The land currently know as Fairview Park and adjoining communities was first surveyed in the late 1700s by General Moses Cleaveland and his party, agents for the Connecticut Land Company. Surveyed into Ranges and Townships, Township Range 14 included what eventually became Rocky River, Fairview Park, West Park, Parkview, and most of Lakewood.
In 1819 the 18 families who lived in Township no.7 petitioned to have a name given to the place they called home. On February 24, 1819 their petition was granted and Rockport Township was born.
Despite being densely wooded with patches of quicksand and inhabited by a variety of creatures including bears, wolves, and less ferocious deer and turkey, Rockport continued to grow – attracting pioneer families looking for a better life. Some of the early settlers in the are include the Anthonys, Bassetts, Eatons. Jordans, Masticks, Millards, and Spencers.
Rockport was a farming community. In the early 1900s, truck farming was a way of life. More often than not, produce grown and poultry raised in Rockport were taken to the West Side Market for sale.
Rocky River incorporated as a village in May 1903; of which this area was a part. In 1910, a petition was sent to the state of Ohio to rename this area. Those living in the “Fairview/ Parkview” area wanted to break away from Rocky River and form their own community. On April 6, 1910 Goldwood Township was established. Within the year, 75 families petitioned to launch a new village. On September 10, 1910, Fairview Village received it’s official charter. The advent of Fairview Village divided Goldwood Township. The part along Center Ridge Road was absorbed into Rocky River ca. 1926. The southern section later incorporated on April 28, 1925 as Parkview Village.
In 1948, Fairview residents were urged by Mayor Bohlken to write the Federal Government for a post office. They found out that our name needed to be changed because a Fairview, Ohio already existed. To comply with postal regulations, voters chose to rename Fairview Village as the Village of Fairview Park. Our first post office opened in November 1949.
The Village of Fairview Park officially became the City of Fairview Park on September 5, 1951. Parkview Village was annexed to Fairview Park on January 1, 1968 ands became the 5th Ward of the city.
Fairview Park celebrated its first 100 years in 2010. Residents should be proud of its long history and those who lived here.