Turns you android phone into a handy Wi-Fi analyzer!
Install via Android Market
WiFi Analyzer FAQ: (Thanks to DzenHax)
* There is a bug in some Android devices that will cause WiFi Analyzer to display old values (SSID, channel etc) after the the initial settings have been changed! The only current workaround is to reboot your phone! Please see Issue 5178 for more details.
1. What is this app for?
Wifi Analyzer is a handy tool which helps you to select a better channel for your wireless router.
2. What is a "Channel"?
A Wi-Fi channel is a range of radio frequencies that an access point or wireless router uses to communicate with your android phone or other Wi-Fi enabled device.
Wi-Fi networks operating on the same channel are forced to share bandwidth.
Wi-Fi channels are arranged in an overlapping pattern according to IEEE_802.11, and adjacent channels share a certain range of bandwidth interfering with one another.
3. How do I choose the right channel?
First, don't choose a channel used by other networks. Second, don't share bandwidth with others.
4. How can I know what channels are being used around me?
Install "Wifi Analyzer" on your android phone and run it! Switch to "channel graph" view to see the visualized graph.
5. This was hard to understand. I don't understand what all this stuff means!
You can use the "channel rating" view! Press the "MENU" key, "View", "Channel rating", and you'll see a list of ratings for all the channels. Press "MENU" again, "Set my AP", choose your router by name and MAC address. You can see the rating for your router. A higher rating means better connection quality.
6. What does "Set my AP" mean in channel rating?
It means something like "choose my wireless router and compare it's rating with others'". It does not mean "connect to a Wi-Fi network" or "change to another channel" definitely!!
7. How do I change to a different channel?
This app will not configure your wireless router and configuration goes beyond the scope of this FAQ. Please read the manual of your router or google "MODEL_OF_YOUR_ROUTER channel configuration" (Please replace MODEL_OF_YOUR_ROUTER with the real model of your router).
8. What about Ad Hoc?
Ad Hoc networks are not officially supported by Android, but this application can recognize them anyway ("Ad Hoc" in list or a dashed line in graph). I am working on it, maybe it will be possible to connect to an Ad Hoc network with Wifi Analyzer later on.
My Bitcoin Address: 1GdEVbR3FVqu7pSpZFAhZwy1rE4K2GMVnV