What you need:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. Italian sausage
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (28 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. mafalda or fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Pinch ground pepper
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes, crumbling as you go.
- Add onions and cook for 6 more minutes. Then add garlic, oregano,
and red pepper flakes; cook for 1 more minute or until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Bring to a
boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add basil and salt and
pepper, to taste.
- In a separate pot, cook pasta until al dente; drain. You'll want to do this towards the end of your soup cooking time :)
- In a bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, 1/4 tsp. salt, and pinch of pepper.
- Place a little of the cheese mixture into each serving bowl.
- Top cheese with a little pasta and then ladle over some soup.
- Very, very last, sprinkle as much or as little mozzarella as you want on top. Enjoy!
Recipe from A Farm Girl's Dabbles