Fighting the War
Global Warming is a serious problem that NEEDS to be stopped!
Just look at this graph to the right. Global Warming is a serious problem that needs to be stopped as soon as possible. On this page you will find scary, but good to know, information on the rise of Global Warming all around the World.
Facts about the rise of Global Warming:
- Over the last century the average temperature has climbed about 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.6 of a degree Celsius) around the world *
- The 10 hottest years on record have all occured within the last 14 years. We are talking about thousands of years on record and the 10 hottest have ALL occured within the last 14 years. **
- The atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and methane have increased by 31% and 149% respectively above pre-industrial levels since 1750. This is considerably higher than at any time during the last 650,000 years, the period for which reliable data has been extracted from ice cores ***
- The United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) projects that global temperatures will rise an additional 3 to10 degrees Fahrenheit (1.6 to 5.5 degrees Celsius) by century's end ****
This is a recent picture of a mountain in Montana's Glacier National Park. Today there are about 30 glaciers left the state park. Montana's Glacier National Park was created in 1910. When the park was created it has over 150 glaciers in it. This means that every year nearly 1.25 glaciers are disappearing from the state park.
For more photos on the effects and changes in the world due to Global Warming please visit the National Geographic Photo Gallery.
Global warming is one of the most serious challenges facing us today. To protect the health and economic well-being of the current and future generations, we must reduce our emissions of heat-trapping gases by using the technology, know-how, and practical solutions already at our disposal. *****
One of the biggest problems with slowing the growth of Global Warming is that not many people really understand how big this problem really is. We are constantly told by Weather Meteorologists that this excessive heating in the atmosphere is due to el ninos! Well, we have been experiencing el ninos off and on ever since the start of Earth. We cannot expect people to gain knowledge about Global Warming unless someone goes and tells them. Take the initiative and tell people about the growing problem of Global Warming. The future of the Earth may depend upon it.
* Global Warming Facts - National Geographic
** An Inconvenient Truth - Documentary on Global Warming
*** Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis - IPCC
**** Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
***** Union of Concerned Scientist - Global Warming Program