Old Ewa Plantation Company (E.P.Co.)

-----------------=====----------Before Reading----------=====-----------------

    You may go to the bottom of the page for information about this site.  You can also search for the color codes for the interviews to understand why things are highlighted there... For some other things typed out, there is not really any color code used.  But it still might work.  

    If you are going to the interviews, just to let you know, it was not typed word - for - word.  

    You may also go to the bottom for checking the credits... Do you do that?  Please also check the movie.  

    There will also be weird things added in the way.  Mean things may appear at the end.  Warnings may come by with a weird comment.  

    The bottom of this page just has extra information you may read.  YOU NEED TO HIGHLIGHT IT TO READ IT!  Well, not really.  Try it: Keep that in mind!  I don't know if this will work for other computers.  

    Don't be mean to this site just because it only talks about Ewa community and not some other community.  It's the main reason why this is made.  

You don't have to read the whole thing right away.  Do it like any other website - take your time.  Try to remember the same warnings - you'll need it.  

    So now you may start reading (If you want)!  ENJOY!  You'll need it!  

Ewa's history can be a mystery, but digging through this will reveal everything!  Well, not "EVERYTHING" actually.  

    3 people named, "James Campbell, Dillingham, and Castle" decided to create a sugar cane company with the empty land they had.  The company was called, "Ewa Plantation Company (E.P.Co.)".  
    They had 3 managers: Mr. W.J. Lowie, who started the work-in-progress on Jan. 6, 1890.  Another was Mr. Geo F. Renton, who successfully managed property until the end of 1920.  The last was his son, Geo. F. Renton Jr., who was the present manager.  
    Problems occurred in the company.  A bug scientifically named, "Leaf Cane Hopper"  kept eating all of the sugar cane, not letting the company produce more sugar cane for the next harvesting time.  So they brought frogs to eat the pests - that led into another problem: the frogs were over populating!  They made a machine to extract the sugar cane's juice.  It worked, but it was getting  junk.  The BIGGEST problem that occurred to the company was that the people who would take their sugar cane WOULDN'T take it!  The company started losing money because no one would take the delicious juice and precious tons of sugar cane!  
    All of these problems created a BIG mess.  But soon, the problems were gone.  Overall, the company successfully made at least 39,672 tons of sugar cane through 1822 to 1922!!!  
    Ewa's history was a great mystery, and it has created our AWESOME present... THE
                                                                                                                             D... YAY!!!!!!!For now... I guess.  Go ahead and pass through the castle gates and keep reading. 
    Graph: What might of happened in the company (NOT THE REAL THING).  Top: Sugar cane factories and a pack of sugar cane.  
SUGAR CANE SUCCESS! $ Money $ $ Money $ $ Money $ $ Money $ $ Money $ $ Money $      Interviewing Miss. Charlene Richardson ( Ashley G.'s grandmother)
This is not word for word, I repeat, NOT WORD FOR WORD (For all interviews)!!!  Check the bottom for color code.  
"How old are you?" A student asked. 

"I'm 63 years old as of April 25th." Charlene answered.  
    Charlene first said, "Fernandez village, Tenny village, Renton village, Sea village, and Mill village.  They're all surrounding where the manager's mansion that stands right now.  The only village that was built by the plantation employees was Verona village, that was also called Banana Camp." She added while some students slightly laughed.  "It was given the name Varona because the man who represented the Phillipines in immigrants to work on the plantation was named Mr. Varona.  He saw that the people were living in shabby homes.  So then it was rebuilt in 1958 and 1959.  Fernandez village was also rebuilt in 1958 for it was a  VERY small community.   
    I grew up in Fernandez village.  I was born in the old Ewa hospital.  At that time,  there was no plumbing, so there were no flush toilets - but there was an Outhouse.  You had to go outside to use the bathroom/outhouse.  They also had a Community Bathhouse - one for woman, one for men.  We had to go to the community bathhouse to take a bath before going home and sleep.  Everyone had an outhouse.  It was called a outhouse because you had to go outside to use the bathroom.  That was the way it worked." 

