The Physiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology Department is a multidisciplinary group that performs teaching, research and extension services to the community. The Department is part of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon. We are specifically located in the Agricultural Sciences Campus in Escobedo, Nuevo Leon.
The department has a teaching lab for Veterinary Physiology, Pharmacology, Toxicology and Clinical Pathology. We also have a research lab to investigate different aspects of food toxicology, mainly mycotoxins. Members of the department include MSc. Marco A. Cantu, MSc. Aime Garza, and PhD. Alicia Marroquin-Cardona.
ACTIVE RESEARCH PROJECTS
1. Propolis application to reduce Aspergillus and Fusarium contamination in maize (SEP-CONACYT Basic Science 2016-2018).
2. Addition of clays to reduce mycotoxin exposure in animal feed (COMPANY FUNDED 2017).
3. Urinary biomarkers of aflatoxin and fumonisin exposure in a population of Monterrey, Mexico (CONACYT-Texas A&M 2014).
4. Propolis application to reduce Aspergillus and Fusarium contamination (PAICYT-UANL 2015-2017)
5. Fumonisin presence in horse feed (SNI).
Our Veterinary School has been acknowledged as supporter of the "One Health Initiative" and our department will contribute to expand the mission of this enterprise by organizing relevant talks and encouraging our students to engage in activities that integrate animals, humans and environmental health.