1. Competition Dates and Times: The Competition begins on March 18, 2008 at 12:00:01 AM Eastern Time U.S. (“ET”), and ends on May 27, 2008 at 11:59:59 PM ET U.S. (the “Competition Period”). The YouTube computer runs the official clock for the Competition. During the Competition Period there is a single open call for submission of video entries and two judging events which start and end on or about the dates and times noted below:
2. Competition Entities: The Competition is sponsored by Vancouver Film School (“Vancouver Film School”) of 2nd Floor, 198 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 1H2 Canada, is executed on www.youtube.com by YouTube, Inc. of 901 Cherry Ave., San Bruno, CA 94066 U.S.A. and is administrated by Marden-Kane, Inc. of 36 Maple Place, Manhasset, NY 11030 U.S.A. (the “Administrator”) (collectively referred to as the “Competition Entities”).
This Competition is not open to employees, officers, directors or students of the Competition Entities, the Competition Entities’ respective parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies, advertising and promotion agencies, legal and financial advisors and any and all other companies associated with this Competition (collectively the “Group”), and their respective immediate families. "Immediate family" is defined as: parents, spouses, children and siblings regardless of where they live, or any persons living in the same household as anyone belonging to the Group. The Competition is void and not available in Puerto Rico nor any other U.S. territories or possessions and where prohibited by law. There is no fee or charge to become a registered YouTube member.
5. Vancouver Film School/YouTube Scholarship Competition Video Technical and Content Requirements:
• Running Time: Three (3) minutes maximum - including any credits.
• Maximum File Size: 100MB
• Video Formats: YouTube accepts video files from most digital cameras, camcorders and cell phones in the .WMV, .AVI, .MOV and .MPG file formats
• Language: All English dialog or with English subtitles. Non-English dialog Entries that are submitted without English subtitles will not be eligible for judging. The subtitles must be legible and accurately reflect the dialog. Should the judges and translators determine that there is a significant disparity in meaning between an Entry’s dialog and associated subtitles, the Entry will not be eligible for any prize consideration and may be disqualified from this competition at any time and at the sole discretion of Sponsor.
• Content Guidelines: The following content guidelines are a requirement of entry and must be included:
1. Beginning your video by announcing the one (1) Vancouver Film School program for which you have selected. Available Vancouver Film School programs include the following:
a. Foundation Visual Art & Design
b. Acting Essentials
c. 3D Animation & Visual Effects
d. Classical Animation
e. Digital Character Animation
f. Houdini™ Certification
g. Acting for Film & Television
h. Digital Design
i. Entertainment Business Management
j. Film Production
k. Game Design
l. Makeup Design for Film & Television
m. Sound Design for Visual Media
n. Writing for Film & Television
2. Your video should concentrate on the theme “What Matters to You”
Entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the Entry, all approval of parent or guardian, licenses, rights, assignments of rights, waivers of non-transferable rights, consents and permissions to the Entry or performance contained in such Entry, and to all underlying elements or other works incorporated into the Entry (including without limitation the music and lyrics performed, the use and exhibition of the Entry by Sponsor in the manner set forth in these Official Rules, including without limitation, name, voice, statements, photos and likeness releases for any person who appears in or is identifiable in the video) (collectively, the “Clearances”).
The entrant further represents, warrants and agrees that he/she: (i) consents to the submission and use of the Entry in the Competition, and to its posting on the Internet in connection with the Competition; (ii) has obtained the required Clearances and will make them available to the Sponsor upon request; and (iii) has obtained the required permits from local authorities and other regulatory permissions and will make them available to the Sponsor upon request.
Group Entries will not be accepted (although different individuals might have taken part in the making of a Vancouver Film School video, only one individual may be considered to have produced and submitted the video).
7. Disqualification: Competition Entities reserve the right to verify the legitimacy of all submitted releases, approvals and permissions, or to supply a release form to an Entrant which must be executed in full and returned within 48 hours of attempted notification. If the appropriate form(s) are not received as directed, the Entry will be disqualified.
Sponsor reserve the right to disqualify any Entries if in the Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion, an Entry: (i) includes trademarks, logos, copyrighted material or any other proprietary or intellectual property rights not owned by entrant or used without permission (such as company names, music, photographs, works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media); (ii) uses individuals’ names in whole or in part (including the entrant’s last name); (iii) refers to public figures; (iv) contains profanity, pornographic or sexual content, content promoting alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, or firearms or weapons, hateful content of any kind (including racism, sexism, etc.), content that promotes violence or harm to another living creature; (v) promotes a political agenda regardless of the political affiliation and regardless of Competition Entities’ treatment of other Entries that may or may not promote a political agenda; (vi) defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other persons or companies; and (vii) contains materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs or other identifying elements of any person, living or dead, without permission.