    "Was there any storms?" A student asked. 

    "Yes, there was storms." Charlene answered.  "There was some storms and floodings-but also a Korean family, named Lees.  they would come and clean out all the junk
from the outhouse(s).  In every house had a back road-it was a sevice road.  We would take all of our leftover food, place it in cans, and then give it to the pigman.  The pigman would take it and feed it to his pigs.  People would take thier leftovers that they didn't want to eat into the pigman's truck.  He would cook it so it would be safe to feed it to his pigs.  Every Chrismas, the pigman would give to everyone a cooked ham as a thank you for providing food for his pigs. 
     No one had fences because no one owed their homes.  Everybody's was owned by the plantation, so we would all run into each other's yard!  Everybody knew each other and you weren't able to do naughty things.  Otherwise, they would call your parents."
    "What about the pesticide?" A student asked. 

    "The D.D.T. trucks- in those years you didn't have the environmental protection agency or OHSA.  We thought it was a cloud from heaven!" Charlene laughed.  "We would run after the mosquito man while he was killing mosquitos.  There were many pest problem.  Lice was a problem.  Sanitation problem because it was an old community.  They did these things to counter and reduce the population of these things.  It was fun, we didn't know it was bad.  My parents did the same thing when I was young.
    We children were confined to the home or school and play games on the street.  We played softball and baseball.  But we had some weird games like too big too bigg.  Big squares and run on the street, we make a big circle through the squares and try not to get tagged.  It was a fun game.  
    We played jacks.  My mom was a good jacks player!  On May Day, everyone from Ewa school went to the gym.  We had a field day, we had leg races, wheelbarrel races, relays the whole entire school.  The plantation took care of its community and we never had to worry - the plantation took care of the food.  
    On Christmas they would have a Christmas session for us.  The plantation gave us gifts, fruits, and candy!  The sugar plantation was so generous to us.  That's why we worked as one unit, we never worked seperate; we always worked together.  
    The gym was built because of the funds made from the Ewa carnival.  The Ewa carnival was this HUGE project!  The moneys that came from the Ewa carnival helped to put up the swimming pool and the bowling alley.  The carnival was such a huge effort it was the biggest carnival of the island.  People came from all over.  Once the gym was up, there were dances and live bands.  Even the globetrotters performed in the gym.  It was a popular site because it was attatched to barbers point - a lot of military people came to attend the dances.   Where the friendship bible school is there was a theater and they provided movies on weekend.  At Fernandez village they had real life drama on weekends,  they built a stage and reenacted plays and created dramas.  It was a nice place to live because everyone worked together.  There were so much to do!  
    Lincoln day - we used to have a speech contest I won a contest one year!  Lincoln was something we looked up to because we were the only school that celebrated president's day - we felt kind of special.
    Memories of school and I'm still in touch with of  my classmates.  Teachers at Ewa were fantastic!  We had teacher colleges so we were able to lure young teachers from college.  Education was instilled in our minds.  Barbers point didn't come up until 1954, Ewa beach elementary didn't come up until 1959.  Iroqious point came up later so we had a lot of military students.  It was a lot of military and local students.  We may have been rural schools, but the population wasn't rural.  There were many mixed kids form different areas since the military didn't have schools yet.  
    When they first brought immigrants into plantations, they kept us separated.  They kept the Japanese, filipinos in separate places because they didn't want us to talk.  Only because they wanted everyone to work as hard as they could. But what happens when you put them all in a school together, race doesn't exist.  You all learn and work together.  You become a human being that share the same experiences, you become friends.  We all attend to each others cultural things like bon dance and procession we shared in each others culture, it became one culture.  Everyone worked together - it wasn't a race carnival.  It became an Ewa culture.  We all became one culture - the Ewa culture.  That is why the carnival worked so well it wasn't a Japanese, haole or filipino carnival. It was the ewa carnival." 

End - of - interview... (1st)!  

