Senior 2003

Archived Reports, Player Profiles & Information

Division 3 - League Results

Eire Og 1-06 1-10 St Gall's L
Rossa - - Eire Og L
St John's 0-14 0-05 Eire Og L
Eire Og - - O'Donnell's L
Eire Og 1-12 0-05 Rasharkin W
Eire Og 0-10 0-08 St Paul's W
Aldergrove 0-08 4-13 Eire Og W
Eire Og 0-11 0-13 Rossa L
Glenravel 1-09 0-06 Eire Og L
Cargin 3-17 3-04 Eire Og L
Eire Og 0-04 3-14 St John's L
O'Donnell's 2-11 4-11 Eire Og W
Rasharkin 0-12 1-08 Eire Og L
Eire Og 2-11 0-04 Aldergrove W
Eire Og 0-10 1-11 Cargin L
St Paul's 2-08 1-12 Eire Og W
St Gall's 1-17 0-08 Eire Og L
Eire Og - - Glenravel D

Again the Ogs failed to win their first league match in a game where the points should have gone their way. Playing against the wind in the half Eire Og trailed St Gall's 1-06 to 0-03 at half time. A goal keeping error gifted the Milltown men their goal early on, but good points from Gavin McLaughlin and Dee McBryan kept the Ogs in the game. The second half saw the Ogs dominate. A Peter Elliott goal and points from Paul Taggart, Gaggs and Seamus Holmes brought the Ogs to within 4 points but that was to be the difference at the end. However, had the Ogs converted two one on one goal opportunites then the match would've been won.


The Ogs went in 1-9 to 0-03 down at half time, but brought it back in the second half to a point at one stage when we finally decided to play. Ended up losing by three. We gave away a lot of sloppy points but played well in the second half, up the hill and against the breeze as well (if only we would have started the match the same way we would have won easily). Peter Elliott scored Eire Ogs only goal.


Eire Og went to St John's and disappointingly lost. Trailing by two points at half time, mainly due to the Johnnies accurate free taker, the Ogs then failed to perform in the second half. A lack of urgency, direction and discipline has cost Eire Og dear so far.


After a poor display against O'Donnell's, the Ogs were desperate for a good result against Rasharkin. We started well and, thanks to a Gareth McLaverty penalty, went in at half time 1-04 to 0-04 ahead. A sending off early in the second half ensured that Rasharkin were going to have a hard time coming back, and Eire Og ran out easy winners in the end. Our midfield and forwards dominated the game, while Paul Taggart and Neil and Ciaran Ryan had good games in defence. Michael Curran and Rowan Vernon both produced vital catches in nets. The Ogs's scorers were Peter Elliott, Gareth McLaverty, Emmett Holmes, Colm McAuley, Fra Grimley, Dee McBryan and Chris Smye.


Eire Og overcame a battling St Paul's team to win by two points. The Ogs competed really well in and around the middle of the park, where the match was won. Gareth McLaverty had a good game at half forward, the Ogs' full back line withstood late St Pauls' pressure as they went for goals and keeper Rowan Vernon made some fine catches, none more so than right at the death with the St Pauls full forwards bearing down on him.


The Ogs gave a sparkling second half performance to bury Aldergrove in a one sided game. Eire Og, playing up the hill in the first half, took a two point lead, only to fall asleep for 10 or 15 fifteen minutes, allowing the Crumlin men to level. But Barry Hall's fisted goal ensured that the Ogs had a comfortable 1-06 to 0-03 lead at half time.

Goals for Peter Elliott, Seamus Holmes(who, along with brother Emmett, ran the Aldergrove defence ragged) and an excellent goal from Colm McAuley sealed the victory. Other scorers included Emmett Holmes, Fra Grimley and Chris Smye who had an outstanding game.


