e-books, online magazines, newspapers, journal articles,
government publications, etc.)
Areas and Questions to
Authority & Credibility
publishes the book or
- Who is the author(s) of the book or article?
makes the author(s) and authority on this subject?
- Does the
author(s) cite his / her experience / credentials?
- Does the book
or article contain footnotes? If so, does material taken from other
sources appear to be fully credited?
- Who is the intended audience - general, specialized
readership, scholars, etc.?
- What is sthe level of the material -
basic, advanced, etc.?
- Is the material appropriate and useful
for your purposes?
- What time period
- What geographical area is covered?
comprehensive and specific is the information?
Currency and Timeliness
- How is the information presented - fact, opinion,
- If presented as fact, is it accurate?
there a bias - cultural, political, religious, etc.?
- If so, is
the bias clearly stated?
recent is the book or article?
- How important is this to you and
/ or your topic?
- What was the
quality of the research methodology?
- Did it use accepted
methodologies for its field, insofar as you know?
- What is the
- Is the article clearly written and well-organized?
- How does the book or article fit into its
- Is new research being reported or is the
author reviewing previously conducted research?
- Does the author
agree or disagree with the majority of other scholars in the discipline?
this the first article of its kind within its discipline?
Aline Soules 2010
under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial
3.0 United States