Photo Gallery

       Courtesy of the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District, Station 69.
I
Watercolor, Sheldon School, June 1949.  The artist is Frances Martin, who taught grades 1 through 3.
                                                                             (Image courtesy of Donald Skow)


Left, Lester Skow, squirrel hunting along San Pablo Creek,
c. 1920.  (Photo courtesy of Donald Skow)





Brothers Ed (behind bar) and John Bancucci, Ed's Place, c. 1960
(Photo courtesy of Laverne Banducci)





















El Sobrante Elementary School #1.  At this time, Marie A. Murphy School was known as El Sobrante Elementary School #2.
(Photo courtesy of Steven James)   













Above:  Practicing cattle-roping at the Skow Dairy, c. 1942    (Photo courtesy of Edward Campbell)

 Left: Musical group at the Laurel Glen Resort, on the California &  
 Nevada RR line, c. 1898.  This site is now covered by the
 San Pablo Reservoir 
      (Photo courtesy of the Contra Costa County Historical Society)         



Park Theatre Entertainment Guide, June thru early July, 1950.  Interestingly, many of the offerings were not new or recent films.  "The Outlaw," for instance, first opened in 1943.  "Holiday Affair," starring Robert Mitchum, was a 1949 film, as was "The Third Man," a famous Orson Welles film.  The Park Theatre originally opened in September, 1949.    
 (Courtesy of Richard Jeha)      
                                                      



This aerial photo was taken in 1948, and shows the "Y" area at the intersection of Appian Way and Valley View.  Actually, at this time, Appian only extended to this point, the rest of the road being known as Maloney Road.  The large building at the center, bottom, is Vogel's Market (later Fowler's).  At the top left is the HorseshoeTavern.     
                                (Courtesy of Edward Campbell)  


 
       
At the right is a newspaper image of Ray and Jerry's Market, taken around 1950.  Cousins Ray and Jerry Dickinson opened the store around 1946; it stood about where the Jack-In-The Box and the little Chinese food place stand today.  Jerry left after a few years, and the store was simply known as "Ray's."  In the mid-1950s the store was bought out by the Fry's food chain (it may have been the first).  Ray went on to open the LoRay Market, combining the names of
himself and his wife (Loretta).   (Courtesy of the Oliver Family)

Sharon and Virginia Kersey, along Hillcrest Road, 1947.  The view is northeast, with San Pablo Dam Road running through the center of the picture.  The intersection of Hillcrest and Dam Road is just to the left of Sharon's elbow.  The bus at the intersection is the site of the Park Theatre, which would be built two years after this picture was taken.
(Courtesy of Nelma Collings Kersey)







Members of the Kersey family, watching the mushroom cloud rising from the Hercules Powder Plant, February 12, 1953.  At least ten workers died in this terrific explosion, which was heard and felt all over the Bay Area. 

(Courtesy of Nelma Collings Kersey)



Montara housing development, January 1956.  After a series of heavy rainstorms, virtually all of the homes in this 27-unit development, below Hillcrest Road, were damaged.  At least four homes had to be evacuated. This was one of the first of many questionable construction projects on El Sobrante's notoriously unstable slopes. (Courtesy of Nelma Collings Kersey)



Looking west along San Pablo Dam Road toward Ed's Bar and service station, July 1953.  At the right is the intersection with old Castro Road, now Valley View.  (Courtesy of Paula Bancucci Sanchez)