Librarian • 25 Years’ Experience in Academic, State, and Special Libraries and Corporations
Reference Services -- Collection Development
Interlibrary Loan Services -- Early Literacy Project Administration
Electronic Resources -- Family Resource Center Creation
Cataloging and Authority Control -- Budget and Grant Administration
Archives Management -- Patron Instruction
Initiating Projects -- Obtaining Grants
Shriners Hospitals for Children, Medical Librarian, Lexington, KY 1997–Present
- Interviewed patrons and performed literature searches based on their information needs
- Obtained articles via interlibrary loan and participated in free reciprocal consortia, saving the hospital thousands of dollars in fees
- Updated the collection via obtained grant monies
- Cataloged the collection into a database using emerging technologies
- Initiated and oversaw a clinical early literacy program
- Created a family resource center with resources on parenting, medical conditions, and wellness
- Negotiated access to electronic resources
- Supervised volunteer workers
Kentucky Educational Television, Lexington, KY 2004-2006
Developed lesson plans for high school students.
Designed web-page learning materials for use in classrooms and online classes.
Researched educational materials and standards.
Book Wholesalers, Inc., Lexington, KY 2000
Comic Interlude, Assistant Manager, Lexington, KY 1996
- Increased access to 10,000 serial issues
- Developed a secure database of titles, items ordered, and customers
- Managed over 200 reserve files
- Streamlined the process for orders and shipments
- Provided excellent customer service
University of Kentucky, Graduate Assistant, Lexington, KY 1992-1993
- Cataloged hundreds of primary special collections records
- Copy-cataloged records into the integrated library system
- Assured integrity of bibliographic records and authority files of the integrated library system
Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, Public Records Intern, Frankfort, KY 1992
- Collated and cataloged three years’ worth of public records archives.
- Created electronic and print finding aids.
- Provided reference services to patrons in genealogy and local history.
Master of Science in Library Science, 1993 • University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
Coursework: Cataloging, Technology in Libraries, Archives and Preservation, Health Sciences Librarianship, Children’s Literature, and Storytelling
Bachelor of Science, 1989 • University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
Coursework: Sociology, Ancient/Medieval/Early Modern History, Social History, Gender in History and Society, Honors Program, Classics, Judaic Studies, Languages and Linguistics
COMMITTEE WORK, INSTRUCTION, AND AWARDS
- Greater Midwest Region Regional Advisory Council, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Kentucky Representative, 2011-2016
- Greater Midwest Region, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Technology Forum Workgroup, 2011-2016
- Hospital Library Section/Medical Library Association Professional Development Grant Jury, Member, 2016-2017
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Family-to-Family Co-Teacher, June-August 2015
- Medical Library Association Ida and George Eliot Prize Jury, member 2011-2012
- Medical Library Association Hospital Libraries Section Membership Committee, member 2009-2011, chair 2011-2014
- Medical Library Association Lois A. Colaianni Award for Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship Jury, member 2006-2007, chair 2007-2008
- Medical Library Association Hospital Libraries Section Publications Committee, member 2006-2007
- Scroll of Exemplary Service, Hospital Libraries Section, Medical Library Association, 2003, 2010
Proficient in social media, mobile technologies, web design (including HTML and CSS), cataloging, integrated library systems, and Microsoft Office. Familiar with computer programming principles, database design, and responsive web design.