What does it mean?
The term, "El Cuenco", meaning vessel or three-legged bowl, refers to the earthen bowls that are used to carry water in El Salvador. It Illustrates the complementary forces of fragility and strength, and the opposing forces of nurturing and abandonment. We are aware, as human beings, that we have the capacity to fill the vessel with abundant grains and joy, or neglect its capacity to impart change.
Who are we and what do we do?
- Established in 1997 by Peg Gregson and her husband Jeff Gregson with the goal of improving the lives of impoverished people in the developing world.
- Co-managed by a master's level, trained and registered dietition/public health nutritionist
- El Cuenco is a United States-based non-profit [501-(c)3]. This means that all donations are tax-deductible.
- We work specifically in several rural, impoverished villages in southern El Salvador and in selected "barrios" (neighborhoods) of the urban capital of San Salvador. (We continue to expand as donations continue to come in).
- This organization focuses on five primary areas: nutrition, education, health, medical, and small economic development projects. These five areas form an integrated network that fosters community development. This evolving process permits the introduction of new methods and ideas into the community fabric.
What can YOU do?
- Any and all donations could mean the difference between life and death.
MAP OF EL SALVADOR