Dr. John Pilling, Technical Director of Electric Park Research has a B.Sc.(1st Class Hons), M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Metallurgy from the University of Manchester (U.K.). He is the author of two scientific textbooks on superplasticity and phase equilibria as well as numerous peer reviewed articles in the scientific literature. Dr. Pilling has presented his work at major international conferences and is the recipient of the Institute of Materials (London) Pfeil Medal.
After graduating, John worked with the then Scientific Services Division of the Central Electricity Generating Board in Macclesfield, Cheshire. This period included projects on erosion-corrosion of superheater and condenser tubing of various nuclear power stations. His M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees involved the manufacture of various 2.25Cr-1Mo steels in order to study the role of trace elements such as titanium and phosphorus on their creep behaviour in conjunction with the C.E.G.B.. This was followed by 5 years of post doctoral research at the University of Manchester where Dr. Pilling worked on the phenomenon of superplasticity, metals that can deform to extremely large plastic strains. This worked involved the design and construction of leading edge testing facilities to evaluate the behaviour of various aluminium and titanium alloys at temperatures up to 1200C and imposed hydrostatic pressures of 1000psi. Much of the work was supported by British Areospace, Alcan and Rolls Royce AeroEngines. At the age of 25 Dr. Pilling was appointed to a faculty position in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Michigan Technological University where he taught until 2005 and still retains an adjunct professorship. Dr. Pilling has also taught at Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
Dr. Pilling has extensive practical knowledge of microscopy, including TEM and SEM, X-ray diffraction and spectroscopy and mechanical testing. John can even turn his hands to machining and welding whenever new pieces of equipment need to be designed and fabricated. In 2005 Dr. Pilling founded Electric Park Research, a consulting company offering technical advice and analysis of the usage of materials in load bearing components and structures. The company has worked extensively in the civil engineering field, advising Insituform Technology on the design and optimization of pipe liners manufactured from fibre reinforced laminates; with PolyOrtho International on the design and manufacturing of porous titanium prosthetic inserts and with St. Gobain Ceramics and Plastics on the development of new cutting and grinding wheel materials.
On a lighter note, John enjoys yacht racing and has competed in several North American Championships in the Ultimate 20 Class as well as being a regular participant in the Sailing World NOOD regattas, Bayfield Race Week and the Lake Superior Offshore Series including the Trans Superior Race. John has also sailed across the Atlantic and throughout the Carribean. John currently acts as one of the Principal Race Officers at the US Sailing Centre, Martin County, running sailing regattas for juniour, college and adult dinghy sailors.
- Superplasticity in Crystalline Solids, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Institute of Metals, London, 1989, 207 p. (ISBN 0 901462 56 X)
- The Relationship Between Phase Diagrams and Microstructure, J. Pilling, Institute of Materials, London, 1992 , 95p (ISBN 0 901716 11 1)
- Effect of Phosphorus on Creep in 2.25Cr-1Mo Steel, J. Pilling, N. Ridley and D. J. Gooch, Acta Metallurgica 30 (1982) 1587-1595.
- Tempering of Low Carbon 2.25Cr-1Mo Steels, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Metallurgical Transactions 13A (1982) 557-563.
- Effect of Titanium on Creep Strength in 2.25 Cr-1Mo Steels, J. Pilling, N. Ridley and D. J. Gooch, Metallurgical Transactions 14A (1983) 1443-1449.
- Solid State Bonding in Superplastic Ti-6Al-4V, J. Pilling, D. W. Livesey, J. B. Hawkyard and N. Ridley, Metal Science 18 (1984) 117-122.
- Effect of Coalescence on Cavity Growth during Superplastic Flow, J. Pilling, Materials Science and Technology 1 (1985) 461-465.
- Effect of Hydrostatic Pressure on Cavitation in Superplastic Aluminium Alloys, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Acta Metallurgica, 34 (1986) 669-679.
- Solid State Bonding in Superplastic Al-7475, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Materials Science and Technology 3 (1987) 353-359.
- Effect of Hydrostatic Pressure on Cavitation in Superplastic Alloys, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Res Mechanica 23 (1988) 31-63.
- The Kinetics of Isostatic Diffusion Bonding in Superplastic Materials, J. Pilling, Materials Science and Engineering 100 (1988) 137-144.
- Optimisation of Strain Rate Sensitivity during Superplastic Deformation of Al-Li Alloy Lital-A, D. W. Livesey, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Journal de Physique (1987) C3:251-256.
- Superplasticity in Aluminium Base Metal Matrix Composites, J. Pilling. Scripta Metallurgica 23 (1989) 1375-1380.
- Diffusion Bonding of Ni to W using Gradient Interlayers, X. Liu, J. Pilling, J. K. Lee and R. W. Heckel, Materials Science and Technology 7 (1990) 228-237.
- Isostatic Diffusion Bonding of Superplastic Ti-6Al-4V, M. T. Salehi, J. Pilling, N. Ridley and D. L. Hamilton, Materials Science and Engineering A150 (1992) 1-6.
- Isostatic Diffusion Bonding of Microduplex Stainless Steels, N. Ridley, M. T. Salehi and J. Pilling, Materials Science and Technology, 8 (1992) 791 - 795.