A two point defeat to Rossa and a loss away to Glenravel followed. Both were close games and had the Ogs been able to take their chances, then they could have easily picked up 4 points instead of none. Injuries and holidays had been disrupting the Ogs, and heavy defeats to Cargin and St Galls followed. O'Donnell's then offered a chance for some much needed league points and revenge for the Championship exit. A good six point win lifted the spirits, but a one point defeat away to a big Rasharkin team was disappointing, especially given the amount of chances we missed.


Aldergrove came to Belfast next, only to suffer another heavy defeat. Johnny Quinn netted for the Ogs after picking up a loose ball in the Aldergrove defence and slamming it past the keeper. This paved the way for a strong first half with the Ogs dominant all over the pitch. Indeed Aldergrove were scoreless until two quick points just before half time. 1-06 to 0-02 at half time.
Eire Og started the second half as they had played in the first. Peter Elliott added a second goal before some late pressure from Aldergrove as they sought to get some consolation scores. Final score 2-11 to 0-04. Point scorers included Peter Elliott, Conor Wills, Colm McAuley and Chris Smye. It would be hard to single any one player out for praise. The Ogs defended well as a unit and chances were taken when they arose. Overall a good performance.


Cargin came down from Toome next to play the Ogs, and went away with the two points, as Eire Og, not for the first time, wasted too many chances. The Ogs played good football, but didn't get the scores they deserved. A disappointing result in a game they should have won.


Eire Og then went to St Pauls determined not to let another opportunity for a win to go by. The Ogs had a perfect start. Conor Wills picked up the breaking ball from the throw in, rode a couple of tackles and was fortunate enough to see his long punt forward bounce over the bar. Two more points followed quickly and St Pauls were all at sea. However midway through the first half the Shaws Road men came back into it with a goal and couple of points from ex-Og Garvin Mitchell. It could have been worse as keeper Rowan Vernon took the legs away from St Pauls' full forward as he was set to score. But Vernon made amends as he saved Mitchell's penalty, pushing it away to safety. The Ogs rallied again and went in 0-08 to 1-03 ahead at half time.
St Pauls came at Eire Og at the start of the second half, and the Ogs' form in their last match threatened to return as some easy chance were spurned and the ball given away too easily. St Pauls had drawn level before an Emmett Holmes goal and a further couple of points gave Eire Og a commanding lead. Neil Ryan was unlucky not to kill the game off as his left foot shot was turned away at the foot of the post by the St Pauls' keeper. St Pauls again came back at the Ogs, getting another goal which looked suspiciously like a square ball. Eire Og seemed to lose their shape and gave away several silly frees. It was a tense last ten minutes, with
producing a point blank save, but the Ogs held on for the win.
Scorers for the Ogs included Emmett Holmes' goal, Gareth McLaverty, Colm McAuley, Peter Elliott, Chris Smye, Conor Wills.


Needing 2 points to definitely avoid the relegation playoffs, Eire Og went to St Galls looking for a win but came up against a very strong St Galls side. The first half was dominated by the Milltown men, who were first to every ball and every shot seemed to split the uprights. Eire Og continued to waste chances in front of goal, missing 4 easily scoreable chances. Their only return came from points from Neil Ryan, who was the Ogs' best player on the night, and Johnny Quinn. Half time score: 0-10 to 0-02
It was a different Ogs team in the second half, as they dug in and fought for every ball. McAuley, Elliott, Holmes and Ryan all played well. Points from Neil Ryan again, Barry Hall, Colm McAuley and Peter Elliott matched St Galls' scores in an even second half, but it could have been better as over elaboration, taking too much time and poor finishing meant that several chances went begging. Right at the death a goal kick went straight to an unmarked St Galls forward who had the time to lob the ball over the stranded keeper into the open net - an unlucky end, but one that summed up the match: St Galls took their chances. Final score: 1-17 to 0-08.