History of Bango Tags
    Bango Tags... the thing used long time ago.  The "old bank account"...
"Bango" means, "number" in Japanese.  Why this was made?  The managers needed a way to keep the money earned safe and there were too many people, with different and confusing names.  So it was hard for the managers to know everyone's name. 
    Bango Tags were a numbering system used for keeping money and for managers to identify names.  Bango tags are like a social security number - just that it's tags, not electronics.  It's made of metal and it's alike to dog tags, but only the identifying part. 
    In Bango tags,  females gained lesser amount of money (To be more accurate, about half) than males. Not so fair being a female, isn't it?  Well, that's how it worked.  Bango tags would look different if the person who owned it was in a different culture.  For example,  filipino Bango tags are shaped like a square.  People of different culture were paid different amounts of cash.  "THAT" was what drew everyone (in class J-104 and the workers who found out) off.  They weren't allowed to work together - only if they were from the same culture.  So they could keep the "money paying scam" a secret (but mainly so they couldn't talk).  Although, everyone worked as a community, RIGHT? Or am I wrong?  Since Bango tags would be holding all of the money, you could just go shopping at the Ewa shopping basket to buy things with it. 
That's about it for the "old style" bank account.  Now, to the next intervi
ew!  (Dramatic music) 
Do you like interviews?  Getting interviewed?  Reading interviews?  Well, here's the next one. 
Interviewing Miss. Lorna Pico (Interviewed by "Leina G." & "Laurazya L.")
Warning: The people asking the questions may be in the wrong order!!!  I mean by that, the wrong person asking the wrong question!
    "Did you attend Ewa School?" Leina asked. 

    "I did attend Ewa School" Lorna replied. 

    "What was Ewa School like when you attended?" Laurazya asked.  

    "Ewa school had a lot of old buildings." Lorna answered.  "They had the main office and the health room on the opposite end.  They had wings that went out so classrooms were on the left and right and the back of the office.  They also had a large aduitorium in the back.  We had a cooking kitchen, where you could smell the food.  We had a Lincoln day program when I was at school - but the school looked different at that time since the office and the Lincoln statue was farther back, so we could preform on the grass, while the parents could sit on the grass instead of standing in the parking lot. 
    "Tell us about your childhood.  What do you remember about your childhood?" Leina asked.  
    "The one thing I remember as a child was the Ewa Carnival." Lorna happily said.  "It was sponcored by the plantation.  People came from all over the island.  It started off with the sky divers; parachuters would jump from these propeller planes and would do stunts in the air.  They would have colored smoke that would decorate the sky. We could here the plane coming be cause of it's loud propeller.  We would all run outside and yell, "Plane coming".  We would sit back and watch the sky show.  We had games & rides.  They would fill the swimming pool with fish and we would go fishing.  You could keep the fish you caught.  The food was ONO (good)." 
    "What did your parents do for a living while growing up?" Laurazya asked.  
"My dad was a sugar plantation worker." Lorna answered.  "From what I can remember, he worked in the lab.  Later on, he worked in the boiling house until he retired.  That room area was when the final processing of the sugar cane so the product was the raw brown sugar.  My mom was a picture bride.  My dad went back to the Phillipines to marry her.  She was a housewife because we had 8 brothers and sisters!  She took care of us.  She also caught catacism classes at the church." 

    "Is there a special memory about Ewa that you would like to share?" Leina asked. 

    "My special memory was Christmas time." Lorna happily replied.  "The Ewa sugar plantation used to take care of the workers and their families.  One of the things they used to do was this big Christmas program where the family would go to the gym and watch the program.  In the end, they would give goodie bags for all the children.  We would stand in line by age group and would get fruits, candy nuts, and a wraped present.  That was givin by the plantation.  They also had a Christmas parade where we had a moving sleigh so the reindeers would be running and the music would be coming from the loud speaker.  We could all hear the music playing, so we would all run out to the road and they would be throwing out candy to us!  That was my fondest memories. 
    "Where did you live?" Laurazya asked. 

