Edward Kelly, Sr., along with his brother, emigrated from Ireland to Toledo, Ohio, in 1928 to work on a project for fellow Irishman, Pat “Oldman” Tansey. The contract that Tansey-Harris Co. needed workers for was the extension of a section of the original brick roadway of Monroe Street in Toledo, Ohio.
Ed, Sr. remained in Toledo and in 1948 started a residential sewer cleaning and repair business working out of his home. In the early 1950’s, his sons Edward, Jr. and Al started working for the business as teenagers. In the late 50s, the company moved from residential sewer repair to commercial mainline sewer and water installation; with the Sears & Roebuck site development at Westgate being one of the first projects for the company.
In 1962, the company purchased land on South Hawley Street, built an office and shop and remained there for 45 years. After the economic downturn in the late 70s and early 80s, Al went to work for the City of Toledo and Ed, Jr. continued managing the family construction business. In the mid and late 80’s Ed, Jr. sons, Jim & John joined the family business and still run the company today. Since the 1980s, the company has continued installing sewer and waterline in addition to excavation and roadway work in both the public and private sector and has also branched into sewer grouting and televising.