, d. 27 Mar 1906, unmarried.
- K5. Lilian Emma Chaytor.
- K6. Marion Henrietta Chaytor.
- K7. Annie Julia Chaytor, m. 26 May 1897 (div. 1913) to Allan Havelock-Allan, son of Sir Henry M. Havelock-Allan, 1st Baronet.
- J2. *by 2* Reginald Clervaux Chaytor, b. 6 Oct 1857.
- I2. John Clervaux Chaytor, of Croft, b. 8 Sep 1806, d. 8 May 1894, m. 30 Jan 1834 to Lydia Frances Brown (d. 2 Oct 1889), daughter of Thomas Brown, of New Grove.
Chaytor of Spennithorne Hall:
- J1. John Clervaux Chaytor, b. 28 Jan 1836, d. 2 Apr 1920, m. 30 Jan 1867 to Emma Fearon (8 May 1913), daughter of Edward Fearon, of Nelson, New Zealand.
- K1. Sir Edward Walter Clervaux Chaytor, b. 21 Jun 1868, Major-General, d. 13 Jun 1939, m. 17 Oct 1898 to Louisa Jane Collins, daugher of C.S. Collins.
- L1. Edward John Clervaux Chaytor, b. 16 Nov 1903, m. 12 Nov 1938 to Margaret Frances Morgan Vilieland, daughter of Charles Archibald Vilieland.
- L2. Katharine Clervaux Chaytor, b. 9 Jun 1900, m. 10 Nov 1926 to Sir Robert Eric Sherlock Gooch, 11th Baronet, Lieutenant-Colonel.
- L3. Dorothy Clervaux Chaytor, b. 24 May 1902, m. 25 Oct 1933 to Ian Douglas McNeill, son of Neil McNeill, of Ardnacross.
- K2. Alfred Henry Chaytor, of Clervaux Castle, b. 28 Oct 1869, Captain, d. 12 Jul 1931, m. Dorothy Elizabeth Burrell, daughter of Harry Percy Burrell, of Brooklands.
- L1. Alfred Drewett Chaytor, b. 16 Feb 1901, barrister, m. 6 Nov 1929 to Rachel Elizabeth Carnegie, daughter of W. H. Carnegie, Sub-Dean of Westminster Abbey.
- M1. William Drewett Chaytor, b. 13 Sep 1937.
- M2. Elizabeth Chaytor, b. 5 May 1934.
- M3. Jane Chaytor, b. 16 Dec 1935.
- M4. Susannah Albinia Chaytor, b. 13 Nov 1939.
- L2. Christopher William Drewett Chaytor, b. 19 Oct 1902.
- L3. Edward Drewett Chaytor, b. 5 Mau 1913, Major, m. 17 Sep 1938 to Mary Monica Woodall, daughter of the Reverend Canon Thomas John Woodall, of The Close.
- M1. Richard Clervaux Chaytor, b. 22 Dec 1939.
- M2. Michael Clervaux Chaytor, b. 10 Jan 1944.
- L4. Catharine Beatrice Chaytor, b. 9 Sep 1907.
- L5. Dorothy Anne Chaytor, b. 24 May 1912, m. 19 un 1937 to George Egerton Lambert Manley, son of Major William Edward Manley, of Mayfield.
- L6. Margaret Clare Chaytor, b. 27 Dec 1918, m. 14 Feb 1939 to Lieutenant Anthony William Kellie-Smith, son of W. Kellie-Smith, of Kellas House.
- K3. D'Arcy Chaytor, b. 1873, m. 1908 to Avis Anne Edwin, daughter of Commander Robert Atherton Edwin.
- K4. Lawrence Clervaux Chaytor, b. 1892, m. 4 Feb 1920 to Dorothy Mary Bullen Tripe, daughter of John Robert Bullen Tripe, of Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- L1. John Lawrence Clervaux Chaytor, b. 28 Feb 1926
- L2. Anthony David Clervaux Chaytor, b. 8 Jun 1934.
