Answer the following questions in paragraph (3-5 good sentences) responses:
- What do you think the relationship is between news and advertisements?
- Does the content of a news program, a magazine or a newspaper affect what we as consumers purchase or wish to purchase?
- Why might some advertisers purchase airtime to specifically follow certain kinds of stories?
- Does the fact that broadcasting networks and publishing companies are often owned by national or multinational corporations affect both advertisements and the news? The relationship between the two?
- Can you think of a situation where there may be a conflict between how news is reported and the interests of corporate sponsorships?
For help, see the Columbia Journalism Review’s website: http://www.cjr.org/owners/. This web site provides a fairly comprehensive listing of large corporations that also own newspaper and magazine publishing companies as well as broadcasting companies. This listing also shows what other business concerns the corporations have.