Home‎ > ‎Talbot Times Newsletters‎ > ‎

Talbot Times 2001 June




Newsletter of the



ISSN 0827-2816


JUNE 2001

Extracts of Genealogical information

Chairman’s Message

The Regional Meeting hosted by our branch on April 7 was an overwhelming success. There were about 75 present and we received many positive comments on the program presented by Fawne Stratford-Devai. As well as our own sales table, which did a brisk business, publications were sold by London-Middlesex, Oxford, and Kent Branches, and the West Elgin Genealogical & Historical Society. During the business portion of the meeting, Dennis Mulligan, of London, was elected Regional Director, and I was elected Regional Secretary. We assume these positions following the OGS Annual General Meeting at Seminar 2001 in May.

An order has been sent to the Genealogical Society of Utah for microfilmed copies of Elgin County church records, as approved by our membership a year and a half ago. We were successful in obtaining permission to purchase copies of the church records for Yarmouth First Regular Baptist (Plains), Eden Baptist, Sparta Baptist, New Sarum Baptist, Fingal Baptist, Calton Baptist, Centre Street Baptist Church, St. Mary’s Roman Catholic West Lorne, Holy Angels Roman Catholic St. Thomas, and Knox Presbyterian St. Thomas. There were eight other churches that records are available for, who did not respond to our request for permission. A follow up on these will likely be conducted.

The membership also recently approved the purchase of microfilmed copies of the General Register records (wills, administrations, etc. at the Land Registry Office). A request for permission to purchase has been sent to the Ministry of Consumer & Business Services.

At a recent executive meeting, it was decided to place our county-wide cemetery index on our web site to make research easier for those who cannot visit our library holdings in St. Thomas. Our web publisher Bruce Johnson has added a great deal of material to the Elgin Genweb site, which he maintains.

As we break from meetings for July and August, I wish you all much success in your genealogical research during the summer.

Jim McCallum


Aylmer Express - May 14, 1946

Village Derives Name From Engineer Working on the Construction of the “Canada Southern” Railway, Now the New York Central

Writer Recalls Many of The Pioneer Families and Their Descendants


One of the earliest pioneers to Kingsmill was William Teeple, better known as “Big Teeple”, who arrived from Ireland in 1840 and who was largely instrumental in the building of Kingsmill. This early pioneer also owned all the land between Orwell and the 9th Concession. Their family consisted of two sons, James and Stephen, and a daughter Mary. James Teeple resided where Mervin Ashton now resides, while Stephen Teeple, who married Ella Sweet, a sister of John Sweet of the 8th Concession of Malahide, located on Frank Stover’s place. Following Mary’s marriage her home was north of Orwell near the old flowing well where Harold Cleaver now resides.

Many of the present generation have doubtless wondered where Kingsmill derived its name. Kingsmill was named after one of the engineers, who in 1872 built the first railway, “Canada Southern”, a single-track road through Kingsmill. Later Canada Southern was absorbed by the “Michigan Central”, a double-track road, later this road was taken over by the “New York Central”.

When the railway had become a reality, Kingsmill began to be a thriving place, consisting of two stores, an elevator, a harness shop, a sawmill, a large hotel and a grist mill, which were built during 1873. Robert Putnam was the first storekeeper, who had his store where the Community Hall now stands. Across the street and a little to the south, Bob Hill a little later conducted the other store, right next to the harness shop, of which Richard Strogher was the owner. Apparently Bob Hill was not only a storekeeper but a carpenter as well, because he built the house where Walter Ashton now resides. Stephen Teeple was the first station agent, who had his offices in the elevator, which was built near the site of the Kingsmill Station, which was later built and then removed some years ago. Ben Knight was the hotel proprietor. Part of the hotel building was moved years later to the site where Melbourne Ashton now resides, just south of the village.

After Robert Putnam the storekeeper had sold his store to the hotel proprietor Ben Knight, many changes took place. James McCaulley became storekeeper for a while, followed by Frank Wagner, then J. E. Lloyd, finally James McCaulley again, who sold his business to Joe Grandy, who conducted a flourishing trade, for many years. Later he transacted the store to Ray Lucas, then Daniel Crossett, who sold to Charles Pettit - the last storekeeper, who made arrangements to have the post office removed to his residence across the street. Eventually the store which had once been the scenes of many happy days, was converted into an up-to-date Community Hall, which is used occasionally for Institute meetings, as well as social evenings and dances in the winter time, which have proved very popular.

