2 Chicken breasts, cooked and thinly sliced (optional)
5-10 Quail's eggs, hard boiled
1/2 inch Leak (white part), minced
1 tsp Pepper (or more to taste)
1/8 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup Champagne berry vinegar
1 tsp Anise seeds, ground
- Mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to be served.
- Put the beets in
separate pots and cover with water (the candycane and golden beets can
go into the same pot). Add the chicken bullion to the water. Bring to a
boil and cook until beets pass the "fork test" (about 45-60mins). Pour
water out of pots and fill with cold water. Allow beets to cool.
- In a small pot add
quail's eggs and enough water to boil them in. Boil for 5 minutes then
remove from heat, allow to sit for 5 minutes, and then pour the water
out. Allow eggs to cool.
- Skin the beets. If
cooked properly you should be able to apply pressure using your thumbs
and the skin will come off easily. (The beets can be done ahead of time
- Peal the shells off of the quail's eggs and cut in half lengthwise.
- On medium heat,
heat olive oil (or butter) in two large pans. Place the different colour
beets in separate pans and saute until slightly browned (10-20mins).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put beets, chicken, and eggs together and add dressing.
- Serve while beets are still warm.