The Competition Entities may at their discretion require any other individuals appearing in an Entry to sign and submit a Personal Release within two days of receipt. Failure to complete and submit a Personal Release, by any individual appearing in an Entry, may void the Entry from inclusion in the Competition.
If the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, believes the Entry, the awarding of the prize or Competition itself violates any applicable law, rules or regulations, the Sponsor may at any time and without liability to any person disqualify an Entry, refuse to award a prize, or suspend, modify, or cancel all or any part of this Competition.
Competition Entities reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant found tampering with the Entry process or Entry materials, and to suspend, modify, or cancel all or any part of this Competition for any reason or no reason at all.
8. Privacy: Any personal information collected from the Competition (including from an Entry) shall be used and disclosed only in a manner consistent with the consent given by Entrants at the time of Entry, with these Official Rules, and with the Privacy Policies which can be found at www.youtube.com/t/privacy and http://vfs.com/privacy.php. All Competition information is collected in the United States.
Winners agree that in consideration of their participation in the Competition, Vancouver Film School and You Tube and each of their successors, assigns and licensees shall have the right and permission to use their name, photograph, testimonial or other likeness and/or prize information or personal exposition (and/or any edited portion thereof) for promotional, advertising and/or publicity purposes in any media, now or hereafter known throughout the world in perpetuity, without compensation or notice to, or further consent of, to the winner to the extent permitted by law.
9. Judging to Determine Finalists: All eligible Entries received during the Open Call for Entries that have satisfied the technical and content requirements in Rule #5 will be judged by a panel of judges including representatives selected by the Sponsor (the “Panel”). The Panel will score each eligible Entry based on the following judging criteria and associated point score (0 = worst; 25 = best):
• Creativity and Originality (up to 25 points)
• Relevance of the video to the particular program of study selected (up to 25 points)
• Technical Execution: Camera/Sound/Lighting/Editing (up to 25 points)
• Overall Impression (up to 25 points)
Based on the foregoing criteria, the Panel will determine the top scoring twenty (20) Entries, of which the top ten (10) will be known as the “Finalists” and the next ten (10) Entries will be known as the “Alternates”. In the event of a tie, all tied Entries will be re-judged by an additional judge selected by Sponsor who will break the tie using the same judging criteria. The Panel’s decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Competition. If the Sponsor does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Entries, and/or if any Finalist or Alternate fails to return required paperwork by May 19, 2008 (see Rule #10), Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Finalist or Alternate, post fewer than ten (10) Finalist videos for the public vote, or select an Alternate to qualify as a Finalist.
10. Finalist/Alternate Notification: The ten (10) Finalists and ten (10) Alternates will be notified by telephone and/or email on or about May 14, 2008 and will be required to sign and properly execute the following documents and return them via facsimile (and subsequently by mail) to Administrator by May 19, 2008: (1) a Personal Release; (2) an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Waiver; (3) where lawful, a Publicity Release; (4) when required by Entrant’s local law, written documentation of parental approval. If any documents sent by any means to a Finalist/Alternate are returned as undeliverable or if a Finalist or Alternate fails to properly execute and return all documents described herein in the time noted, or if a Finalist or Alternate is found not to be eligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules and/or the YouTube terms and conditions, the Finalist or Alternate will be disqualified and the next highest scoring Entry may be moved up to a Finalist or Alternate and notified (time permitting) at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
11. Member Voting to Determine Three (3) Winners: Up to ten (10) Finalist videos will be posted on the Competition Site for YouTube member voting based on the Judging Criteria disclosed in Rule #9. Registered YouTube members will have the opportunity to critically evaluate and vote for their favorite video daily during the Member Voting period (see Rule #1 for dates/times). Limit one vote, per video, per YouTube member, per Day during Member Voting period. A “Day” is defined as a series of 24-hour periods beginning on May 20, 2008 at 12:00:00 AM ET (United States) each day during the Member Voting period and ending at 12:00:00 AM ET on May 27, 2008. At the conclusion of the Member Voting period, the total votes received will be tabulated by the Sponsor. The three (3) Entries with the most votes will be deemed the three (3) Grand Prize Winners. In the event of a tie, all tied Entries will be re-judged by an additional judge selected by Sponsors, who, using the judging criteria as described in Rule # 10, will break the tie. The prize winners will be announced at www.youtube.com on or about May 30, 2008. Designation as a Finalist and/or a prize winner is subject to proof of compliance with Official Rules, compliance with these Official Rules and YouTube terms and conditions and final approval by Sponsor. The judges’ (including the Sponsor and the Panel) decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Competition.
