- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 440 gm (15 oz) (3 ½ cups) all-purpose flour
- Dissolve the sugar in the water and then add the yeast. Stir well to disperse the dry yeast in the liquid.
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the yeast and water mixture slowly bit by bit and stir immediately. Keep stirring until you have a dough that holds together and doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl. Adjust the amount of water, adding more as is needed. If the dough is too wet then add a little more flour bit by bit until you achieve the correct consistency.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until it is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Add more flour or water if needed. Cover and let rest for 1 1/2 hours. Punch the dough down again, and let it rest for 1 - 1 1/2 more hours, until it's size has doubled.
Use as called for in the recipe.