LIFE'S MOST IMPORTANT DECISION
Choosing to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior is the single most important decision you will ever make in your life. Because it is such an important decision, these notes are written to help you understand what it means to become a Christian. Some of the Bible verses you will read you may already know by heart. You may not know any of them. That doesn't make any difference--- the important thing is that you see what God's Word says about becoming a Christian. Here are five things you need to know:
1. GOD LOVES EVERY PERSON, AND THAT INCLUDES YOU. John, chapter 3, verse 16 says, "For God so loved the world (that means you and me) that He gave his one and only Son (Jesus), that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." You see, God loves you and me more than we can ever know. HE WANTS TO BECOME OUR BEST FRIEND!
2. EVERY PERSON HAS SINNED. Romans, chapter 3, verse 23 says "for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...." That means everyone, including YOU and ME. Jesus Christ was the only one who ever lived or who ever will live who was sinless. If we went all our lives and only did one little sin, we would miss heaven!
3. SIN HAS TERRIBLE RESULTS. Romans chapter 6, verse 23 says "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." You see, if we do nothing about our sin, the result is "death." This death is not a physical death (our physical body will die sooner or later), but a spiritual death, resulting in spending forever separated from God in a terrible place called hell. But notice the last part of that verse.... "but the gift of God is eternal life...." Again, we not talking about a physical life forever, but a spiritual life resulting in spending forever with God in heaven without sorrow, pain, or trouble.
Want to know what God's Word tells us about heaven? Read Revelation chapter 21, verses 3-4; also, in the same chapter, read verses 16-27. Want to know what God's Word tells us about hell? Read Luke chapter 16, verses 19-26; also read Matthew chapter 13, verses 40-42.
4. JESUS CHRIST PAID FOR OUR SINS. Romans, chapter 5, verse 8 says "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." You see, we should have to pay for our sins by going to hell, but Jesus Christ, though sinless Himself, was willing to suffer a terrible death on a cross and pay for our sins, even though we don't deserve it. Now that's love! He arose from the grave three days later, and because He lives forever, we can live forever. A minute ago, we said that salvation is a "gift" of God. That means it's something you cannot earn. A gift is not a gift if you have to earn it. Also, if I were giving you a gift, you have the right to accept it or reject it. God is very willing to GIVE salvation to you, but you have to ACCEPT it from him.
5. HERE'S HOW WE ACCEPT GOD'S GIFT OF SALVATION. Romans chapter 10, verses 9, 10 and 13 say "That if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is your LORD and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.... For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." This simply means that a person who believes in God with all their heart, believes that Jesus Christ is the one and only perfect Son of God, turns from their sinful living, trusts Him to make them a Christian, and publicly proclaims that Jesus is their Lord will be saved. By "calling on the Lord" (praying to Him), He will save you. You say, "I want to be saved, but I'm not sure what to say." O. K., let's summarize what we've talked about. To be saved, you must:
1) Know that God loves you and wants you to be saved;
2) Admit that you have sinned and need His forgiveness;
3) Know that there is nothing you can do to earn salvation yourself;
4) Believe in your heart that Jesus died for you and arose from the grave;
5) Be willing to repent (turn away from) your sins and ask Jesus to save you;
6) Publicly proclaim that Jesus is your Lord (Master) from this day forward.
Do you agree with these statements? If so, why not ask Him right now? Here is a sample prayer:
"Dear God, I can see how much you love me. Thank you for making it possible for me to be saved. I have sinned against you, and I am truly sorry. I believe with all my heart that Jesus died for me so that my sins could be forgiven. Right now I am turning from my sins and accepting Jesus Christ as my Savior and will proclaim Him as my Lord from this day forward. I am trusting you to save me simply because you said you would. Thank you for your gift of salvation. Please help me to grow as a new Christian. In Jesus' name I pray this prayer, A-men.
Is this what you want to say? If so, you can use this prayer, or just use your own words. You can say it out loud or say it in your heart. The important thing is that you mean it. Take a moment right now and pray to Him...
"O.K., so you have prayed and asked the Lord to forgive you and save you. You might ask, "How can I know for sure that He saved me?" Answer: Because He said said He would! Romans chapter 10, verse 13 says "For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord WILL be saved." He didn't say "might" be saved, or "should" be saved; He said WILL. So, based on the Word of God, YOU ARE SAVED.
A FEW THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW AS A NEW CHRISTIAN...
You are saved FOREVER. God is not an "indian giver" who may change his mind and take away your salvation. Jesus Christ himself said in John, chapter 10, verses 27 and 28 say, "My sheep (Christians) listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them ETERNAL LIFE (that means forever), and they shall NEVER perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand." Notice that he didn't say "they shall never perish, unless they do something I don't like." The Word of God says we are saved forever. Isn't that great? In gratitude for this, we should yield our lives to Him every day and desire to please Him.
When you are saved, Jesus becomes your best friend. When you have good friends, you like to talk to them, don't you? That's the reason it's so important to talk to Jesus in prayer every day. He wants you to talk to Him about everything that's happening in your life, good or bad. When you have good friends, you want to get to know them well, don't you? That's the reason it's so important to read the Bible each day and go to a Bible-believing church to learn everything you can about Jesus. Yes, Jesus is your best friend, and He is able to help you in any situation. Need a Bible? We'll give you one!
One of the best ways you can grow as a Christian is to join a church with other Christians and study God's Word together. When you join the church, you will be baptized in a pool of water. Jesus asks all new Christians to be baptized to show others that we have "died" to a life of sin (going under the water) and have "risen" to a new life with Jesus (coming back out of the water). This next Sunday, come worship with us, and when the Pastor gives the invitation at the end of the message, why not go tell him that you have prayed to accept Jesus? It will be a great experience for you, and make everyone so happy that you have been saved!
Oh, and one more thing.... While it is true that you have made a lot of people happy, you also have made Satan MAD! Why? Because 1) he has lost control of your life, and 2) you can tell your friends about Jesus and see them become Christians. You can be certain He will do whatever he can to stop you. A lot of times, when bad things happen to people, they get upset with God and blame Him for their troubles. But, don't get mad at God, get mad at Satan and ask God to help you. Talk to your Pastor or a Christian friend. They will help you! Remember: God loves you, and we do too! If you have just become a Christian, or this page has helped you at all, please click here to let us know about it!