The earliest pioneer in the Kingsmill district was Jake Cline of the United Empire Loyalists, who arrived from Pennsylvania in 1827 purchasing his farm from the Crown and settled on the 11th concession near the southeast corner of his granddaughter’s farm, Mrs. Bruce (Agnes) Rohrer, whose home is now located a little further west. At that time, the settlement consisted of a dense forest mostly maple, beech and some oak.

When Zedekiah Dance arrived from England in 1835 and settled where his grandson Carlton now resides between the 11th and 12th concessions, there were only fourteen settlers in what is now North and South Dorchester. Will Appleford who also arrived from England in 1835 located where Herbert Brown’s now reside on the 11th concession. From England to Quebec the Dance and Appleford families were fifty-six days in crossing the Atlantic, then three months travelling to this district; walking the last eighty miles from Hamilton. Long Point was their nearest mill, and then in 1837 a grist mill was constructed at Port Stanley, where the journey took two days with a yoke of oxen.

Simon Hoover was another pioneer of Pennsylvania Dutch, who in 1839 settled where his great grandson Claud Hoover now resides on the 12th concession. Simon Hoover first resided in the Welland district.

Browns and Augustines were also among the early pioneers. William Brown, United Empire Loyalist, came from the Niagara district and settled near the home where Wilfred Herbert’s are now located almost across from where his grandson Fred Brown now resides. Henry Augustine, also a United Empire Loyalist, settled where Oliver Dawson and Mrs. W. H. Brown are located.

George Legg, a pioneer of English descent, settled on the 10th concession, near the site where his grandson Henry Legg now resides. Part of George Legg’s pioneer home is utilized for the back of the residence of Roy Legg, another grandson of the 10th concession.

David Moore was another pioneer who came to Canada from Ireland and settled where his great great grandson Walter Moore of the 10th concession now resides.

James Moore was also an early pioneer, travelling from Ireland and settled where his great great grandson Hugh Moore of the 11th concession now resides.

Solomon Parkes settled in those early days where Bert Foster’s are now located on the 9th concession. His country home was considered one of the most attractive places on that road. Later his son, Solomon Parkes resided where John Donald’s are now located.

During 1857, the first school in the Kingsmill district was built of logs and was situated on the northwest corner of what is now the Gordon Kilmer farm, almost across from where Herbert Browns’ are now located on the 11th concession. Cynthia McDonald was the first teacher in the log school from 1857-1860. Later she was the first teacher in the red brick school, which was built in 1860 near the site of the present school, a little to the north and across from John Donald’s. This school was named “Goldsmith Seminary”. Some of the teachers included Mary Ann Tinlin (the late Mrs. Ansel Bray, Mapleton), Etta McCready, later a missionary of South America, Angus McIntyre and A. O. Brown, who later studied the medical profession, Louise McKenney (Mrs. Evert Vanpatter, Luton), Leone McKennna (Mrs. Herbert White, Aylmer), the late J. A. Campbell who became a doctor later, Clarence Laidlaw, a civil engineer later, the late Edwin Bowes, Minnie Bottrill, Jean McGregor (Mrs. Henry Culham, Aylmer), Gordon Newell, Edith Meikle, Emma Cline, Julia McIntyre (now Mrs. Bruce Brown, Mapleton), being the last teacher in Goldsmith Seminary. At that time the trustees were Salem Herbert, John Condon and the secretary, Will Wagner, who also acted for a while int he new Kingsmill school, which was built near the old site in 1913. Julia McIntyre, the same teacher in the old school, also taught in the new. Other teachers who followed included Ella Cline, Ellan McKellar, later dentist, May Teeple, Nita Pearce, Gwen Goff, Lois Parkes (Mrs. George Jenkins, Belmont), Alex Betterly, Lila Tisdale, Elsie Taylor (Mrs. John W. Millman, Sparta), Selma Caverly, Roy Harvey, Ethel Pratt, Austin Charlton, Marion McIntyre, Mrs. Simon Elgie and others. Mrs. Fred Brown is the present teacher.

