What you need:
- Around a 3 lb. beef brisket
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 4 onions, sliced into thick rings
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced thickly
- 1 cup water with a beef bouillion cube dissolved in it
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
*Karen's recipe also includes a swede (rutabaga), 2 large parsnips,
and 1/2 turnip - none of which I could find...thanks to our lovely
selection of produce here in New York - hint of sarcasm...did you pick
up on it? She also uses 1 tbsp. mushroom ketchup - I've never heard of
this and had no clue where I might find it. My family doesn't like
mushrooms though, so we just omitted.
- Season brisket with salt and pepper and mustard powder.
- Place all veggies into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add the brisket on top of the veggies.
- Mix your Worcestershire sauce into your beef "broth" and if you have mushroom ketchup, mix it with it too.
- Pour over the veggies carefully, as not to get it on the meat.
- Cook on low for 8 to 11 hours.
- You can make a gravy out of the juices, if desired. Serve with greens and/or potatoes!
Recipe from Lavender and Lovage