What you need:
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. salt, plus some
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. finely chopped dill
- 1 jar whole dill pickles, cut into spears
- Preheat deep fryer (or pot with oil) to 375. Combine cornmeal, flour,
paprika, salt, pepper and dill in a casserole dish or shallow bowl.
- Beat together milk, egg, cayenne and a splash of pickle juice in another casserole dish or shallow bowl.
- Thoroughly dry pickles with paper towels.
- Dredge first through wet ingredients.
- Then dredge in dry ingredients.
- Gently place in deep fryer and fry until golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray and immediately season with salt.
Recipe Source: The Neelys