- Thermal Expansion and Microstructure of Al2O3-ZrO2-TiO2 Ceramics, P.Virro-Nic and J.Pilling, J.Materials Science Letters 13 (1994) 950-954.
- Defect formation in b-Aluminium Titanate and its influence on Structural Stability, R.W.Grimes and J.Pilling, J.Materials Science 29 (1993) 2245-2249.
- Superplasticity in Alumina-Zirconia Aluminium Titanate Ceramics. J.Pilling and J.Payne Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia 32 (1995) 1091-1097.
- On the Modeling of Diffusion Bonding in Superplastic Materials: Superplastic Super alpha-2. J. Pilling, N.Ridley and M.F.Islam - Materials Science and Engineering 205 (1996) 72-78.
- Mechanical Deformation of Dendrites by Fluid Flow, J.Pilling and A.Hellawell, Metallurgical Transactions A 27 (1996) 229-232.
- A Senior Year Materials Processing and Design Course, R.W.Heckel, J.Pilling and M.R.Plichta, Journal of Materials Education 18 (1996) 25-34.
- Effect of surface roughness and sheet thickness on diffusion bonding of Ti-6Al-4V, N.Ridley, J.Pilling & M.F.Islam, Materials Science and Technology, 13 (1997) 1045-1050.
- Liquidus Phase Equilibria and Microstructural Development in the quaternary system Silica-Alumina-Calcia-Magnesia, J.DeLa’O, A.Hellawell & J.Pilling, Transactions Royal Society, 456 (2000) 2315-2350.
- Porous composite prosthetic pylon for integration with skin and bone, M.Pitkin, G.Raykhtsaum, J. Pilling, O. V. Galibin, M. V. Protasov, J. V. Chihovskaya, I. G. Belyaeva, M. I. Blinova,N. M.Yudintseva, I. L. Potokin, G. P. Pinaev, .V. Moxson, V. Duz, Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 44 (2007) 723-738.
- M. Pitkin, G Raykhtsaum, J. Pilling, Y. Shukeylo, V. Moxson,V. Duz, J. Lewandowski, R. Connolly, R. S. Kistenberg, J. F. Dalton IV, B. Prilutsky, S. Jacobson, Mathematical modeling and mechanical and histopathological testing of porous prosthetic pylon for direct skeletal attachment , Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 46 (2009), 315-330.
- Role of Phosphorus on Creep Deformation in 2.25Cr-1Mo Steels, J. Pilling, N. Ridley and D. J. Gooch, Creep and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, ed. B. Wilshire and D. R. Owen, Pineridge Press, Swansea (1984) 625-636.
- Cavitation in Superplastic Aluminium Alloys, J. Pilling, B. Geary and N. Ridley, Proc. ICSMA 7, ed. H. J. McQueen and J. P. Baillon, Pergamon Press, NY, vol. 2 (1985) 823-829.
- Cavitation in Supral 220, B. Geary, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Superplasticity in Aerospace--Aluminium, ed. R. Pearce and L. Kelly, Cranfield Institute of Technology (1985) 127-135.
- Effect of Hydrostatic Pressure on Cavitation in Supral 220, J. Pilling, Superplasticity in Aerospace--Aluminium, ed. R. Pearce and L. Kelly, Cranfield Institute of Technology (1985) 136-144.
- Cavitation in Superplasticity--Experimental, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Superplasticité, ed. B. Baudelet and M. Suery, CNRS, Paris (1985) Ch.8.
- Superplasticity in Aluminium-Lithium Alloys, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Aluminium Lithium Alloys III, ed. C. Baker, P. J. Gregson, S. Harris and C. J. Peel, Institute of Metals (1985) 184-190.
- Solid State Bonding in Some Superplastic Titanium Alloys, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Titanium V, ed. G. Lutjering, U. Zwicker and W. Bunk, DGM, Munich, 2 (1985) 731-737.
- Superplastic Deformation Characteristics of some Commercial Aluminium Alloys, Aluminium Technology, Institute of Metals, London (1986) 44.1-44.7.
- Diffusion Bonding of Superplastic Aluminium Alloys, J. Pilling, N. Ridley and A. Tekin, in Diffusion Bonding, ed. R. Pearce, School of Industrial Science, Cranfield, U.K. (1987) 129-142.
- Cavitation in Aluminium Alloys during Superplastic Flow, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Superplasticity in Aerospace, ed. H. C. Heikkenen and T. R. McNelley, TMS-AIME, Warrendale, PA (1988) 183-198.
- Diffusion Bonding in Superplastic Materials, J. Pilling, Superplasticity and Superplastic Forming, ed. C. H. Hamilton and N. E. Paton, TMS-AIME (1988), 475-489.
- Bulge Forming of Domes, Z. X. Guo, J. Pilling and N. Ridley, Superplasticity and Superplastic Forming, ed. C. H. Hamilton and N. E. Paton, TMS-AIME (1988), pp. 303-308.
- Superplasticity in Al-7475 Reinforced with SiC, P. Virro and J. Pilling, in Superplasticity in Aerospace II, ed. H. C. Heikkenen and T. R. McNelley, TMS, Warrendale, PA, (1990) pp. 47-63.
