10 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 medium pineapple, ripe, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
1 small champagne mango, peeled
1/2 c light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c sour cream
1) Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8 inch square cake pan, line with parchment paper and butter. Set aside.
2) Cut out a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch circle from the cores of 4 of the pineapple slices. Finely chop remaining pineapple to equal 1 cup and set aside. Any remaining pineapple should be reserved for another use.
3) Cut the mango lengthwise in 1/2 inch thick slices and cut 1 1/2 to 2 inch circles to fit in the centers of the pineapple slices. Set aside.
4) In the bowl of a mixer, cream 2 tablespoons of butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy. Spread evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan. Place the 4 pineapple rings and mango rounds on top of the butter and brown sugar mixture.
5) In a medium bowl, stir the flour, baking soda and powder and salt with a whisk to combine. Set aside.
6) In the mixing bowl again, add the remaining 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of butter and sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix to incorporate. Alternate between the flour and sour cream and mix until just combined. Add the chopped pineapple and mix to incorporate - don't overmix.
7) Spread the cake mixture over the pineapple slices evenly, making sure to fill any gaps.
8) Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 30 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen and then invert on a serving plate, peeling off the parchment. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of www.farmgirlgourmet.com