- Ethiopia with a population of over 99 million is one of the poorest countries in the world.
- According to the World Bank, if all adults achieved a fourth grade level education, poverty in Ethiopia would be reduced by 18%.
- Ethiopia has made major strides in enrolling school age children into school. At the present time it is estimated that 95% of children start first grade by the age of 7 years. However, the children once enrolled are poorly prepared to learn. 25% of children drop out by the end of the first grade, and over 50% by the end of the fourth grade.
- We believe that in partnership with the Education Bureau of Addis Ababa we have created one of the finest Wrap Around Pre-School programs in the emerging world. As a result, the children will acquire the tools necessary to succeed in school.
- ESRI began operations in October 2007 with 80 students. There are now more than 11,500 children in our program in 52 schools throughout the City of Addis Ababa.
- The School Readiness Initiative (SRI), our licensed NGO affiliate in Addis Ababa, is a partner of the Bureau of Education of Addis Ababa in this pre-school project. As a result, for the first time, the children of Addis Ababa have free access to a comprehensive pre-school program which provides the tools required to learn to succeed in school.