- L3. Jocelyn Dorothy Clervaux Chaytor, b. 11 Feb 1921.
- L4. Frances Anne Chaytor, b. 17 Mar 1922.
- K5. John Clervaux Chaytor, b. 3 Feb 1896, Major, m. 7 Aug 1930 to Olive Mary Brittan, daughter of Colonerl Reginald Brittan, of Failand Hill.
- L1. Pamela June Chaytor, b. 1 JUn 1934.
- L2. Jennifer Margaret Chaytor, b. 22 Nov 1936.
- K6. Beatrice Emma Chaytor.
- K7. Elinor Mary Chaytor, m. 1906 to Percy Watt Stuart, of Spring Creek, New Zealand.
- K8. Jane Chaytor, m. Oct 1910 to Henry Joseph Stace, of Spring Creek, New Zealand.
- K9. Constance Clervaux Chaytor, d. 17 Aug 1945, m. 17 Jun 1914 to Major Godfrey Percy Burrell (d. 2 Jul 1931), of Ackender House, son of Harry Percy Burrell, of Brooklands.
- K10. Frances Emily Chaytor, d. 30 Nov 1919, m. 23 Jan 1912 to Harry Aldwyn Burrell, of Alton.
- K11. Isabel Clervaux Chaytor.
- J2.Arthur Chaytor, b. 27 Jul 1843, d. 1 Sep 1937, m. 1stly 9 Apr 1872 to Mary Ellen Gibbard Burrell (d. 13 Jan 1898), daughter of Thomas Gibbard Burrell, of Nelson, New Zealand; m. 2ndly Evelyn Allen, daughter of John ALlen, of Picton, New Zealand.
- K1. Arthur Cuthbert Chaytor, b. 21 Jan 1873, m. 13 May 1908 to Linda Martin, daughter of Charles Martin, of Stoke, New Zealand.
- L1. Jack Martin Chaytor, b. 7 Feb 1913, m. 28 Dec 1937 to Ida Kathleen Russell, daughter of E. A. Russell, of Dannevirke, New Zealand.
- L2. José Melva Chaytor, b. 5 May 1909.
- K2. Walter Henry Chaytor, b. 1875, m. 1909 to Frederica Mary Stafford, daughter of William Howard Stafford, of Upper Montere, Nelson, New Zealand.
- K3. Frank Clervaux Chaytor, b. 1884, Captain,m. 31 Oct 1922 to Alice Hill, daughter of John Hill, of Winslow.
- L1. Joon Clervaux Chaytor, b. 11 Mar 1925.
- K4. Frances Mary Chaytor.
- K5. Kathleen Chaytor, m. 1905 to Hubert Francis Vaughan Miller, of Ballance, New Zealand.
- I3. Matthew Hutton Chaytor, b. 31 Dec 1807, d. 1882, m. 1838 to Elizabeth Horn, daughter of Nathan Horn, of Bishopwearmouth.
- J1. D'Arcy Chaytor, b. 28 Aug 1840, d. 23 Jul 1903 without issue, m. 25 Jul 1893 to Lily Watkins, daughter of T. J. Watkins.
- I4. Isabella Chaytor, b. 11 Apr 1810, m. 3 Mar 1836 to Thomas Drewett-Drewett of Jarrow Hall (d. 15 Jul 1870).
Arms: Quarterly, 1st and 4th, party per bend dancettée argent, and azure three cinquefoils, two in chief, and one in base, counterchange, for Chaytor. Second and third, sable a saltire or, for Clervaux.
Crest: Chaytor, a stag's head erased lozengy, argent and azure the dexter horn of the first, the sinister, of the second. Clervaux, an eagle displayed. A heron ppr.
Baron Chaytor of Croft:
Arms: Per bend dancettée argent and azure, four quatre-foils counterchanged.
Crest: A buck's head couped lozengy argent and sable, attired or, in the mouth a trefoil slipped vert.
Motto: Fortune le vent.