Home Businesses

Post date: May 9, 2012 2:13:50 PM

Do you know of a business operating out of their home.

Some kinds of home businesses are allowed with Home Occupation Permit, but clients or customers may not come to the house — with the exception of a licensed child care business and teachers, such as dance or piano instructors.

  • Home businesses may not display signs or store, display or sell goods on the property.
  • Repair and service businesses, such as car repair, car detailing or barbers, are prohibited.
  • You may need county permits or licenses to operate a home business.

To establish a home business you must obtain a Home Occupation Permit from the Zoning Permit Review Branch (ZPRB). Such businesses are subject to strict use limitations and other permits may be required. You may call the ZPRB at 703-222-1082, TTY 711 for additional information.

To report unpermitted home businesses follow the link.