    "I lived in varona village, which was also called banana camp." Lorna replied.  "It was the all the way at the end closest to the train station." 
    "What do people mean when they talk about ewa villages?Leina asked. 

    "In the old sugar plantation days, the community was divided into villages." Lorna replied.  "Each village was named after the nationality that lived there.  Fernandez village was called Filipino camp.  Tenny village was Japanese camp, so we had a Korean camp and Haole camp.  We also had other villages like Sea village, Upper village and others divided into little camps."
    "What did you do on weekends?" Laurazya asked. 

    "We used to play in the park of Banana camp." Lorna answered.  "We had full equipment like swings, slides and merry-go-rounds.  We also used to play games like marbles, jacks, jump rope and hopscotch.  We flew kites, fishing and crabbing.  For fishing, we used to go to sand track.  You know where Ko'olina is now?  That was where it was.  You had to have a key to go in.  They had plenty of fish there, but you had to bring your own resouces.  In other words, there were no bathrooms, no water, no toilets - even no electricity!  You needed your own water and food in a cooler. You had to take a bath in the ocean.  When you had to use the bathroom, we would go in the canefields to do that.  It was really fun to camp out the whole weekend."
    "What places are special to you?" Leina asked.  

    "Landmark?  Ewa was known for all the churches." Lorna answered.  "We have so many churches in Ewa.  Immaculate conception is my church I got married there, my communion, baptized, confirmation.  That church and Ewa Hongwaji, they used to share movies on the weekend at one of the churches on a big screen.  They had the shopping basket which was a grocery store in Ewa.  It had all kinds of things there from cloths to toys to food.  They had "Dongs store" which was a different kind of store, there was a Saimin stand that I used to go to to buy all my candies there." 

End - of - interview... (2nd)!  

Did you actually read the whole 2nd interview?  I find that CRAZY (if you did).  Well if your not tired of reading these constant run of interviews, here's the next one...  

Interviewing Mrs. Frances Kikuchi (Interviewed by "Shai S." & "Jaesia G.")

    "What was Ewa school like while growing up?" Shai asked.  

    "Ewa school at that time had kindergarden to 9th grade" Frances first said.  "We had an auditorium that looked like a stadium.  We had plays on the stage.  I used to think that my teachers were really old like if they were in the 70s.  But I was really young so they looked old.  The teachers were very nice.  A lot of the students were close to their teachers.  One time, my 2nd grade class... I used to hate spinach and one day we brought back our lunch to class.  It bothered her that we weren't eating our vegetables.  At that time, it was spinach.  We hated spinach, but she poured something special on my spinach that was so good.  After that, I loved spinach.  These are things that are nice.  
    I remembered that Catholic school student who had catacism.  They left school half a day and the rest of the students had a catch up day or play day - we had volleyball and basketball.  Most of the kids were Catholic and went to the Catholic school next to our school.  It was every Wednesday and I looked forward to that.  
    Classes were the same, but buildings were older.  There was C building, I building and D building.  Those were the original classes.  All the other classes were not there.  Even the Lincoln statue was further out towards the parking lot." 

    "Tell us about your childhood." Jaesia asked.  

    "We made up our own games." Frances answered.  "We also played Tetherball.  My father cemented a pole in a tire and I loved playing tetherball on that.  The boys in our area used to be nice to me because they wanted to play tetherball.  
    There used to be a gym, but it's not there anymore.  There was an old bowling ally, baseball field, track, and a tavern; restaurant.  Everyone hung out at the gym, we met our friends at the gym.  There was a merry-go-round, it wasn't a kiddie one, but a big one.  We had everything at the gym.  My childhood revolved around the gym.  I hung out at the gym a lot." 

    "Do you remember what Ewa community was like when there was a plantation?" Shai questioned.  