- PHAUST: Application of CAD Techniques to the Relationships Between Phase Diagrams and Microstructure, J. Pilling, EPD ‘91, ed. D. R. Gaskell, TMS, Warrendale, PA, (1991) pp. 471-483.
- New Interdisciplinary Engineering Design Course in Planetary Materials and Resource Utilization, W. I. Rose, J. B. Paces, C. A. Chesner, B. J. Pletka, A. Hellawell, S. K. Kawatra, and J. Pilling, Space ‘90, American Society of Civil Engineers, New York (1990), pp. 1413-1422.
- Cavitation during Multiaxial Deformation of Superplastic Materials, J. Pilling, International Conference on Superplasticity in Advanced Materials, (1991) Osaka, Japan. Ed. S.Hori, M.Tokizane and N.Furushiro publ. Japan Society for Research in Superplasticity. pp181-190
- Superplastic Behaviour and Isostatic Diffusion Bonding of Titanium Auminide Alloy Super Alpha-2. N.Ridley, M.T.Salehi and J. Pilling, Proc. Conf Properties and Applications of Metallic and Ceramic Materials, Ed. M.H.Loretto and C.J.Beevers, Vol II, MCE Publications, Birmingham (1992) 1007- 1012.
- Superplasticity and Diffusion Bonding of microduplex super alpha-2, N.Ridley, M.F.Islam and J.Pilling, in Structural Intermetallics, ed. R.Darolia, J,Lewandowski and C.T.Liu, publ. TMS, Warrendale, PA, (1993) 63-68.
- Hign Rate Superplasticity in Al2O3-ZrO2-Al2TiO5 Ceramics, J.Payne and J.Pilling, in Advances in Superplasticity and Superplastic Forming, Ed. N.Chandra, H.Garestani and R.E.Goforth, pub TMS, Warrendale, PA, 1993 p 73-85.
- Isostatic Diffusion Bonding of Ti-6Al-4V and Super Alpha-2 Intermetallic alloy. N.Ridley, M.F.Islam and J.Pilling, in Proc. 7th Int. Titanium Conf., San Diego July 1992. Ed. F.H.Froes and I Caplan, publ TMS, Warrendale Pa. (1993) 1625-1632.
- Superplasticity in Alumina-Zirconia-Aluminium Titanate Ceramics, J.Pilling and J.Payne, in proc. Superplasticity:60 years after Pearson, Ed. N.Ridley, publ. Institute of Materials, London (1995) 133-138,
- A Senior Level Materials Processing and Design Course, R.W Heckel, M.R.Plichta and J.Pilling, Proc. 1995 American Society of Engineering Education Conference, Anaheim Ca. Session 1664. p 982-987. Also presented at the Workshop on Materials Education “Changing the paradigm in Materials Education” MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, November 30, 1995 by R.W.Heckel
- Benefits of Capstone Design Courses in Materials Education, R.W.Heckel, W.W.Milligan, C.L.Nassaralla, J.Pilling & M.R.Plichta, Proc. 4th Intl.Conf. on Frontiers of Polymers and Advanced Materials, Cairo,Egypt, Jan4-7, 1997, Plenum press.
- Hydrochloric Acid Pickling of Coiled Steel Rods, K.H. Lee, R. J. Adams, R. Fasset, G. Jacque, M. Lewanski, T. Poquette, C. L. Nassaralla and J.Pilling, Proceedings of the 80th Steelmaking conference, Chicago, IL, April13-16, 1997, pp.615-619.
- Superplasticity and Diffusion Bonding of Avesta 2304 microduplex stainless steel, J.Pilling, Z.C.Wang & N.Ridley, ‘Superplasticity and Superplastic Forming 1998’. Ed. A.K.Ghosh & T.R.Bieler, publ. The Metallurgical Society, Warrendale PA. 1998, pp 297-304.
||Creep deformation of 2.25Cr-1Mo steel weldments,
Characterization of corrosion in sea water condensor tubing,
Erosion-Corrosion of superheater piping
||Superplastic forming of aluminium alloys
||Solid State Bonding of Titanium Alloys
Evaluation of superplasticity in near alpha titanium alloys
|Ministry of Defense
||Sustained load cracking of titanium
||Development of superplasticity in aluminium base metal matrix composites
||Rapid forming of ceramics,
Low thermal expansion thermal barrier coatings
|Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (UK)
||Superplasticity and diffusion bonding of duplex super stainless steels
|Charter Steel, Saukville, WI
||Ultrasonic pickling of steel
|US Luge Association
||Friction between ice and steel at high velocity
|National Science Foundation, Ford Motor Co and General Motors
||Numerical classification of cast microstructure
|Norsk Hydro Automotive N.A.
||Microstructure modification of 6xxx aluminium alloys for hydroforming
Characterization of SWAAT corrosion in 3xxx aluminium alloys
|Insituform technologies Inc.
||Cost minimization of composite cured in place waste water piping
||Design of titanium composite prosthetic devices
|St. Gobain Ceramics and Plastics
||Reinforced Cutting Discs