Penny overseeing the Suzuki Elders booth at the BC Elder's Gathering in Abbotsford, July, 2011.
Education and Programs Working Group
Strategic Planning Goals
Working from an elder perspective, Suzuki Elders provide environmental education opportunities for elders and youth.
Some past Education Working Group Activities:
- Institution of monthly meetings of the Education Group (starting April 30, 2011)
- Contributions to SFU Friesen Conference “Growing Old in a Changing Climate” (May 24-26, 2011)
- Development of a Suzuki Elders booth display for regional community events
- Attendance with our Suzuki Elder display at the 35th and 36th BC Elders Gathering (July 2011/12), Bowfest (August 2011),the SFU Sustainability Festival (Sept. 2011), the Summerhill Retirement Community Earth Day Event (April, 2012), the DSF Workshop on Connecting Youth with Nature (May, 2012), Salt Spring Island event on the Role of Elders Today (May, 2012), Canada Day Celebrations at Canada Place (July, 2012), ZoomerShow in Vancouver Convention Centre (Feb 2013)
- Contributions to the Suzuki Elders blog and website
- Lecture at Eldercollege, “BC Elders in a Changing Environment”, Capilano University (Nov. 15th, 2011).
- Involvement in the PICS -sponsored Science in Action workshops for Vancouver schools.
- Environmental Lecture Series offered by Suzuki Elders at Eldercollege, Capilano University: "Transitions - Back to the Future" (March/April, 2012)
- Presentation at the 36th BC Elders Gathering in Abbottsford (July 2012)
- Developed subgroups on Story Telling and Discussion Guide for Force of Nature film (2012/13)
- Suzuki Elder workshop "Setting the Context for Change: Crisis and change making, how deep do we need to go?" given by Suzuki Elder Kathryn Cholette (Feb 2013)