    "We always had an Ewa carnival." Frances replied.  "It was always during Labor day weekend in September.  When school started after labor day, that was our special thing.  It was a very big carnival for us.  We had E.K. Fernandez rides.  It was so fun they emptied the swimming pool and put it in Tilapia.  People paid scripts to catch the tilapia with their bamboo fishing nets.  They also gave away a second hand car.  You had a chance to win the car - that was exciting for most people." 
    "Tell me what was it like during those days." Jaesia asked. 

    "Good memeories." Frances answered.  "That time that I lived, everyone trusted each other.  We locked our houses, but we always left our keys where everyone can see it.  One day, I asked my mom, "Why do we lock our home" and she said that everyone locked their homes.  But it was a skeleton key, a key that could open everyone's house. 
    Every weekend, we had a theater.  They showed old Japanese samurai films.  It was free and started at 6:30 or 7.  One man operated the project in a bunker.  It was a projector in a bunker.  It was a projection room people could bring food, then they lay out their goza or mats and sat on the grass.  If you didn't have snacks, you could go cross the street to buy snacks.  I sat on the grass with my family and watched the movie.  When I was tired, even at 10 years old, I used to walk home by myself.  I felt safe.  I could go in my house and take the key from the door and sleep.  It was safe time and I wasn't scared.  My parents wasn't afraid that I walked home by myself. 
    It was a close knit community.  All the families knew each other and trusted each other."
    "What did you do on weekends?" Shai asked. 

    "hung out at the gym." Frances replied.  "The gym was always open for anyone who wanted to come.  We could swim in the swimming pool, but some days it was closed.  We just met our friends at the gym. There were no vidio games.  If we didn't have it, we didn't miss it.  We played jacks and tether ball.  I didn't feel like I needed to play anything else.  The small games fulfilled me and I didn't need computers or electronics."
    "What kind of games did you play?" Jaesia asked. 

    "I used to go to my cousin's house to play Monoply." Frances answered.  "Hanafuda, a Japanese game that I played with my parents.  I would challenge my mom and dad in this card game."
    "What did your parents do?" Shai asked

    "My dad was a mechanic for the Ewa plantation." Frances answered.  "He worked on trucks and trucks at the plantation garage.  He worked at the rock quarry.  He also had another part time job at Texaco.  He worked on cars on all of his jobs and 2 part time jobs.  He worked his way up to a jouney man.  His position was a Journey man auto-mechanic. 
    My mom was a stay-at-home mom.  When I was younger, she stayed at home, but when I got older, she baby sited and had a part time job as a baby sitter. She also cleaned the apartments.  She worked in a drive in cutting vegetables in the kitchen. 
    "Where were you born?" Jaesia asked. 

    "Ewa hospital, there used to be an old ewa hospital." Frances replied.  "I lived in Tenny village, but I walked all the way from Tenny village to Ewa school.  My dad would wait at his job to see if I'm safe.  I would see my dad and he would wave to me.  That was the difference long ago.  Most students walked to school.  No one had buses to take us to school or parents wouldn't bring us to school."
    "Life was very simple in Ewa, and it was satisfying and comforterable." Frances finalized. 
End - of - interview... (3rd)!  

Interviewing Mrs. Cabebe 

    "Did you chew on sugar cane for a test?" A student asked.  

