the "fishBOOT"‎ > ‎version 1‎ > ‎

0. how I made it

First, I drew a 3-D model of it in Sketchup.  Then I intersected the model with 1" layers, corresponding to the 1" thick pink insulation.  Sketchup identified and drew lines along the intersection lines between the model and the 1" layers.  I pulled these lines out, printed them, full size and to scale (on 4' by 8' sheets of paper), and used these as stencils to draw cut-out lines on the insulation.  

I cut the insulation along the lines, applied resin/hardener between the layers, and screwed the layers together.  Below is a picture of this early form.

I sanded the form (inside an old tent to contain the dust) and had Kris Henderson and Henderson Boat Company wrap the form with fiberglass and sand it.  

I pried the insulation out of the form in the area where the fishman stands, revealing the transverse horizontal tube which passes through the hull between the fishman's feet, and conducted the first displacement test.  

The first displacement test revealed that the boat had a little too much displacement in the stern, so I bought 8 lbs of lead sheet (1/8" thick), and wrapped 5 lbs of the sheet around the tail end.  This corrected the craft's neutral trim.

Then I installed the forward wing in a tube in the form, attached the stabilizer bracket (a vertically oriented PVC tube at the front of the cowl), and made an outrigger frame.  I mounted outriggers to the frame (some old ones I had from version one), added a tail, and did the first trial.  It went really well!  I was happy!

I tweaked the forward wing to develop thrust and did a second trial.  The second trial went better than the first!  Since then, I've found that a forward/back motion develops a surprising amount of thrust.  I need to tweak the tail in particular and get steering in place so I can get off the tether.  More to come!
1" layers of pink insulation, bonded, not yet sanded

Comments