A History of Charlbury

A History of Charlbury


by Lois Hey



With a study of the town’s geology by Professor Geoffrey Walton




The history of the Cotswold town of Charlbury, from pre-history to the present day.

Illustrated with many historical photographs from local collections.

Contents
  • From earliest days
  • The Manor of Charlbury and Eynsham Abbey
  • The Lees of Ditchley as Lords of the Manor of Charlbury (1590–1776)
  • The President and Scholars of St John the Baptist College, Oxford, resume the Lordship of the Manor (1776–1857)
  • The owners of Cornbury as Lords of the Manor (since 1857)
  • Schools, dissenters, gloving, pubs (available below as a free download)
  • A new century
  • Bibliography
  • A geological view of the history of Charlbury, by Professor Geoffrey Walton
  • Index

£8.99 pbk 144pp with numerous black-and-white photographs
The Wychwood Press, 1999

978-1-902279-03-9





Right: illustrations from the book

A painting c.1805 of the view down Church Street
Shops in Church Street
The Corner House with the camera still in place
The Kibble fountain with the lantern still in place
The Spendlove School (now demolished)
Ċ
Jon Carpenter,
15 Nov 2009, 11:28