12. Notification of Winners: Potential Grand Prize winners will be notified by mail, telephone, and/or email on or about May 28, 2008. Potential winners may be asked to complete additional forms (e.g. affidavit, travel release, assignment of copyright) at the sole discretion of the Sponsor unless prohibited by law. If any documents sent to a potential winner by any means are returned as undeliverable; a potential winner fails to properly execute and return all required documents by May 30, 2008; or if a potential winner is found not to be eligible or in compliance with these Official Rules, the potential prize winner will be disqualified even if the potential winner’s name may have been shown/announced online, and at the sole discretion of the Sponsor, the next highest scoring Entry may be moved up and notified. No more than three (3) Grand Prizes will be awarded. Except where prohibited by law, the Sponsors may announce the name, home city, state or province, and country of the winners online at www.youtube.com.
13. Prizes: Three (3) Grand Prizes each consisting of a full one-year tuition scholarship covering one of the fourteen programs of study offered at Vancouver Film School, in British Columbia, Canada. Tuition scholarship includes all costs for tuition and specified program supplies. Competition winners must successfully fulfill all VFS admission requirements prior to commencement of studies (available at http://www.vfs.com/admissions.php). Grand Prize Winners are solely responsible for all additional costs necessary to complete the program of study including, but not limited to, taxes, housing, transportation, food, and incidentals. Grand Prize Winners are also solely responsible for obtaining all necessary travel documents (e.g. acceptable photo ID, visa, and/or passport) where applicable. The Grand Prize will be forfeited if: (i) proper travel documents are unattainable for any reason within the time required by Sponsors; (ii) the winner did not have the unqualified right, at the time of being selected, to re-enter their country of origin after leaving the country; (iii) if any immigration complications arise which prohibit a winner from entering Canada; (iv) if winner cannot provide proof of English proficiency; or (v) if the winner cannot commit to attending the Vancouver Film School for any reason within two weeks of notification. Grand Prize Winners must be able to attend Vancouver Film School commencing no later than May 9, 2011. Estimated retail value of the Grand Prize is $30,000 each (Canadian). Actual value may vary based on course of study selected. Prizes are non-transferable; no substitutions or cash awards allowed, except at the discretion of Sponsor in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. All federal, state, provincial, country or other tax liabilities are the responsibility of the winner. All details of prize not specified herein shall be determined solely by Sponsor.
14. Disclaimers and Termination of Competition: Competition Entities and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, shareholders, agents and employees, and any Internet access providers (collectively “Released Parties”) are not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry of information, human error, technical malfunction, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failure of any telephone, computer or other network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof, inability to access the YouTube web site, for problems uploading or downloading any Competition-related materials from the web site, or for late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incorrect or incomplete Entry. For purposes of these Official Rules, receipt of Entry occurs when YouTube’s servers successfully receive the uploaded video file and record the required Entry information including the following: Vancouver Film School video title, description, entrant’s name, address, phone number and email address, and any other information as stated on the Competition Site.
Competition Entities are not responsible if Competition cannot take place or if prizes cannot be awarded due to delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
If, in Competition Entities’ opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering with any portion of the Competition, or if technical difficulties compromise the integrity of the Competition, the Sponsor reserves the right to invalidate suspect Entries or votes, terminate all or any part of the Competition and award the prizes in its sole discretion based on the judging criteria in rule #9. The use of any automated launching or entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permits the participant to automatically enter or vote repeatedly is prohibited. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entrant based on an e-mail address and/or YouTube member account information, the authorized YouTube member account holder will be viewed as the Entrant. Further, the Entry in question due to identity dispute may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Competition Entities. Should the Competition be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor will endeavor to post notice of termination at www.youtube.com.
15. Release and Indemnity: By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Competition Entities, their advertising and promotion agencies and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, and the judges (including the Panel), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Competition, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Competition-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery.
