What you need:
- 1 package (16 ounces) white mini marshmallows (use a good quality brand)
- 2-5 tablespoons water
- 2 pounds (about 8 cups) sifted confectioners' sugar
marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl and add water (I believe I did 3
tbsp.). I microwaved in 30 second increments stirring after every
increment. It took 2 1/2 minutes total to get it nice and soupy.
- Stir in 3/4 cup powdered sugar. I have found that some recipes stir
in more on this step. I am trying it that way next time. So continue to
add sugar little by little until it starts forming a dough.
- Grease your hands and work surface very very generously with Crisco.
- Flip your marshmallow dough onto the surface and knead, working in
more powdered sugar until you form a smooth ball. If it's sticky, add
more powdered sugar. If it's tearing, add a tbsp. of water.
- It's best to let it sit overnight before using. You'll want to wrap
it tightly twice in Saran wrap. Some sources say to store it in the
refrigerator (but that hardens it), others say to store at room
temperature, which is fine. This fondant stores for many days, even
- To add color, dip toothpick into gel food coloring (I used Wilton
brand) and stab into your ball of fondant. Knead until color is
- Now you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. Roll it out and cut into shapes, etc.