Pennsylvania State University
Engineering Science and Mechanics Graduate Student Council
Honesty, Integrity, and Community
WE ARE PENN STATE
The purpose of the ESMGSC is to enhance the academic and social experience of graduate students within the department of Engineering Science and Mechanics (ESM).
Auxiliary goals include:
- Operate and maintain at the highest levels of honesty, integrity, community and moral values.
- Promote the ESM Department
- Solicit and implement recommendations from ESM graduate students.
- Organize ESM today; an annual graduate research symposium for research
within to student in ESM department.
- Recruit graduate students to the ESM department.
- The purpose of the ESMGSC is to enhance the academic and social experience of graduate students within the department of Engineering Science and Mechanics (ESM).
- Auxiliary goals include:
- Solicit and implement recommendations from ESM graduate students.
- Organize ESM today; an annual graduate research symposium for research within to student in ESM department.
- Promote and recruit graduate students to the ESM department.
- At all times, the majority (50%+1) of all active members shall be full-time, graduate students within the ESM department.
- The membership shall be divided into active and associate members.
- Only currently registered students are eligible for active membership.
- All others interested in furthering the purpose of ESMGSC, including but not limited to, faculty, staff, and community members, shall be associate members. Only active members may hold office, vote, preside, officiate, or solicit funds on behalf of ESMGSC.
- At all times there shall be at least 4 active student members for undergraduate or graduate organizations.
- The club reserves the right to expel a member who is not following the policies of the organization with a super majority vote (66%+1) of attending members - quorum is 3/4 of active members.
- In the case of violations of constitutional policies and/or a conflict between members within the organization the highest ranking officer that is not involved in the conflict, with the assistance from the advisor (if applicable), will facilitate an informal mediation procedure.
The mediator shall:
- Arrange for a mediation meeting outside of the regular organization business meeting.
- Explain their role as the impartial party and the objectives of the mediation.
- Set ground rules.
- Allow each party to express their views by allowing the conversation to go where the parties wish it to go.
- Collect any available resources that might assist in the resolution (financial documents, emails, photos, etc.).
- As a third party, do not suggest resolutions but rather leave the responsibility for the resolution with the parties involved.
- Facilitate goal setting to reach a win-win resolution.
- New Membership and Recruitment
- Any and all new members will be given full disclosure during recruitment, including but not limited to the disclosure of:
- New Membership Manual
- Schedule of New Member Events & Activities
- A list of responsibilites.
- A copy of the University Hazing Policy, prescribed by Policies and Rules for Student Organizations (This document will be available upon request by the Office of Student Activities.
- All members, including but not limited to new members and recruits, reserve the right to refrain from participating in any activities without consequence, based upon personal/religious beliefs, personal values, or moral reserve as defined by the member.
- Any and all interaction/activity between members and/or new members will be limited to guidelines stated by university policy, as well as local, state, and federal laws.
- Only part and full-time, officially registered active student members shall be eligible to serve as appointed or elected officers. Student organizations may establish and apply additional eligibility criteria for appointed or elected leaders/officers.
- The President is the spokesperson for the organization. The President presides at all meetings.
- The Vice-President shall serve as President when the President is unable to do so.
- The Treasurer shall be charged with handling all organizational finances.
- The Secretary shall record minutes of all meeting.
- The Vice-Secretary shall record minutes when the secretary in not present. The Vice-Secretary shall also announce meetings to all active members at least 1 week before their occurrence.
- The Outreach Director shall organize outreach activates.
- The Social Director shall organize social events.
- The Liaison to the Society of Engineering Science (SES) shall attend SES meetings and coordinate shared activates between ESMGSC and SES.
- Filling unexpired vacancies:
- Nominations are taken at the meeting following the vacancy. Elections also occur at this meeting.
- Election shall be adhere to section VI.C.
- Officers filling a vacancy shall serve for the remainder of the term of the previous office holder.
- ESMGSC will meet at least two times per semester.
- Adequate advance notice must be given to all active members.
- The President, with the consent of the Vice President, may change meeting frequency.
- Members shall be notified of all meetings by e-mail.
- The President may call special meetings should he/she see fit.
- Only active members may vote.
- Quorum for all voting shall be thirty-three percent (33%) of the active membership.
- A simple majority (50% +1) shall be necessary for all voting. This majority shall be derived from the active members present.
- All organizational funds are to be deposited and handled exclusively through the Associated Student Activities (ASA) in 240 HUB.
- This organization will not have an off-campus account(s).
- This organization shall collect dues that will not be excessive.
- The Treasurer, with the consent of the President will determine dues.
- Dues shall be collected semi-annually.
- The Officers of the ESMGSC may spend up to $50 of the organization's funds without the approval of the general membership.
- Nominations and elections shall take place during the final meeting of the spring semester.
- This meeting shall be publicized in the meetings preceding it.
- Elections codes:
- Any member may nominate an active member for any office by raising his/her hand at the appropriate time and being recognized by the presiding official. An open election, where active member cast votes by hand count, will be conducted with unanimous consent of all active members, else a secrete written election, where active members cast votes by written ballots for the candidate of their choice will be used. Any active member can request a secret, written election. Each active member shall have one and only one vote per office.
- If 50%+1 cannot be obtained, the candidate with the lowest number of votes shall be dropped from consideration, and the active members shall vote again.
- In the event of a tie for an office, the highest ranking member of ESMGSC who is not a candidate for the office shall cast the deciding vote.
- All officers serve for a term of one year, beginning in the month following elections and ending the month of elections.
- No one involved in conducting the elections may be an official candidate.
- Amendments to the Constitution
- Amendments to this constitution may be introduced by any active member at the conclusion of any meeting. Amendments must be sent to all active members via email or hardcopy within 24 hours of introduction. Voting shall occur at the meeting following the amendments introduction, with the amendment taking effect following Office of Student Activities approval.
- All amendments are subject to the approval of the Office of Student Activities.
- Parliamentary Authority
- The latest edition of Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, by Sarah Corbin Roberts shall be used in all cases not covered by this constitution.
- Accessibility of this Constitution
- Copies of this constitution shall be made available to anyone upon request.
- This organization must retain an advisor at all times. The advisor will be a full-time Faculty or Staff member of The Pennsylvania State University, University Park campus and will be chosen by the organization.
- This organization will choose an advisor through a majority vote.