- 2 Jalapenos chillies (mild)
- 8 small red Thai chillie (hot)
- 2 lemongrass
- 1 piece ginger peeled
- 350 gm (~¾ lb) shallots
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 candlenuts
- ½ teaspoon compressed shrimp paste (belachan, ngapi, kapi all will work with this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 500 gm (~1 lb) green beans
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 1½ Kg (~3 lb) chicken cut into individual sized pieces
- 360 ml (1½ cups) water
- 45 ml or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- salt to taste
- Trim ends of lemongrass, discarding dry outer leaves, and slice thinly.
- Homogenise jalapenos, red chilies, lemongrass, ginger, shallots, garlic, candlenuts, shrimp paste and turmeric powder to a paste.
- Trim beans and cut into 5 cm (2 in) pieces.
- Heat a 6 litre (6-qt) heavy based pot over a moderately low heat until hot.
- Add oil and heat until hot but not smoking.
- Cook seasoning paste, stirring frequently, until dry and very fragrant, about 25 minutes.
- Add chicken and sear over moderate heat, stirring, 10 minutes.
- Add water and simmer chicken, covered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- Skim any rendered fat .
- Add beans, stir and simmer, covered, until beans are almost tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar and salt.
- Simmer, covered, 5 minutes.