All of The IRL watershed counties and their cities are working together to improve the water quality of the Lagoon . This watershed wide movement to adopt and use the strong fertilizer ordinance to reduce nutrient pollution is a remarkable grassroots achievement. Sending rainwater to the Lagoon, keeps our communities from flooding. For this privilege, our mission must be to keep that runoff as clean as possible. We must, do no harm. We must save the IRL.
Summary: A consensus is finalizing among the governments in the IRL watershed. Volusia, Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin Counties and 40 of their 44 incorporated municipalities have adopted strong fertilizer ordinances. There are minor differences among the many ordinances, principally in how big to make the fertilizer free zone and certain exemptions. They now all have ordinances with these common features:
- Rainy season ban from June 1 - September 30 for nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizer
- No phosphorus allowed without a soil test that indicates need
- Use only fertilizer with total nitrogen content of at least 50% slow release
- Fertilizer free zone, at a minimum, within 10 feet of all bodies of water, no exceptions
- Sets maximum yearly limits by grass types and application rates for fertilizer use on lawns
- Prohibits fertilizer use on new turf for 30 days
- Prohibits leaving grass clippings and fertilizer on any impervious surface (concrete)
- Prohibits fertilizing on days when a heavy rain is expected, if the ground is water saturated or during a flood watch, tropical storm, or hurricane watch or warning
- Establishes a voluntary low maintenance zone within 10' of all water bodies
- Exempts bona fide farm operations
- Requires professionals and institutional applicators to have training
- Establishes penalties for non compliance
All commercial fertilizer applicators
What's Legal in Brevard - The County and all of its 16 municipalities have adopted the strong version of the fertilizer ordinance.
Unincorporated Brevard County (206,664) Chapter 46, Article VIII 15' fertilizer free zone
Rockledge (24,926) Ordinance No. 1614-2013 Bans all fertilizer east of Rockledge Drive.
Satellite Beach (10,109) Ordinance No. 1784
Melbourne Village (665) Ordinance 2013-4
Titusville (43,761) Ordinance No. 36-2013 25' fertilizer free zone along IRL
Cocoa Beach (11, 260) Ordinance No. 1576
Cape Canaveral (9,912) Chapter 92
Indian Harbor Beach (8,249) Ordinance No.2013 - 7 25' fertilizer free zone from all water bodies
Grant-Valkaria (3,890) Ordinance No. 2014 - 01 25' fertilizer free zone along IRL
Cocoa (17,140) Ordinance No. 11 - 2014
Malabar (2,785) Ordinance No. 2014-04
Indialantic (2,720) Ordinance No. 14-09 25' fertilizer free zone from all water bodies
Palm Bay (104,124) Ordinance No. 2014-16
West Melbourne (19,164) Ordinance No. 2014-15
Palm Shores (900) Ordinance 2014 - 5 No nitrogen within 25' of the IRL
Melbourne Beach (3,101) Ordinance 2014 - 07
Melbourne (77,048) Sec 50 - 109
What's Legal in Indian River - The County and 4 of its 5 municipalities have adopted the strong version of the fertilizer ordinance.
Unincorporated Indian River County (108,529) Ordinance No. 2013 - 012 Amended
Vero Beach (15,220) Ordinance No. 2013 - 23
Indian River Shores (3,967) Ordinance No. 513
Orchid (421) Ordinance No. 2014 - 01
Sebastian (22,364) Ordinance No. 0 - 14 - 2
Fellsmere (5,286) Model Ordinance
What's Legal in St Lucie - The County and all 3 of its municipalities have adopted the strong version of the fertilizer ordinance.
Unincorporated St Lucie County (65,851) Ordinance No. 2014 - 3
Port St Lucie (168,7160) Ordinance 14 - 10
St Lucie Village (597) Ordinance 2014 - 2 (not available online)
Ft Pierce (42,465) Ordinance 14 - 014
What's Legal in Martin County - The County and 3 of its 4 municipalities have committed to the strong version of the fertilizer ordinance
Unincorporated Martin County (130,004) Sec. 67.434.
Sewall's Point (2,041) Article VII - Fertilizer Note: No fertilizer Jun 1 - Nov 30
Stuart (15,581) Ordinance No. 2280-2014 Note: Allows low P
Ocean Breeze Park (354) Ordinance 209 - 2014 For a copy, email: email@example.com
Town of Jupiter Island (837) Model Ordinance
What's Legal in Volusia County - The County and 14 of the 16 of incorporated municipalities are now regulated by the strong version of the fertilizer ordinance. Only Deltona (86,290) and DeBary (19,320) follow the minimum, "state model."