    "There was an experiment to see what the sugar cane content would do to your teeth." Mrs. Cabebe first stated.  "It made your teeth better.  I am not past 80 years old and I never had tooth decay or fillings, but I have this gap between my teeth.  We used to go in the canefields to chew on the burnt sugar cane because it was very sweet.  We can't swallow the sugar cane, but we can chew on it.  We would enjoy the juice.  
    I remember when they used to burn the sugar canes.  It was a controlled fire, but the smell of burning cane was everywhere.  Back in the 30's, there weren't any clothes dryers and when we would hang out our clothes on the clothes line, we had to gather all of our clothes and bring them in the house because all the soot from the burning cane would dirty our cloths if we didn't.  
    After they burn the sugar cane, the turn haulers would gather the cane.  But they didn't take all, so us kids could take what's leftover.  The cane doesn't melt, it's burt and taken to the mill for processing.  To start the field again, they would have to start from seed again.  
    We used to travel by train or truck to get to places.  
    Cane knives were used to cut the cane.  It wasn't a regular knife.  The knife had a hook at the end of the blade that helped take the cane off the ground.  The was wide.  The sugar cane was not really fat, it was skinny.  
    The kids today buy their own toys, but in our time, we had to make our toys.  We made our toys out of matchboxes.  For our glue, we used the sap from the sticky tree - kind of like keawe.  There wasn't a store that sold toys.  When there was a tin can, we would grab it.  We would put the glue on the can and use that to play and walk with.  
    For bubbles, we used to steal the bar soap from our mom's laundry and make suds out of our hand with soap and get get the stem of a Papaya tree.  We could start blowing bubbles from there.  
    Our mothers did a lot of sewing with the empty spool, used it as a necklace and the milk bottle caps were used to play with (Pogs).  We were kids who lived without toys, we made our own toys and it was okay.  It was a hard time, but fun at the same time.  We walked all the time since there weren't any cars.  We would walk everywhere as children.  
    The bango... they didn't go by name, but by number.  We keep our own bango for life.  Today, it may be a collectable.
    We used to eat mostly vegetables.  There weren't too many meat.  Our parents didn't buy a lot of meat - just vegetables.  Some times we had chicken.  People raised chickens and grew their own gardens.  

End - of - interview... (4th)!  

Did you actually think this is the end?  Just to let you know, there's also a 6th interview.  Hope you SURVIVE! (Dramatic music)

Interviewing Mr. Stanley Tamashiro (Ewa Elementary School's Principal)

Warning: No one really asked a question, so it's not really an interview.  

    "Right behind D building is where they used to have sugar cane." Stanley first said.  "Right across the street, where Lincoln village used to be a cane field.  If you notice in front of the school, there is an open field.  That used to be a cane field too.  Everywhere was a cane field.  That was how close to the school sugar cane fields were.  
    By the shopping basket, next to the wheel was a crane and a machine.  The cuttings would go into the machine and into the ground.  That was the seed planter.  
    In Campbell high school's Alma Mater, there is the word, "tassel".  The tassel in there Alma Mater is referring to the sugar cane tassel.  
    In 1939, they used to use trucks to plow the trains from the field.  They brought the cane to the green wall.  Prior to 1939, they used trains that brought the cane to the mill.  My great grandfather used to be part of the crew that would get the cane, walk up stairs and load the canes in the train.  Long ago, they had to carry it to the trains because there weren't any cars.  
    When my grandfather passed away, my dad had to work because my dad had to support the family.  Children had to work - it was something different from what children experienced.  Back in the day, children worked to support their family." 

End - of - interview... (5th)!  

That was easy wasn't it? Wait a minute... HELLO?  ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?!  I hope you are, because there's a 8th interview also.  ENJOY... If you can!  8 interviews total!!!

Interviewing Mrs. Niino

    "The history of Ewa this portion of the island was dry." Mrs. Niino stated.  "It was only coral and keawe.  The plantation was the one who came by and cultivate the land.  The beginnings of Ewa was nothing (but coral and keawe).  To think that the plantation cultivated a land of coral to something that would be flourishing.  But because Hawaii didn't have enough workers, they had to get people from different parts of the world to work on the plantation.  
    My mother was a picture bride - a bride who came to answer the pictures that were sent to those who were living in Japan.  The young ladies that wanted to come to a new country were excited to choose a husband from another place.  The young ladies in Japan picked their husbands through the photos thinking that the man in the photo was a young handsome man.  The men would exchange pictures or use somebody else's photos because most of them were really old and wanted a young bride.  The picture brides came to the country, but had to go through so much to come.  To think of if you had to pick a picture to choose your husband that you haven't seen.  With only writing letters as correspondence.  But when you saw the man, some of them wanted to turn around and go back.  But to go back the number of days on the ship with no money was a tough decision.  Can you imagine why men wanted a young bride?  They wanted someone to help them cook - men went to the kitchen and pay for their own food.  
    I recall my father saying that he couldn't go to work because he couldn't see - he couldn't stay home because he needed the money.  The only way he could see was to look up, but when he talked to the women that was running the kitchen, she made him an egg for breakfast.  That morning, he could see!  He could see the railroad track.  He felt that egg was so wonderful.  To this day, he couldn't forget and said that when you feel bad, "eat an egg".  So eat an egg, and it will cure you - because it was so healthy!  I try to tell my children, but now they only laugh.  It was so interesting to hear such hardships that people went through.  

