- 1 cup brown rice
- 450 gm (~1lb) gm Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms or 85 gm (3 oz) of dried Shiitake mushroom.
- 2 kombu strips
- 3 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1Tbsp miso
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1Tbsp Sesame seeds.
- 3 Green onions (Scallions)
Provisional: If using dried shiitakes, then soak the mushrooms in an
amount of hot or boiling water to just cover them. Allow to stand for 30
minutes. After this step treat them as for the fresh mushrooms.
- To 2 cups of boiling water add a strip of kombu and the brown rice. Disperse the rice by swirling the pot and allow to cook covered on a low heat for 35 to 40 minutes.
- To make the dashi we add a strip of kombu to 3 cups of boiling water with the 1 Tbsp of miso. Allow this to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the stems from the shiitake and slice the remaining mushroom in about 0.5 cm (1/4 in) slices. Slice the garlic finely and grate the Tbsp of Ginger.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok and add the mushrooms, stir fry for about three minutes. Add the ginger and garlic until just fragrant.
- Remove the kombu from the dashi pot and place aside. Pour the dashi into the wok with the mushrooms on a medium heat.
- Cut the removed Kombu into 2 cm squares (~3/4 in) and add to the wok contents.
- Serve the cooked brown rice into individual dishes and top with the mushroom and other solids from the braise. Add some of the liquid to flavour the rice but not swimming. Garnish each dish with sliced green onions and a sprinkle of roasted sesame seeds.