Church and Sunday School were held in the old school “Goldsmith Seminary” for many years. Prominent among the preachers included the late Burton Robinson, E. I. Matthews, A. M. Stuart, and S. R. McVittie, later superintendent of the Muncey Reserve. Sunday School was conducted in the new school for a number of years. Solomon Parkes was Superintendent for many years, also Marvey Martindale, Austin Charlton and Lloyd Laidlaw, who was the last superintendent in 1920. All of the Superintendents gave faithful service.

Early history reveals that the road past Gordon Kilmer’s did not always exist. Just why that road became a given road was due to the generosity of Claud Hoovers grandfather Jesse Hoover and Dan VanAse, who lived where Lewis Doan later lived and also a many by the name of Heniker, who resided on the Gordon Kilmer farm; each gave over a rod off their farms for this new road - thus opening a route, which has been greatly appreciated by so many down through the years.

History also reveals that a blacksmith shop was at one time located between the school and residence of John Condon. Colin Turner was the first person to operate the blacksmith shop, then he sold the shop to Thomas Condon, a brother of John Condon, who later moved it across the road to the west side some distance north of the residence of John Donald. Later the shop was sold to Ransom Koyle.

An inspiration to every homemaker in the district has been the formation of the Kingsmill-Mapleton Women’s Institute, organized in 1907. “Home and Country” is still their lofty motto. Mrs. John Donald is the president and Mrs. Ralph Stover is the secretary. An inspiration also to the district has been the C. W. B. M., which was organized in 1908, a missionary organization associated with the Church of Christ, Mapleton. Mrs. Claud Hoover is the president and Mrs. Charles Cartwright the secretary.

During 1932 a Literary Society was organized at the Kingsmill school which held enthusiastic programs every Friday night during the winter months. These programs proved of great interest to everyone for over six years.

Four residents of the Kingsmill district have attained their eightieth birthdays. John Sweet of the 8th concession, Malahide, has the honor of being the oldest resident, having celebrated his 85th birthday, while his wife, Mrs John (Rose) Sweet has celebrated her 82nd birthday. John Brooks of the 11th concession, who resides with his daughter, Mrs. Ivan (Gladys) Warren, has celebrated his 84th birthday and Mrs. W. H. (Hattie) Brown of the 11th concession has celebrated her 81st birthday.

Since seven residents of the Kingsmill district have celebrated their 75th birthdays, the writer is pleased to record their names, also John Condon of the 12th concession, who will celebrate his 78th birthday in a few days. Salem Herbert of the 12th concession has celebrated his 77th birthday, while his wife, Mrs. Salem (Carrie) Herbert was reached her 76th birthday. Mrs. Edward (May) Holmes of the 9th concession Malahide, who resides with her daughter, Mrs. Robin (Alta) Dobbie, has celebrated her 76th birthday. Mrs. John (Selma Jane) Brooks, of the 11th concession has passed her 75th birthday. Mrs. Walter (Phoebe) Ashton, Kingsmill, has celebrated her 75th birthday and Mrs. Linda McNeil of the 10th concession, who resides with her daughters, Mrs. Walter (Vera) Moore, has celebrated her 75th birthday.

During World War I (1914-1918) and also World War II (1939-1945), many young men have enlisted from the Kingsmill district - in fact a number have sacrificed their gallant lives, whose names will appear on a separate page of the “Tweedsmuir Village History”, which will be dedicated to their noble services.

Compiled by Hazel E. Dance, Kingsmill, March 5th, 1946.


September 30,1959:

Dutton Advance.

Constable Robert Rapelje, a member of the St. Thomas Police Force since last February, last Thursday had the honor of uncovering a plaque commemorating his great-great grandfather, Captain Daniel Rapelje, as founder and first citizen of St. Thomas. The plaque, erected on the St. Thomas City Hall lawn by the Department of Travel and Publicity on the advice of the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, was unveiled in an impressive ceremony before more than 200 Grace VIII students from St. Thomas Public and Separate Schools. The inscription in gold lettering on a blue background reads:

“Captain Daniel Rapelje, 1774 - 1828 - Emigrating from New York State to the Long Point Settlement in 1802, Rapelje later received 200 acres of land on the south side of the Talbot Road at Kettle Creek. He settled here with his family in 1810. A veteran of Lundy’s Lane and other battles of the War of 1812, he became a captain of the 1st Middlesex Militia. In 1814 he built a log gristmill and subsequently divided a portion of his land into town lots. The settlement that Rapelje established formed the nucleus of the City of St. Thomas.”

