History

The Club

The club was formed in 1920 in a hall in Victoria Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire.

This is where the club gets it's name.

In 1935 there was an in influx of enthusiastic young players from

the W.I. and the club moved to the Trinity Parish Room.

Then for a time the club played in a new purpose-built hall in

Egremont Street but there was insufficient heating and the club

was asked to fund the upgrade. Not being able to afford this, the club moved on once again.

During the second world war the club moved from place to place,

Victoria Street, The Kings School, Haddenham and probably others.

After the war the club returned to the Trinity Parish facility after the

improvements had been made. The other clubs in Ely had disbanded

by now so all the members joined Victoria in 1946 making one strong,

competitive club.

So called 'friendly' matches were played against local rivals such as

Haddenham and Littleport; until in 1970 the club joined the South

Cambridgeshire league with one mixed team.

In 1986 the club moved to it's current venue, Ely Paradise Sports Centre.

Other Important Dates

    • June 2012 - Ely Paradise Sports Centre installed a sprung wooden floor.

    • 2016-17 Season - Mens Prem Side were crowned Champions of the South Cambs league.

VIP's

Pip Cooper (Hilda Cooper)

Pip started playing at Ely Victoria in the 1930's, where she continued playing for over 50 years. she maintained her enthusiasm and took an active interest in every member of the club, particularly sharing her enthusiasm and experience with the younger members. While she was president of the club, Pip presented a silver salver which is played for every season in a mixed doubles tournament. Pip is the only person to be made an honorary life-member.

Rod Burrows

Rod was a journalist working for the Ely Standard. He was a very keen , enthusiastic member of Ely Victoria with a wicked sense of humour. He thoroughly enjoyed playing league matches as well as club nights. Tragically Rod was killed in a car accident in 1984, aged 34. The committee decided to present a trophy in his memory to be played for every season at a mixed doubles tournament.

Ken Wheeler

Ken has had a long association with the club. He was a very talented match player and a dedicated club member. He was chairman of the club for many years and was always looking for ways in which the club could develop and grow. In 1983 Ken's work took him to America and, before he left, he presented the club with a shield which was to be played for at the end of the season in a mixed doubles tournament. After his return Ken went on to become President of the club and continued to drive the club forward. Although no longer president, Ken still maintains a very keen interest in the club.

Pip and Kim Prior

As one of many husband and wife pairings at the club, Pip and Kim were very keen match players and dedicated club members. Kim took on the coaching of juniors and Pip was Chairman of the club. When they left the club they presented two trophies, one to be played for by the men and one for the ladies.