Emmaus in 20th -21st centuries


The Dominican fathers L. H. Vincent and F. M. Abel from the French Ecole Biblique of Jerusalem excavate the northern and the southern Basilicas of Emmaus. A ceramic fragment found during this excavation testifies to the fact that the site was inhabited already during the Hasmonean period. Frs. Vincent and Abel advance the theory of a Roman villa existing prior to the Basilicas.

ca. 1932

The current house with battlements is built on the hill by the Fathers of Betarram, the chaplains of the Carmel of Bethlehem.


During World War II German citizens living in Palestine are interned in the house by British government.


After the Israeli War of Independence, Emmaus finds itself in the demilitarized zone between Jordan and Israel. A UN representation stays in the house.


The village of Amwas is destroyed during the Six-Days War


The Tel-Aviv University archaeologists excavate the Roman baths at Emmaus.


The house is rented by the French Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS).

Dec. 1993

The Catholic Community of the Beatitudes rents the house.


The Association “Friends of Emmaus-Nicopolis” is founded through the initiative of Karl-Heinz and Louisa Fleckenstein, the coordinators of Emmaus excavation project.


Archaeological excavations are led at Emmaus under direction of the Finnish archaeologist Mikko Louhivuori (Rockfeller Museum, Jerusalem) and the Franciscan Father Michele Picirillo. The buildings belonging to the church complex, numerous mosaics, the sepulchral zone, and the stone quarry are discovered.