Guest speaker at the ceremony was Hon. Bryan L. Cathcart, Ontario Minister of Travel and Publicity, who stressed the importance of preserving Canadian history, not only for this generation but also the one to come, said it was imperative that an impression be made on young minds.

He paid tribute to St. Thomas and to Daniel Rapelje, who 150 years ago, built a European type home in St. Thomas and also made a grant of two acres of land to build the old St. Thomas Church on Walnut Street.

Captain Rapelje in the speaker’s opinion, was a great family and community man, who gave unstintingly of himself in a quiet, unassuming way. He compared him to Col. Thomas Talbot, who founded the Talbot settlement and stated that their personalities were vastly different. Col. Talbot, he said, was an eccentric man, but a great organizer in spite of his brusque and often rude manner.

Both men, he said, made great contributions, Talbot being responsible for the beginning of Elgin County and Rapelje for St. Thomas."


August 1, 1960

-Dutton Advance.

Is your name de Rapelie, Rapelye or Rapelje or some derivative? If so, Mrs. Sally G. Stevenson, 1548 Commerce Avenue, Longview, Washington is anxious that you get in touch with her.

[Note: this was written in 1960]

Mrs. Stevenson, compiling the genealogy of her husband’s maternal line, is missing a part of the family that ventured to the Maritime provinces. She wrote to the Nova Scotia Department of Trade and Industry for information where she might trace her missing relatives.

Of Norwegian birth, Mrs. Stevenson became a genealogist in 1936. Her family emigrated to Canada in 1907 and travelled across the country to enter the United States at Sumas, Washington.

In tracing her husband’s maternal family, Mrs. Stevenson discovered that a Norman Frenchman, Joris Janse de Rapalie and his wife came to New Amsterdam where their daughter Sarah, was the first white girl to be born in the Long Island area.

Family members wrote their name in various ways: de Rapelie, Rapalje, Rapelje, Rapayle, Rapelye and Rappleyea, but all are from the same family tree. In the War of the Revolution, many who were Loyalists residing in New York and New Jersey, surrendered their estates in support of their principles. These people went to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, but further record has been unavailable.

Mrs. Stevenson would like to trace these people to add to the 40,000 family members she has already collected to conclude the history. She has requested that anyone with a name - or knowing of a name - such as those mentioned above write to her.

Several members of the Rapelje family live in this district. Daniel Rapelje was the first settler in St. Thomas, arriving there in 1810."DID YOU KNOW THAT

In fuedal times, a peasant was permitted to collect wood from his master's estate as long as he used only a farming hook or shepherd's crook to gather suitable branches. This was a tiresome job but it did eventually secure a supply of kindling for his fire. Hence the well known expression "by hook or by crook”

When remedies and cures were sold in great quan­tities at country fairs, the vendor Proclaimed their supposed value in a loud voice. This student form of advertising was known as "quacking", the term becoming associated with medicine generally. Hence the word "quack" to describe a false medical man, but sometimes used jestingly for a real one.


November 21, 1956: Dutton Advance.

Immediate relatives of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Duncanson, gathered at the home of Peter Duncanson, Con. 4, Lot 13, Dunwich, the occasion being to mark the passing of a century and the beginning of another that the farm has been in continuous possession of the family.

About 1845 the late Peter Duncanson and his wife, Mary Stalker, arrived in Canada from Dunoon farm, Argyleshire, Scotland. Later they came west to Westminster Township, Middlesex County, where relatives had preceded them. Then, in 1855, they came to Dunwich with eight of a family, four of whom had been born in Scotland. The family located in Dunwich, Aldborough, Calumet, California, and Nebraska.

The second owner was the late James Duncanson. He was born in Westminster and was seven years old when the family came to Dunwich. Later he married Jeanne MacWilliam, who was born on Clockkiel farm in 1856 and had come to Canada with her parents, the late Alexander MacWilliam and Nancy Stewart, and their children.

