What you need:
- 2 cups minus 2 tbsp. cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/4 lb. bittersweet disks or feves (or chips or chunks!)
- Sea salt
- Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- Cream together butter and sugars together for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat until combined.
- Add vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients. Beat until just combined.
- Add chocolate disks or whatever you got.
- Refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours.* I did one hour because Alton Brown had said there was no difference between 1 hour and 24 hours. Or 48 hours.
- On a lined baking sheet, drop dough with a little scooper.
Sprinkle sea salt on top - this part really made the cookie, so don't
- Bake at 350* for 18 to 20 minutes.* I had to do 10 to 12 minutes. Probably because I only chilled the dough for 1 hour.
- Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes after removing from oven. Then remove to a wire rack.
- Makes about 4 1/2 dozen cookies.