posted Aug 25, 2008, 9:26 PM by Santa Clara County Emergency Information
(Santa Clara County Public Health Department)
- Due to the recent earthquake, the California Department of Health
Services is advising residents of Santa Clara County to use boiled
tap water or bottled water for drinking and cooking as a safety
- The California Department of Health Services recommends that all
water used for drinking, oral hygiene, or food preparation should be
brought to a rolling boil for at least one minute before use. This is
the preferred method to ensure that the water is safe to drink.
- Alternatively, the water can be disinfected by adding 8 drops of
regular household bleach per gallon of water and allowing it to stand
for 30 minutes before use. A chlorine-like taste and odor will result
from the purification procedure and is an indication that adequate
disinfection has taken place.
- Water purification tablets may also be used. Follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Customers will be notified when the water is again considered safe to drink.
- Visit the Food, Water, Shelter page for updates on where you can find clean drinking water.