The present owner is of the third generation who were all present. There are also fourth and fifth generations.

Remembrances of former friends, neighbors, activities and happy times were recollected and all present spent an enjoyable evening."


December 12, 1956: Dutton Advance.

At the fortieth wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Russell Gilbert in Toronto recently, a brief history of the Gilbert family, well-known in this district, was given by the groom of forty years ago. He was born on the 9th Concession of Dunwich, attended Dutton High School and later entered the Traders Bank here. Mr. Gilbert continued with the Royal Bank after it took over the Traders. Following are excerpts from the history of the Gilberts given at the wedding anniversary:

“As most of you know, a heritage is something handed down to us by former generations whether in the form of wealth, invention or discovery. Every family has a heritage: the McArthurs, the McLeans, the McGregors, the McIntyres, the Pates, the Silverthorns, - yes, even the Gilberts. During some period down through the ages, every family has had a philosopher, politician, navigator or general who has contributed much to the honor and glory of succeeding generations. This leads me to our own family name. Sir Humphrey Gilbert, who discovered Newfoundland on August 5th, 1583, and claimed it on behalf of Elizabeth, the Queen of England, was born near Tavistock, England, and my grandfather, John Gilbert, was one of his descendants, having been born there approximately 230 years later.

John Gilbert was born on May 24th, 1819, the same day as Queen Victoria, and at the age of 21 years he left the shores of England by sail boat, along with his two younger brothers, William and Thomas. After a very rough seven weeks’ voyage, they reached the shores of Canada and a week later, the Port of Montreal. During the early summer of 1840, they gradually moved west along the river St. Lawrence, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie until they reached Port Stanley. A few days later, they arrived at New Sarum, near St. Thomas, where they settled and worked with farmers who were clearing the land and tilling the stumpy fields.

John Gilbert finally bought a small farm here and, withing a year, married his neighbor’s daughter, Phoebe House. He farmed here for several years and on March 23, 1851, a son, Walter, was born. Nine years later the family moved to a bush farm near Wallacetown which was purchased from the Crown a few years before through the late Colonel Talbot. Walter Gilbert grew up on this farm and at the age of 23 married Annie McLean and built a home on the western half of this 100-acre farm. Here his three sons, George, John and Russell, were born.

Russell lived here until he entered the Traders Bank of Canada in Dutton at the age of 19 years. Four years later, in October of 1906, he was transferred to the head office of the bank in Toronto. The following year he met a brown-eyed brunette by the name of Margaret L. McArthur and believe it or not it took nine long years to persuade her sign up.”

Following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert resided at Camrose, Alberta, until 1922 when they returned to Toronto where they are living retired. Mr. Gilbert’s brother, George W., resides at Wallacetown and other relatives still are in that district."


October 19, 1955: - Dutton Advance.

The death occurred in St. Thomas on October 13th of Mrs. Alma (Lumley) Near at the age of 92, after a long illness. Mrs. Near had the distinction of being the last member of the third generation of a family which was first established in Canada in 1774, each generation having had an average longevity of 62 years.

Born in Iona on October 13, 1863, Mrs. Near had lived there until going to St. Thomas, in 1915, to live, and had been a resident there ever since. She was a member of Centre Street Baptist Church, St. Thomas.

Her family history is of great interest in this district. In 1774, Thomas Lumley left his home in Rillington, Yorkshire, England, taking his daughter and son, John (aged 6), and coming to Canada, settling near Macann, N.S. John grew up, married Ann Harrison and raised a large family.

The oldest girl, Elizabeth, married Henry Mills and lived in Nova Scotia, while her father brought all of the other members of his family to settle in Elgin County at Iona about 1820. One of the sons was Thomas, born in Nova Scotia in 1809.

This Thomas married Christine Willey and his second wife was a Mrs. Eliza Mills. Of his eleven children, Mrs. Alma Near was his youngest and she was the last to pass away.

Mrs. Near’s husband, the late Robert Near, died in 1915. She leaves one son, William E. Near, of Fort Erie, and one daughter, Mrs. Clara Spang, of Elkhart, Indiana. One son, Thomas Near, died in St. Thomas in 1933. There are also six grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren.

