Mr. Hatten's 2007-2008 Edina High School Journalism Class
Journalism is an elective class that focuses on all aspects of journalism in today's society. Students will learn what role journalism plays in a democratic society, how it is a part of mass media, styles, ethics, laws and controversies surrounding the topic. In addition, students will become working journalists, writing newspaper stories, blogs, conducting interviews, writing, reporting and broadcasting their work. All aspects of new forms of journalistic media, including internet modes and other technological advances will be addressed.
There will be quizzes, homework, class work, small group work, discussion, participation and performance grades. In addition, there are two major tests: a mid-term and a final.
Online TV site
Elements of News
Conducting an interview
Building a story
Other design elements
Rhetoric and Editorial writing
- rough draft due Friday, Nov. 9, 2007
- final draft with rough drafts due Friday, Nov. 16, 2007
- Final fully edited project due embedded into blog and on video server: Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2007.
- Final edited project due embedded into blog and on video server: Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2007
- rough draft due Friday, Nov. 11, 2008
- Final draft with rough drafts attached due Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2007
- Final edited project due embedded into blog and on video server: Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2008