Ulster Junior Sevens Tournament 2003


Participating teams include Ardglass, Ballykinlar, Darragh Cross and Dundrum (Down), Glenravel and St Agnes (Antrim), Ardmore and Ogra Colmcille (Derry), Killeavy and Granemore (Armagh), Castlefin and Robert Emmetts (Donegal) and Lisnaskea from Fermanagh.


Eire Og v Ardglass, Down LOST
Eire Og v Killeavy,
Armagh LOST


Tennents Intermediate Championship 2003


1st Round - Corrigan Park, 29th June 6.00pm
Eire Og 1-07 2-11 O'Donnell's


Eire Og lost this rather subdued Championship match, gifting O’Donnells two soft goals early in the first half, which turned out to be the difference between the two sides in the end, despite spurning enough chances to win the game.


The Ogs started brightly, playing against the wind in the first half. Three scoreable frees were missed before Peter Elliott put the Ogs ahead. Then Eire Og were hit with a hat trick of misfortune. Gavin McLaughlin was caught out by a long, hopeful ball which dropped kindly to an O’Donnell’s corner forward who promptly fired past Kevin Brown to score a goal. Minutes later, a mix up in the Ogs’ full back line allowed a shot on goal which Brown did really well to touch on to the bar, but unfortunately the ball broke to the O’Donnells full forward who punched it into the empty net. Ciaran Ryan was then challenged late, after clearing the ball, and collided with the goal post, damaging his knee and had to be carried off.


Eire Og were on the ropes now, but managed to get themselves together and stage a comeback. Dee McBryan, who had a good game, won the ball in midfield, ran with it and then played in Chris Smye who turned his marker and drove the ball past the O’Donnells keeper for what was to be the score of the game. Peter Elliott scored two more frees and Barry Hall was unlucky to see his shot ruled wide before half time, as the Ogs trailed 2-06 to 1-03 at the break.


The second half was more combative as a few yellow cards were shown for off the ball and late tackles. Indeed it wasn’t until about 10 minutes into the second half that the first scoring opportunity came. Seamus Holmes was hauled back as he went for goal and a penalty was given. Peter Elliott struck the penalty well but the keeper pulled off a brilliant save to tip the ball on to the woodwork and out to safety. Eire Og were the better side now, but just couldn’t convert their chances, missing several easy chances. Elliott did score another three points from frees and Emmett Holmes pointed from play, but O’Donnells took their chances when they got them and that was the difference at the end.


Scorers: Chris Smye(1-0), Peter Elliott(0-6), Emmett Holmes(0-1)

Challenge Matches


Eire Og 1-06 v 0-09 Glenravel

Eire Og drew this challenge match after the referee failed to show. The Ogs led 1-03 to 0-02 at half time inspired by a goal and a point from Gaggs. Wholesale changes at half time seemed to disrupt our fluid play of the first half and Glenravel chipped away at our lead. We were guilty of missing some very scorable opportunities and should have wrapped the game up well before the end. Other scorers included Sean O'Neill, Emmett Holmes and Ozzie.


Eire Og 0-07 v 0-14 Carryduff

An understrength Ogs team lost to a fitter Carryduff at Cherryvale, now managed by the Ogs' very own Alec McGoran. Points from Colm McAuley, Peter Elliott and Conor Wills in the first half meant the Ogs were trailing by two at half time. Although Carryduff had more of the possession, Eire Og took their chances when they came. Conor Wills added a second point, Peter Elliott scored 2 more and Michael Rafferty also pointed. A missed penalty by the Ogs would have made the final outcome closer, but it was a good first run out for the Ogs.


Eire Og 0-04 v 0-04 St Gall's

In a hastily arranged friendly, after both teams had their respective matches postponed, the points were shared. The pitch was awful and the weather and wind not much better, both of which led to a low scoring game, although there was some good football played. Conor Wills, Peter Elliott, Barry Hall and Colm McAuley were the scorers for the Ogs. But for some poor finishing in the second half, the Ogs could have won this game with a few points to spare.