Funeral service was held at the L. B. Sifton Funeral Home, St. Thomas, on Saturday and was conducted by Rev. R. D. Harmer, of Centre Street Baptist Church, St. Thomas. Interment was made in St. Thomas Cemetery. The pallbearers were C. R. Jackson, Allen Read, George McColl, William Near Jr., Allan Dawdy and Robert Near. The flower bearers were Dr. Charles C. Lumley and Roy Bowey."Service in St. Peter’s


July 15, 1959 Dutton Advance.

More than 150 members of the Patterson, Pearce, Storey and Backus families gathered at the John E. Pearce Park, Tyrconnell, on Tuesday to mark the 150th anniversary of the arrival of their forbears in that district. They came from as widely scattered points as Sheffield Mills, N.S.; Wichita, Kansas; Raytown, Missouir; Lacombe, Alberta; Rochester, New York; Columbus, Ohio; Boston, Mass. Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Pearce and daughter, Muriel, of Lacombe, Alberta, who motored nearly 2,000 miles for the event, received a prize for coming the greatest distance. Of particular interest is the fact that the ages of six members of the family of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas L. Pearce, all present at the gathering, totalled 464 years.

A bountiful picnic dinner was served on the grounds overlooking the lake. A cake bearing the number 150 was cut by Mrs. S. S. Turville of Hyde Park. At four o’clock, a memorial service was held in St. Peter’s Anglican Church, which early members of the family aided in establishing. The rector, Rev. John Graham, offered the prayers; Douglas Simpson, of Wallacetown, read the Psalm and Rev. Anson Moorehouse of Riverside, gave the address. The latter compared the customs and mode of living today with that of 1809, when the early residents came to the Tyrconnell area.

Miss Allison Pearce of Byron presided at the organ and members of the celebrating families formed the choir. Several of those attending also took the opportunity to visit the nearby St. Peter’s cemetery where many of their ancestors rest.

A brief history included in invitations to the picnic reveals that in 1800 Leslie Patterson and sisters left Fermanagh, Ireland, for Erie, Pennsylvania. There they met Joseph Backus and family from Vermont, and John Pearce from Rhode Island.

In the year 1809 Leslie Patterson (who had married Lydia Backus), his widowed sister, Mary Storey, her son and two daughters, and John Pearce (married to Fanny Patterson), left Pennsylvania for Canada, and on July 14, 1809 landed about five miles west of Port Talbot, where lay the land purchased the year before from Col. Talbot. Hither Stephen Backus soon followed and married Anne Storey, and here, after untold hardships, privations and toil, they lived to change the unbroken forest into the beautiful farms still occupied by some their descendants. In the midst stands the church, for over 125 years open for Divine service, and close by the landing places lies the graveyard - their last resting place."


May 27, 1959 Dutton Advance.

Every once in a while the question is asked: Where did the Village of Eagle, located on No. 3 Highway, 26 miles west of St. Thomas, and three miles south of West Lorne, get its name? The answer is: From the eagles, which in the early days of the Talbot Settlement (and still do), make their home in the vicinity.

Originally, the place now known as Eagle, was called Eagle’s Nest. Mrs. Sidney Cosan, of Eagle, (R.R. #2 West Lorne) tells the Times Journal that the late Daniel Humphries, one of the early settlers of the district, had given her the information that in a large blam tree, standing in early days at the southwest corner of the Talbot Road and the road running north from the lake, the bald Eagles built their nests, several of them in one tree, and here raised their young. Thus the crossroads came to be commonly known as Eagle’s Nest. Later as the place developed and a post office was established there, the “Nest” was dropped from the name it became plain Eagle.

Back in the sixties and seventies perhaps earlier, Eagle was one of the most important points on the famous Talbot Road. That was natural because traffic, mostly horse-drawn of course, was quite heavy from the lake, where there was a dock, northward, as well as along the Talbot Road. When the railroads (the Canada Southern and the Great Western) built their lines east and west across Southwestern Ontario, the importance of Eagle, along with Wallacetown, Fingal, New Glasgow, Iona and other places along the Talbot Road dwindled and such places as West Lorne, (also known as Bismark), Shedden, Dutton, and Iona Station in West Elgin, sprang into being, and Rodney, in 1870 with only 100 population, developed into a more prosperous village.