End - of - interview... (6th)!  

It's only a few more interviews! Besides, its short.  CAN YOU STAND IT?!  
Interviewing Laura Marquet (Interviewed by "Liana N." & "Gavin W.")

    "Did you attend Ewa School?" Liana asked.  

    "I attended Ewa from preschool to 6th grade." Laura answered.  "Ewa has been not like Ewa now.  There are a lot more buildings.  The administration building now was a big grassy area.  In the back was an auditorium where we had plays and performances in stages.  We also had a cafeteria that was very old and some class rooms in J building were old too.  There was a lot of open fields to play and not much tests like today.  There weren't much students there either.  

    "Tell us about your childhood." Gavin asked.  

    "I grew up in a plantation camp called Korean camp." Laura replied.  "I lived there until age 6.  In that camp, we had a community bath house where everyone shared bath tubs.  There were 2 baths.  Everyone had to share the baths with only 2.  We didn't have video games, so we mostly played outside.  We ride our bikes, play with our sticks and pretend if it was swords to go sword fighting.  There were sugar cane fields.  So whenever they harvested the sugar cane, they would burn the cane first, then harvest it.  There was just dirt after that, and we would play there.  It was a lot of fun.  Or we would sit and watch the cane truck pass by to haul the sugar cane to the mill.  Then we would ride our bikes and watch the cane stalks go up the belt and get washed.  
    We had our own grocery store, gymnasium and pool.  What we always looked forward to was the Ewa carnival.   I was a little girl, and when I started at the carnival, I was 3 or 4 years old.  I remember that the plantation would hold it as a big event.  
    My dad worked on the sugar cane fields and he worked himself up from the fields to the laboratories.  He would check the quality of the sugar.  My mom stayed home with us until I was 6 years old.  Then she went to work as a sales clerk at Ewa pharmacy in Ewa beach.  
    The best thing I remember is that we had a lot of friends because it was a plantation community.  We knew a lot of families.  We were very close.  We would ride at night without worrying anyone someone is going to hurt us.  It was fun times, we also had the gym to go to.  We had summer fun and used the pool.  I would always look forward to the carnival." 

End - of - interview... (7th)!  

(Holy Music playing) You finally made it to the LAST interview!  But I'm pretty sure your not here.  If you are, HOW DID YOU SURVIVE?!  