Entrant agrees not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against Sponsors and their successors, assigns and licensees, or any other person in connection with this Competition, on the grounds that any use of any Entry, or any derivative works, infringe or violate any of entrants’ rights therein.
ALL ENTRANTS ACCEPT THE CONDITIONS STATED IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE DECISIONS OF THE JUDGES (INCLUDING THE PANEL) AND MEMBER VOTING, REPRESENT, WARRANT AND AGREE THAT THEY ARE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS COMPETITION, THAT THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO GRANT THE RIGHTS RELATIVE TO THE ENTRIES AS PROVIDED HEREIN, AND THAT THEY RELEASE COMPETITION ENTITIES FROM AND AGAINST ALL CLAIMS AND DAMAGES ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH THEIR PARTICIPATION AND/OR ENTRY IN THE COMPETITION, SPONSORS’ USE OF THE ENTRIES, AND/OR THE AWARDING OF OR USE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED IN THIS COMPETITION, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LIABILITY/ DAMAGES FOR PERSONAL INJURY, BODILY INJURY, WRONGFUL DEATH OR DISABILITY, DAMAGE TO PROPERTY AND DAMAGE OR LOSS OF ANY KIND.
ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE COMPETITION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND, SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SUCH ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
ENTRANTS (OR IF ENTRANT IS NOT OF AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR STATE OR COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE, GUARDIANS OF SUCH) AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS THE COMPETITION ENTITIES AND THEIR SUCCESSORS, ASSIGNS AND LICENSEES FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LOSSES, DAMAGES OR LIABILITY (INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND EXPENSES) THAT MAY BE ASSERTED AGAINST OR INCURRED BY ANY OF THEM AT ANY TIME, IN CONNECTION WITH ENTRY, OR USE THEREOF, OR BY THE ENTRANT’S BREACH OF ANY AGREEMENT (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THESE OFFICIAL RULES) OR WARRANTY ASSOCIATED WITH THE COMPETITION.
16. Grant: By entering this Competition and in consideration of the entrant’s participation therein, and to the extent allowed by law, entrants grant Vancouver Film School and YouTube and their successors, assigns and licensees the absolute, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive, assignable, sub-licensable right and permission to reproduce, translate, edit, modify, publish, exploit, distribute, display and use the Entry, the content of and elements embodied in the Entries and the Entries themselves in perpetuity in any and all media including but not limited to digital and electronic media, computer, audio and audiovisual media (whether now existing or hereafter devised), in any language, throughout the world, and in any manner, for trade, advertising, promotional, commercial, or any other purposes without further approval or consideration. Except where prohibited by Entrant’s local law. Entrants waive in favor of the Vancouver Film School, YouTube and each of their successors, assigns and licensees from any and all claims that entrants may now or hereafter have in any jurisdiction in respect of “moral rights” or “droit moral” or unfair competition with respect to their exploitation of Entries without further compensation to entrants of any kind.
17. Governing Law: This Competition is governed by, and will be construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of British Columbia, Canada. The courts of British Columbia, Canada, sitting in the City of Vancouver, will have original and exclusive jurisdiction over any and all legal actions, claims or disputes arising in connection with this Competition.
18. Country Specific Notices: If any provision of these rules is invalid under the law, rules or regulation of a particular country, it will only apply to the extent permitted. In addition to the tax liability disclosures (rule #13) in these rules, winners are subject to abide by the income reporting and, if applicable, the payment of any taxes due per the laws, rules and regulations of the winners’ country of residence.
19. For Brazil Only: Vancouver Film School is the sponsor of this cultural and artistic Competition. In the event a winner is from Brazil, a substitute prize of equal value may be offered if required by Brazilian law. Entrants in Brazil agree that they are not “customers” of any of the Competition Entities.
20. Winners List: To obtain names of winners send a postcard with your name and return address clearly written to: VFS/YouTube Scholarship Competition Winners, c/o Marden-Kane, Attn: MB, 36 Maple Place, Manhasset, NY 11030. Requests received after July 31, 2008 will not be fulfilled. The names of the Winners may also be posted on www.youtube.com. Competition Entities will not be required to enter into any correspondence, including e-mail, with non-winning entrants.
YouTube, the YouTube logo, YouTube broadcast yourself are registered trademarks of YouTube Inc.
© 2008 Marden-Kane, Inc. All rights reserved. These Official Rules may not be copied, edited or used for any other purpose, commercial or otherwise without the express written consent of Marden-Kane, Inc.