Just how important a place Eagle was in those early days can be secured from Armstrong and Company’s Gazetteer and Directory, published in 1872. It gives the population as 150, served by mails daily and says: “The village has a good shipping harbor on Lake Erie, where a large quantity of timer, lumber, shingles, and staves, and all kinds of farm produce are exported. The village contains a Baptist church, erected in 1868 at a cost of $1,00 (still in use in 1959); a good school, etc.

“Mowbray and Loud’s Steam Saw mill has capacity to cut one million feet of lumber annually and the planing mills and shingle factory are carried on extensively; 12 hands are employed and a 40 horsepower engine used.

“J. J. Lindenman and Co.’s large planing mills, door, sash and blind manufactory is wrought with equal energy and success; six hands are employed. There are two good hotels, the Elgin House kept by John Partridge and the Dominion Hotel kept by John Livingston, and both worthy of patronage and supply public comfort and accommodation.”

Today, although Eagle is a different looking place from what it was in the 1860's and 1870's, or 1880's, it is an important and busy point on the busy No. 3 Highway at the intersection of Highway No. 76 leading to West Lorne. And while the large balm tree that stood on the southwest corner of the crossroads, where the bald eagles raised their young, is gone the name “Eagle’s Nest” remains. It is carried by a well-kept restaurant on the northeast corner, where once stood a busy blacksmith shop. The eagles, too, inhabit the neighborhood but are more inclined now to build their nests in the tall trees that border the lake. Incidentally, shooting or otherwise killing of bald eagles, is prohibited by Ontario law.


GILLESPIE: James Gillespie b1815 Co. of Tyrone, Ireland m Martha Irwin/Irvin 1845 d1865 , he married 1865 Mrs. Eliza Jones (d 1909) from Brantford (presumably a widow- she had several children) At that time he was 50 and Eliza was 29. Marriages took place in Trafalgar, Halton County. He is bur beside 1st wife & 3 of their sons, Gore Cem, Oneida Township. BUT he died Oct. 1906 age 91 in Elgin Co. where he had never owned land or lived before. At the time of James' death he would presumably still have been married to Eliza, His will was probated in Elgin Co. in Oct. 1906 no marital status given, but he died owning nothing but a one thousand dollar insurance policy which he left to his three daughters. Nothing to a wife.

Margaret Cooper, margc@ican.net

BROWN - Alfred BROWN died 1918 in his 64th year leaving 14 children. He lived at 21 East Ave employee of "Pere Marquette". His profession was as a bricklayer. His obtituary also states that he was later buried at the St Thomas Cemetery. Are there any family still St. Thomas area.

Mark Rex, rexs@lisp.com.au

AIDE - RISK - KHOURY - Atala Khalil Risk had a sister Rinjens Khoury, wife of Nicholas Khoury, Sarnia, Ont around 1930. He also had a sister or cousin Westene ? that married George Aide in St. Thomas, Ontario. I am interested in parents, siblings, spouses, birth dates, marriage dates, and death dates.

Lyle A. Wilkinson currey520@aol.com

THOMAS - McKENNEY - Inazella McKenney, b. May 23, 1975; marr. Dec. 12, 1896 in Springfield, Malahide, Atkinson Fowler Thomas, b.Nov. 30, 1873 in Wales (I believe). Any information will be appreciated.

Nancy NJOLM@aol.com

BAILEY - Information wanted on the following people from - 1901 census St. Thomas: George Bailey, blacksmith age 65. Ann J. Bailey (nee McDonald) age 61, Eli Bailey, blacksmith, age 32, Maggie (Margaret) Bailey age 29, Jennie (Ann Jane) Bailey age 27, Albert (Edward) Bailey, blacksmith, age 24. and from St. Thomas West Ave Cemetery:Bailey: Anne (McDonald), George, Jennie P., Margaret, Albert E., Marilla wife of Albert, Robert James (possible son of Albert and Marilla).

Cheryl Maxwell cmx@telusplanet.net

MERRIMAN: We are looking for any information on the Merriman Family in round Elgin Co. and will be visiting here in July.

