1 Leek, stalk only sliced into 1/4 inch circular disks.
1/8 cup Cabbage, julienne.
Lemongrass Chili Reduction
3 inches Lemongrass, soft inner part minced.
1 tsp Chili powder (Thai if you can find it).
4 tbsp Rice wine vinegar.
the leek disks into a shallow bowl and cover with chicken stock. Allow
to sit, as the chicken stock will mellow out the leek's onion flavour.
- On medium heat add oil, chili pepper, lemongrass, and ginger. Stir
constantly until lemongrass becomes fragrant (about 5 minutes). Then add
the remainder of the reduction's ingredients except for the chicken
stock. Cover and allow to simmer on low for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring
- Put flour and pepper into a shallow bowl (or bag) and coat the leek
disks. Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add the leeks and cover
the pan. Fry the leeks for 2-3 minutes per side.
- While leeks are cooking remove the lid from the reduction. Add the
chicken stock and turn onto high heat. Reduce the liquid by the desired
amount. I add 1/4 tsp of corn starch to form a paste while the oil
- Place a piece of mango on each leek disk and drizzle lemongrass chili reduction. Garnish with the cabbage.
- The left over reduction (or a new batch) goes well as a dressing for a cabbage, sesame seed, and dried cranberry coleslaw.