Realidades Text is available online. Click here for instructions to gain access to the book. You will need to be logged into your FL gmail account in order to access the document.
Please make sure your child is checking the website, specifically "calendario" when he/she is absent. They will feel better prepared for class when they return and will be able to stay on top of their work when they are absent.
If your child struggles, he/she should be working on something Spanish EVERY NIGHT. It could be as simple as re-writing the vocabulary words we are working on, downloading additional handouts or re-doing worksheets we've already done, working extra online, make flashcards, re-write the notes, and listen to the song on the youtube.
Don't wait until it's too late! It is important that you check your grade online frequently, as I update the online grade book weekly.
*Peer tutoring is offered on Mondays in the HS Media Center 2:30-3:30 pm.
Dear Parent or Guardian,
¡Hola! and ¡Bienvenidos a la clase de español! I am Profesora Butler and I will be your child’s Spanish 1 teacher over the next semester. Parents play a crucial role in a child’s success in school and in my class, even if you may not know Spanish. Here are some ways you can help your child be successful:
- Have your child tell you three-five new words from Spanish class each day.
- Ask about his/her homework. Even if I have not assigned something, s/he could be re-writing notes, saying vocabulary out loud, practice flashcards, going to the textbook website for additional resources, etc.
- Ask to see the monthly “calendario” (calendar) for big assignments, tests, quizzes, etc. à located on my website & in their binders.
- Encourage your child to be proactive in obtaining missed work & coming in for help.
- Enjoy Spanish-speaking television shows, movies, and music. Did you know that many DVD’s now have a Spanish language track?
- Please check the online grade book and class website at least weekly. There is a section for comments & this will be my main mode of communication with you!
- Check the website monthly calendar, test re-take policy, study abroad opportunities, and college entrance requirements regarding world language.
One of the most critical reasons the class is taught mainly in Spanish is because the students need to have access to the language. If they only have a small amount of time to be in Spanish class, it is important for them to spend the greatest amount of time possible hearing, seeing, and negotiating meaning in the target language. It has been shown that even if students do not understand every word they will be slowly piecing together what they do know and problem solving. I will be helping them make meaning of the language through gestures, visuals, a slower rate of speech and repetition. If I am able to hold students to the expectations of staying in the target language, they will begin to expect it and be more comfortable in the long run. It is important to see this as a process that happens over time and immediate results may not be obvious, but even in our first weeks together we will see significant gains in student understanding, and they will be tired because their brains will be working a lot!
Thank you for your time.
Finally, please read the class expectations with your son/
daughter. By signing this, you acknowledge that you need to check the
online grade book and realize that the comment section is my main mode of
communication with you. When you are
both finished, please sign it and return it to school. It is due
_____________________________! If you have questions, comments, or
concerns, please email me at email@example.com
(preferred method of contact). I
will return your message as soon as possible.
Test Retake Policy
Students who earn less than 70% on a test may retake the test. These are the guidelines:
· You must have less than 70% to qualify
· You will retake the same test
· You cannot earn more than 70% (i.e., even if you get 100% on the retake, it’s only worth 70% in the grade book). You get the score of the re-take, even if it's lower.
· You have no more than 5 days to retake the test. --> each test re-take will have a due date.
· You must conference with me prior to re-taking the test & we will determine your proof of study. If you come in on your scheduled day to re-take the test without proof of study you will not be allowed to re-take the exam. You cannot re-take an exam without talking to me first.
· You must show me how you have studied to better prepare yourself (flashcards, re-write your notes, doing/re-doing pages in the core practice or grammar practice).
· You must retake the test on your own time. I am not available on Fridays before school.
· Song quizzes, take-home quizzes, oral exams & the final are exempt.
If you qualify and would like to re-take a test, talk to Profe. Butler, write the date of the exam on the Army calendar on the bulletin board & I'll see you on the date & time you choose. If you do not show up to re-take your test on your scheduled date, you will not have the opportunity to re-take it.
-Please have your child sign up with me.
-Why study a foreign language?
-Using technology, what are some easy ways to experience the foreign language and culture without leaving the student’s own home town?
-How has the foreign culture influenced American society and vice versa?
-What are the similarities and differences between Spanish language vocabulary and English vocabulary?
-What are the similarities and differences between Spanish language grammar and English grammar?
-What are the similarities and differences between the Hispanic cultures and the American culture?
-What ways can I find to practice the foreign language beyond my high school experiences?
-How can Spanish benefit me as a future student and citizen?
-How should I consider using Spanish at the university level and beyond?