Holly Merriman hmmvlf@aol.com

KERR/KEER/CARR - Information wanted on Jenet Kerr, d 16 Nov. 1864, age 34 yrs. 6 mos. James d. March 13, 1869 or 1863 age 49 St. Thomas West Ave Cemetery. 1852 census Westminster Township James age 34 shoemaker, Janet age 30 have 4 children, William 9, John 7, Nancy 5, James 3 b.Feb 14, 1849, and Murdock b. 1854.

Robert Dugald Buchanan

TREMEWAN, Rosanna, Rosanna (Jackson), Samuel, William bur in Fairview Cemetery, Dutton. Any information would be appreciated.

Ann Galbraith - dgalbri@xcelco.on.ca


I am researching the McPhails of Elgin county.

Margaret Kipp margaretkipp@home.com


searching the Freudenmuth family in Elgin county. In particular, John Christoph (also known as Charles/Karl) Freudenmuth and his wife Veronica. They died between 1854 and 1900. Their granddaughter, Emma C.Freudenmuth, was born in Aldborough in 1875.

Pat Burns pburns12@yahoo.com


- searching for information about Mary MCCOLL who married John Taylor about 1851/52. Their daughter Isabella born 1853 Plattsville, Oxford Co.

Delores Johnson - delores_johnson@telus.net


Information and dates wanted on William Leverton &Elizabeth Panther who settled Concession 2, Yarmouth

Bob Becker, rbecker@remc12.k12.mi.us


- Looking for descendants of Judge David J. HUGHES (1820-1914) and wife Sarah (1821-1903) of St. Thomas, Ont. Known children Emma, Alice, Edward, Edith, Susan B., Susan Barwick Hughes married St. Thomas 1888 John Cameron DouglasToronto lawyer. Llewellan, Christina, Eleanor (Ellie).

John M. Collins, #807-1285 Sandy Lane, Sarnia, Ont. N7V 4J7; tel: (519) 336-6189; jcollins@xcelco.on.ca

Buchner - Boughner

- Any information on Elgin County Buchner and Boughner’s wanted.

Margaret Laird -Margaret.Laird@dscc.dla.mil


- JANE CAMERON is possibly the one listed at "Frome United Church, Elgin,


Judith Watt, State College, PA - wattjl@yahoo.com


- Information wanted on Emma Jolliffe -b1856 d. 1922 alsoEdward G(eorge)& Emma Bowey who are buried in West Ave Cemetery.

Mike Jolliffe, Bracebridge, ON - jolliffe@onlink.net


Information wanted on STUART CLIFFORD LANGFORD b. 27 Feb. 1888 - d. 1965 Oceanside CA. He was in the Active Militia in 1908-1909 Annual Drill Pay-List of the 25th Regiment of Infantry, No. D Company at St Thomas APRIL 1ST 1908- MARCH 31 190. Residence was25 St. Catharines St. A printer by trade possibly worked at a newspaper. He was also a saxophone player and might have been associated with a band/orchestra. He married October 1910 Lincoln Road Church in Windsor. Who were his parents?

Albert Langford langford1@sympatico.ca


looking for a marriage record for Albert Comfort & Julia Christian b. N.Y.? m. St Thomas Presbyterian Church 24 Jan 1868 (another record reads 1888, however, the 1868 would be more probable). Headstones for Albert & Julia in Kilworth Cemetery, Middlesex, reads: Albert Comfort d Jan 10, 1921 age 80 Julia his wife d.Feb 20, 1920 age 72 (backside of headstone reads) Bert Comfort d. Aug 25 1903 age 32 Ethel M. d.Jul 14 1894 age 18. Any more details would be appreciated.

Joyce Scott joyce30@worldnet.att.net


: Kurt Moore lived in the Vienna, Straffordville area.

Tanya - 8thofdecember@sympatico.ca


Information wanted on John Belfrey & Louise Jameson Belfrey. St. Thomas West Avenue Cemetery,

Marybeth Brown, Nanaimo, BC - bilmarbrown@telus.net


born March 1863, St Thomas, Ont. Martha Burrell LIPSEY, born Dec 1861, St Thomas, Jane FERGUSON, born May 1828, St Thomas. I think William and Martha's religion was Wesleyan Methodist, and Jane's was Ref. Episcapol.

Marilyn - msorsdahl@yahoo.ca