What We Are Doing: Wayne & Lisa Merritt
This document outlines the steps we’ve taken to fight a diagnosis of cancer my husband Wayne was given in September 2009. He was told he had stage IV pancreatic cancer with liver involvement and that it was inoperable. The prognosis of less than 6 months was given. (they really thought it would be more like 2-4 months) All of this was happening on the heels of my own diagnosis of breast cancer only 11 months earlier. I endured surgery, months of chemotherapy, numerous radiation treatments, and what seemed like an endless cycle of barely feeling human. I had just begun emerging out of the darkness when Wayne’s news was delivered to us. HOWEVER,…. We were over the shock factor. We faced all of that when I was going through treatment. So now….. we could concentrate of the fight!
I started researching, looking for answers. I will by no means state that this will work for everyone, but all these things we are doing appears to be working for Wayne.
His full story can be found at www.caringbridge.org waynemerritt (website to view). Our journey from beginning to present is documented there.
Feel free to share this information with anyone you like. Also feel free to contact me via email with questions about the specifics of things we are doing.
· Find an advocate. It’s hard to do it all yourself. Find someone you trust with the knowledge to do the research and ask for their help. Wayne had me, and I got to work!
· We cut out all refined sugar, corn sugar, high fructose corn syrup, instead we choose natural honey or Agave Syrup in moderation. Sugar to cancer is as gas is to fire!!! Natural or otherwise! MODERATION is key!
· We steam vegetables, on the stove not the microwave!
· We cook and slice our own meat for sandwiches; NO PROCESSED MEATS!
· We us a pump sprayer for olive oil in place of an aerosol non-stick spray
· We BOUGHT a GOOD juicer. If you’re going to do it…. spend the money. It’s worth it. This is the juicer we use,... after burning up two others...... http://www.brevilleusa.com/juicing/juice-fountain-plus-je98xl.html
· We keep a ratio of approximately ¾ vegetables and ¼ fruits. Fruits contain natural sugars…… which is turned into insulin and is suspected to feed cancer cells….. so we use fruits and fruit juices in moderation
· We juice just enough to drink, and if it must be stored, we store it in a glass container in the refrigerator
· We WASH everything before juicing in a mixture of ½ cup white vinegar to 1 gallon of water. Only wash what you intend to use that day…. If you wash it all it goes bad much faster
· We purchased Encapsulated Vitamin C – Provides high doses of vitamin C..... http://www.livonlabs.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/lypo-spheric/LSC30.html Because there was liver involvement….. we started this organic liver detox. http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/our_products/item/herbal-detox-formula/13
· We consulted with a Certified Dietitian at the Block Center for a customized list of supplements specific to the diagnosis.
· We went to The Block Center in Evanston IL. Information can be found on his website. http://www.blockmd.com/ And we highly recommend his book which can be found at this website. http://www.lifeovercancer.com/
· We highly recommend you ask your doctor about an Intravenous multi vitamin pack BEFORE EACH chemo treatment!
· We believe in a power higher than ourselves! Faith is a mighty healing force!
· We strive to keep a positive attitude
· We practice “right” thinking! The brain is a very powerful thing!!!!!!
· We use visualization!!!!! Seeing ourselves well, healthy, happy, whole!!! It feels funny at first, but give it a try for a week! You may be surprised how good it makes you feel
· We don’t use Teflon pans. High heat causes them to give off toxins, and eventually they will start pealing, allowing small particles to get into your food. This is a link to safe non-stick pans.... http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitchen-and-food/individual-cookware/green-pan-rocks-frypans/f38801 You can also find some great non-stick pans at Kroger. They are made by BIALETTI, and called aeternum. They contain no PFOA, no PTFE and no Cadmium. A nano-ceramin coating is what makes it non-stick and they are wonderful!
· We are careful with plastics. We never use plastics in the microwave! Check your plastics,… if there is a 3 or a 7 in the triangle on the bottom…. THROW IT AWAY! If there is a 1,2,4,5, or a 6,…. Use it ONLY FOR COLD STORAGE! Never leave bottled waters in a hot car
· We fired the bug man! Well, not really, but we asked him to spray ONLY the outside perimeter of our house…. Never inside! Cleanliness is what will keep the bugs at bay on the inside. You can also use traps….. mouse traps,…. insect sticky traps
· We clean with natural substances. Vinegar and baking soda make great household cleaners. Many natural recipes can be found on the internet
· We buy deodorant that does not contain aluminum, or MAKE OUR OWN using ¼ corn starch, ¼ baking soda, 1 tbsp coconut oil, and a few drops of essence oil. Mix it by kneading in a freezer bag,... and put in an old stick container
· We sleep in a completely dark room,….. or you could choose to wear a sleep mask, and we try stick to a regular sleep schedule
· We try not to carry our cell phones on our person! And we try to limit its use. We put a wall between us and our phones at night
· We strictly limit all chemicals used in our house, in our yard, and on our person. We pay close attention to lotions, cleansers, sprays, shampoos and cosmetics!! Skin is our largest organ,.. and very absorbent!!
· We use well water, but you can get a water filter for your shower that removes all chlorine. There are also whole house filters available. We invested in one of them,... but make sure it filters chlorine!!! Most don't!
· We don’t immerse ourselves in chlorinated water,….. bath tub, pool or hot tub. Saltwater pools and hot tubs are ok.... again, in moderation
· Public water is only good for your washer, dishwasher, and toilets,…. WE DON’T DRINK IT,.. WE DON’T COOK WITH IT,…. AND WE DON’T BATHE IN IT
· Get active!!! Move!!! Find a passion, your purpose,….something that gets you up every morning!!! Something you enjoy!!! DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE ELSE! It’s very hard to feel bad when you are serving others!!!