Areas and Questions to Consider
Coverage, and Relevance
- Who publishes this web page?
What makes the author(s) an authority on this subject?
Does the author(s) cite his/her experience/credentials?
they accredited or endoresed by a reputable organization?
If the site contains articles, do they contain footnotes? If so, does
material taken from other sources appear to be fully credited?
Bias and Accuracy
- Who is the intended audience -
general, specialized readership, scholars, etc.?
- What is
the level of the material - basic, advanced, etc.?
time period is covered?
- What geographical area is covered?
- Is this information a subset of a more comprehensive
source? If so, who abridged it and why?
Currency / Timeliness
- How is the information presented - fact, opinion, propaganda,
- If presented as fact, is it accurate?
there a bias - cultural, political, religious, etc.?
so, is the bias clearly stated?
- Is there a date on the web page? If so, how current is the date?
- How frequently is the web site updated?
some of the information obviously out of date?
- What was the quality of the research methodology?
Did it use accepted methodologies for its field, insofar as you know?
What is the validity?
- Is the article clearly written and
- Is new research being reported or is the
author reviewing previously conducted research?
- Does the
author agree or disagree with the majority iof other scholars in the
- Is this the first article of its kind within
- Is the
presenter selling something - a product, a philosophy, himself /
- Does the page have a corporate sponsor?
Are there any hidden costs?
- Do you have to enter personal
identification in order to proceed?
Aline Soules 2010
under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial
3.0 United States