What you need:
- 1 prepared pie crust, cooled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 2/3 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- In a double broiler, combine sugar, flour, and salt. Pour in milk while stirring, until it's blended.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes.
- Pour a little of it into the egg yolks and beat. Then pour egg yolks slowly into the milk mixture, stirring vigorously.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cover, with saran wrap touching the custard, and refrigerate until cool.
- When it is time to assemble, whip your heavy cream with powdered
sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. I recommend using a stand
mixer if you're a wimp like me!
- Fold half the whipped cream into the cooled custard and pour half of that into the prepared crust.
- Slice 2 bananas and layer on top of custard.
- Pour remaining custard on top.
- Slice remaining 2 bananas and toss with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Arrange on top of custard and top with remaining whipped cream. You
can pipe it on all pretty or whatever you want to do. Refrigerate for 2
hours before serving.
Recipe from Double the Sugar