Whether using Google+ to connect with other educators or use it with your students, this is an excellent tool for communication, collaboration, and learning. If you are in K–12 or in Higher Ed, there are great ways to leverage this tool for connecting with your own personal learning network, observing student teachers in the field, collaborating with colleagues around the world, and conducting class projects—both through Hangouts and Communities. Join this session to learn more about using Google+'s Hangouts and Communities as we explore Google+ in education.
YouTube Archive of this Session
- Suggested audience: Beginners
- Prior experience or knowledge: N/A
- Time: Tuesday, April 23, 3pm Eastern
- Session hashtag: #google+edu
- Conference hashtag: #eduonair
PresentersJulene Reed is an educator with twenty–two years of experience as a classroom teacher, technology integration specialist, and administrator. She is a Google Certified Teacher, EdTech Team Member, Educational Collaborator, CUE Lead Learner, Apple Distinguished Educator, Former ADE Board member, Discovery Education STAR Educator and Leadership Council member, and former Co–Director of iSummit, Coalition of Lighthouse Schools. Julene is also a member of the Advisory Councils of both Dr. Jane Goodall's Roots & Shoots and Polar Bears International where she is the director of the Tundra Connections program.
Director of Academic Technology, St. George's Independent School
As an education and leadership advisor, keynote speaker, and workshop presenter, she has led professional development sessions internationally through conferences, webinars, and independent consulting work. Julene’s expertise and experience as a presenter along with her enthusiastic, energetic, and interactive approach to professional development provide meaningful, motivating, and engaging opportunities for educators of all levels and disciplines.
Bill BassBill Bass is a former middle and high school English teacher and Technology Integration Specialist who now works with teachers as a Instructional Coach in the Parkway School District in St. Louis, Missouri. Bill is also an adjunct professor of educational technology for Missouri Baptist University in both online and face to face classes. As a speaker, writer and professional developer, Bill focuses on systemic and sustainable integration of technology into classrooms at all grade levels. He holds a Master of Science in Instructional Technology and a Bachelor of Science in English and is working on his Certificate of Web-based Learning.
Instructional Coach, Parkway School District
Bill is Co-President of the Educational Technology Association of Greater St. Louis (an ISTE affiliate), a Google Certified Teacher, Google Apps for Education Certified Trainer, Common Sense Media Certified Trainer, and DEN Star Educator. Currently he serves as member-at-large for the ISTE Innovative Learning Technologies Special Interest Group and is a past member of the NCTE Executive Committee. Bill is also the author of the ISTE book, "From Inspiration to Red Carpet" focusing on how and why to hold a student film festival.
Robert Allen Moody
- To watch the live stream of this session, visit Julene's Google+ Page at the appointed time and date (note times are Eastern).
- The live stream will appear as a black box with the word "Hangouts" on it (as in the screenshot of slide 5 here). Double click the black box to start watching the video.
- Open Julene's Google+ Page in two windows. On one page you can watch the live stream and in the other you can type in your comments.
- To ask the presenter questions during the Hangout, post them into the "comments" section below the live stream. Please note you need to refresh the page manually to see new comments.
- You can add this event to your calendar.