Interviewing Mr. Bise

    "There are many different types of sugar cane." Mr. Bise explained.  "The real cane we used to use on the plantation used to have notches farther apart.  They never planted canes that had closer notches.  The sugar cane we planted on the field in Ewa was called 109.  Everything in Ewa was sugar cane - it was growing all over the place.  Everything was sugar cane only.  The sugar cane had a flower, called a tassel.  You can't do anything with the tassel.  But when the flower of the sugar cane dries up about 2 years later, they would harvest the cane.  They burn the cane to get rid of the dangerous leaves.  After they burn the leaves, the workers cut the cane stalk and plant them back at the fields.  
    In the old days, they used to harvest with their hands.  About 2,000 people lived in Ewa at that time and every time they would harvest, they would use their hands.  Mr. Tamashiro's father and grandfather used to harvest and load the cane onto the field.  There weren't any machines to help except a steam plow to plow the land.  In the 1930's, they began to use machinery.  
    I worked for the Ilwu union and I used to go to Elementary school and High school.  I am 92 years old, so my voice is hard to understand.  When I was younger, I used to go to schools and tell them about Labor history.  Back in 1940's, white people were the bosses in the plantation.  Originally before the war, people from Japan, Korea, Phillipines, Okinawa, and China were all different nationalities came and were recruited.  But when they arrived at the plantation, the people with different races were separated.  That is why we have all of the different villages - the people were segregated.  The Japanese were in one village and the Chinese were in another village.  They separated them because they didn't want the workers to talk to each other.  Each of the different groups of people were paid differently and the plantation didn't want the different people talking to each other to find out how much each group was earning.  This is how the plantation used to be before the war.  
    After the war, they mixed together.  Now you don't see different nationalities segregated.  We are now mixed.  In the old days, we were all separated.  
    The first thing you want is to work for the plantation.  You apply for a job at the office.  Then you get a bango tag with a number on it.  My bango number was 3216.  Everyone who worked on the plantation used to have a bango number.  That is how they pay you.  You have to show your bango.  At the store, the plantation owned the store, so you also had to show your bango number.  
    When I was 13 years old, we used to go out into the field and cut weeds in the field.  To go to work to different fields, you had to ride the train down there.  We used to work from 6 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon.  10 hours a day.  We used to get paid at that time 65 cents a day.  Can you imagine?  65 cents a day.  After I graduated 8th grade, my dad couldn't afford to pay $5 to ride the train to go to Intermediate and High school, so most people in the plantation didn't go to school.  That was the only way to go to high school - on the train to Honolulu.  So we stayed on the field rather than going to school.  That is all we had in the plantation.  Every month, I used to work about 22 days, so I used to get only $5 a month.  I f you were married, that was all you had.  We didn't have welfare time, we had to survive.  We didn't have radio or TV.  We had to play our own games.  We used to play hide and seek.  
    At 11 years old, I worked during the summer getting up at 4:30am., starting at 6:00am. to work.  The money I earned didn't go to me.  It went to the family.  Workers at that time, children used to worked to support thier family.  The plantation hired the children to help their families.  That was how the plantation helped the families.  The plantation hired the children only during the summer.  That is how the plantation took care of the community.  Just to help the families, they hired summer workers.  The children gave their money to the family after working.  At 14, instead of going to school, I worked full time at the plantation." 

End - of - interview... LAST!  


Interview color code (in my opinion)
Light Green=Fun/Funny
Sky blue=Person speaking

Skill!Xx.oO0Oo.xX -CREDITS- Xx.oO0Oo.xXSkill!

Editer & Creater of the website                                                                                                                                     

Elijah Jan T. Banasihan                                                                                                                                                

                                                                                                                                                      Interviewed adults

                                                         If you are reading this, then your really skilled.    Mrs. Charlene Richardson

                                                                                                                                                          Mrs. Lorna Pico

                                                                                                                                                 Mrs. Frances Kikuchi

                                                                                                                                                                Mrs. Cabebe

                                                                                                                                               Mr. Stanley Tamashiro

                                                                                                                                                                   Mrs. Niino

                                                                                                                                                    Mrs. Laura Marquet

                                                                                                                                                                       Mr. Bise
                                                                             Special Thanks                                                                                                                                       
                                                                    Miss. Stacey George and all adults!                                                                  

                                                                                Interviewers too.                                                                          


Leina G.                                                                                                                                                                        

Jaeshia G.                                                                                                                                                                      

Laurazya L.                                                                                                                                                                    

Liana N.                                                                                                                                                                       

Shai S.                                                                                                                                                                         

Gavin W.                                                                                                                                                                     

                                        Ewa Plantation company (E.P.Co.)was the first to plant sugar cane.                               

                                            Sugar cane can't be swallowed because of the tough fiber.                                          

                                        Chewing on sugar cane make your teeth stronger!  Only chew.                                      


                                            They had at least more than 100 acres of sugar cane fields!                                         

                    The green wall tells the history of this community.  It's also where sugar cane was drop.                  

                                        Sorry if I made mistakes, but I'm only 10 years old (2012) OKAY?!