John Dewey reminds us that "We do not learn from experience, but by reflecting on that experience." This video will invite you to think about:
- the various domains of learning that are possible for students in experiential learning classes;
- important phases in critical reflection;
- how to structure ongoing, comprehensive reflection across the multiple domains of student learning for the duration of a course.
Resources related to the video can be found below:
- Syllabus for UNIV 290 (used as an example in the video itself)
- Rubric for service-learning syllabi -- a great way to evaluate one's own syllabus for consistent reflective praxis
- Experiential Learning Course Reflection Matrix -- a worksheet to help instructors think through new or existing experiential learning courses as they are designing assignments and planning classes