Welcome to my personal website
I am a postdoctoral fellow in the Communication Theory Lab (CTL), at the Computer, Electrical, and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering division (CEMSE), King Abdullah University for Science and Technology (KAUST), Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I have also been appointed an adjunct membership to the computer science and engineering department at York University, Canada.
I received my Ph.D. degree in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Manitoba in March 2014. My Ph.D. supervisor is professor Ekram Hossain. I received my B.Sc and M.Sc both in electrical engineering from Assiut University, Assuit, Egypt 2006 and Arab Academy for Science and Technology, Cairo, Egypt 2009 respectively. During the period of 2006 to 2010, I worked at the National Telecommunication Institute, Egypt where I conducted research related to network planning as well as professional training both at the national and international levels.
From Sept. 2010 to March 2014, I worked as a research assistant in TRTech Winnipeg on a research project titled "Coexistence and Integration of Body Sensor Area networks". This research project was jointly sponsored by Natural Science and Research Council of Canada (NSERC), TRTech, IMT, and MTS Allstream.
- The paper "On the Scalability of Uncoordinated Multiple Access for the Internet of Things" co-authored with Giovanni Chisci, Prof. Andrea Conti, Prof. Mohamed-Slim Alouini, and Prof. Moe Win, is recognized via the "Best Scientific Contribution Award" in the International Symposium on Wireless Communications Systems (ISWCS), Bologna, Italy. [Link]
- The paper titled "Analytical Modeling of Mode Selection and Power Control for Underlay D2D Communication in Cellular Networks", co-authored with Prof. Ekram Hossain and Prof. Mohamed-Slim Alouini, is listed in the IEEE COMSOC Best Reading Topics on Device-to-Device Communications. [Link]
- Elevated to IEEE Senior Member in March 2017.
- New tutorial on modeling cellular networks using stochastic geometry [Link].
- Novel spatiotemporal model for IoT using stochastic geometry and queueing theory [Link].
- New insights for mobility and handover management in dense cellular environments [Link1] [Link2] [Link3].
Honors and Awards:
- Exemplary reviewer IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 2017.
- Best Scientific Contribution Award to the International Symposium of Wireless Communications Systems, Bologna, Italy, August 2017.
- IEEE Communication Society Best Survey Paper Award 2017.
- Exemplary reviewer in IEEE Transactions on Communications (2014, 2015, and 2016)
- Best paper award in the 4th International Workshop on Small Cell and 5G Networks (SmallNets) organized in conjunction with IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), London, UK, June 2015.
- Natural sciences and engineering research council industrial postgraduate scholarship (NSERC IPS): Fall 2010 - Spring 2013
- TRTech telecommunications research graduate fellowship: Sep. 2010 - Aug. 2013
- International graduate student scholarship (IGSS): Fall 2011
- Faculty of graduate studies travel award: Dec. 2011, & May 2013
- TRTech travel award: Dec 2011, Jun 2012, & May 2013
I have served in the editorial board (as an editorial assistance) of the IEEE communication surveys and tutorials since Jan. 2012
I have been involved as a technical program committee (TPC) member and a reviewer for different conferences and journals including:
- IEEE journal on selected areas in communications
- IEEE transactions on communications
- IEEE transactions on wireless communications
- IEEE communication surveys and tutorials
- IEEE wireless communications magazine
- IEEE communication magazine
- IEEE wireless communications letters
- IEEE communication letters